interlock or overlap?

jerry1967

A friend of mine who is low handicap golfer switched from the overlap grip to the ten finger (baseball) grip, he's now hitting it better than ever. The baseball grip is a correct grip as the other two, it just provides a different feel and a different comfort level. If you don't feel comfortable with the overlap anymore, try the baseball grip. As long as there is no space between your left and right hand (split grip). Switching from the interlock to the baseball however is more difficult as those two grips are more different then the overlap and baseball.

Edited by sly_sam

• 4 months later...

I have really tried to get away from the old ten finger grip many times. I have moderately big hands, and use mid size and jumbo grips and not all 2xl gloves fit. I just never feel like I can swing away with interlock or overlap grips. I have heard so many different things saying either stay with it, or change it. Maybe this is foolish to ask, but what do you all think?

• 2 weeks later...

I started with an interlock grip...changed to an overlap when I wanted to change from a draw to a fade. Dont ask why...but I can fade the ball with an overlap grip much easier. Now I actually switch between a single overlap for a fade and a double overlap (ala Jim) when I want to draw the ball. It is amazingly easy to release the club with that grip.

I actually have pretty small hands but have no problem controlling the club with an overlap grip. Todays grips are so tacky you could swing a club with a 2 finger grip and not loose it.

• 5 months later...
If all else fails, you can try the goofiest grip on Tour. Jim Furyk and the double-overlap.

post-5538-1151507991.jpg

post-5538-1151507998.jpg

I have actually been using this grip the last few rounds and am really liking it. I had been feeling like the right hand was starting to take over a bit more than it should and on occasion was fatting the ball. For some reason I went double-overlap and bam! This has been my putting grip for some time and now I'm using it for all my shots. I just feel I'm able to hold my angle coming into the ball much better on the downswing and I still have control over the swing. I'm not one to change the mechanics of my grip but I feel this change was needed and am really very comfortable with it.