World's Tallest and Fastest Roller Coaster

I'm a freak when it comes to roller coasters. So when I heard that the tallest roller coaster in the world was going up in NJ, I was estatic. I followed the construction from last July, to the opening this past weekend. Now, I must say, this thing was nuts. What is it? Well, if you look to the left, you'll see a picture I took while I went up there. Was it a long Haul? Yes, but well worth it. It's at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, NY, about 60 miles south of NYC. It's called Kingda Ka. Wierd name, I know, but you have to ride it. First, you sit in these large bucket seats, and a harness comes down over you. You creep out to this long strech of track, that leads right straight up. How will you get there? Launch speeds like you wouldn't believe. You go from 0-128 mph in 3.5 seconds, yes, that stat is right. That's got to be one of the fastest accerating things (besides planes and spaceships) on the earth. Your face is just warped by the speed. Then you head straight up the 456 foot tower, twist, come over the top, go straight back down, twist 270* to the right, then go over a 160 foot hill. It's over in a moment, but you can see the Atlantic Ocean on the horizon. That had to have been the best ride ever. Watch the video at http://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatadventure/index.asp That link will bring you to the park home, then scroll down until you reach the Take a Virtual ride icon, click, watch, and want to ride it.

Enjoy!

Then you head straight up the 456 foot tower

Looks imposing enough in the avatar you have! WOW!!

I have chills down my back already! :surprize:

All I can say is "Lemme at that bad boy" :smile2:

Speed is a need for me.

theres something very similar, almost identical to this at cedar point in sandusky, ohio called the dragster...it is the largest adrenaline rush you will ever experience.

if this is anything like that, which it seems to be only a little taller, this ride has to be amazing.

theres something very similar, almost identical to this at cedar point in sandusky, ohio called the dragster...it is the largest adrenaline rush you will ever experience.

if this is anything like that, which it seems to be only a little taller, this ride has to be amazing.

Followed construction on that one as well bedore it opened in 2003. I also rode that one this past year. It is a great rush. It doesn't have the hill at the end of the large drop though, and that's what really gives you the "air time" (period of zero gravity similar to what astronouts feel in space; when you weight nothing). Another great ride at Cedar point was Millennium Force. That is more conventional. It brings you up 310 feet then drops you at 92 mph through many more hills and over-banked turns. That is still my favorite roller coaster.

That roller coaster scares me but if you somehow convinced me to get on it i might try it. If it was my own will, i'd be a wuss and not go on it. The whole roller coaster thing just isn't for me.

Plus, in West Edmonton Mall, the coaster that they have fell off the tracks one time and i think all the people that were riding it died. Thats not helping me get on a roller coaster. They've since remade it and it's now alot safer.

Anyone who isn't from around Edmonton been to the West Ed Mall? ( mostly to the people who aren't from Canada)

hell yeah. im in ohio for a month or so on business, im going to have to make it a point to get up there.

I was there for 2 days and still didn't get to do everything. I did all the coasters, but I wanted to ride them some more. I would say if you could stay for 3 days, you'll have the time of your life (at least without golf in it. When you go on a golf vacation, that's a different story). I rode Millennium force 5 times, twice in the front (best seat on the ride BTW) , twice in the back, and once in the middle. I also rode it at night, when you can't even see the track. The wooden roller coaster they have, Mean Streak, is awesome, they have a stand up, Mantis, another launching one, wicked Twister, and an inverted one, Raptor, which is awesome. You go upsidedown 5 times. Ride in the front on all of them, especially Raptor, because you'll be able to see the track the best. If you don't sit in the front of Raptor, you won't see anything at all.

have fun.

its the exact same thing. only 38 feet taller.

That looks awesome. I have been on the tallest wooden roller coaster in the world in Cincinatti at Paramounts King's Island. It was insane and it also was the only wooden roller coaster to have a loop in it pretty nice but this one looks way better.

Hunter

SON OF BEAST!!! Went on that this past year. Great ride. Really shaky, but great. Front seat rocks. A 214 foot drop on a wooden coaster, reaching speeds of 78MPH and going over a loop. When I tell people those stats and say it was made of wood, they think I'm lying.

That looks awesome. I have been on the tallest wooden roller coaster in the world in Cincinatti at Paramounts King's Island. It was insane and it also was the only wooden roller coaster to have a loop in it pretty nice but this one looks way better.

Hunter

SON OF BEAST!!! Went on that this past year. Great ride. Really shaky, but great. Front seat rocks. A 214 foot drop on a wooden coaster, reaching speeds of 78MPH and going over a loop. When I tell people those stats and say it was made of wood, they think I'm lying.

Yes agreed. The Beast wasnt too bad either. It is the longest roller coaster in the world.

Hunter

im old school about the ride, im a big fan of the magnum, the slow grinding chain to build anticipation can't be beat, millenium force is a close second and the dragster is way too short of a ride to feel much of anything. being in central ohio is great you are and hour and a half from king's island and a little longer to sandusky and the roller coaster park of the world. cedar pt takes all.

im old school about the ride, im a big fan of the magnum, the slow grinding chain to build anticipation can't be beat, millenium force is a close second and the dragster is way too short of a ride to feel much of anything. being in central ohio is great you are and hour and a half from king's island and a little longer to sandusky and the roller coaster park of the world. cedar pt takes all.

Agree with you there. Cedar Point is THE BEST park in the world. I has all the types of coasters. I also agree about the chain lift thing, more anticipation (millennium force's is so quiet and quick!). Only thing I hate about Magnum XL200 is the seat restraints. They hurt going over the hills because they are so hard and skinny. Cedar Point is rumored to be working on a 500+ footer for 2006, read here at the bottom of the page.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

KingdaKa suffered a huge setback on June 8th, when the launch cable snapped. It will be closed, according to the park, for several weeks.

Update on Kingda Ka. Apparently, the launch cable did not break. What happened was on the launch track, where the cable located, some bolts were loose. This caused the train to hit the track, taking out many magnetic brakes (they are lowered into the track for launch, and brought right back up after the train is through the launch mode. Kingda Ka is designed to just make it over the hill. In the morning and at night, when it's cool, the track expands, causing more resistance during launch, which can cause the train to roll backwards off the hill becasue of inadiqute speed. Perfectly normal.). Anyway, these brakes are custom made in switzerland, and must be made again. The portion of the track hit by the train needs to be replaced, and a whole new testin phase will begin (usually a month). So, we are looking at Kingda Ka to reopen sometime in August. Sorry to all you thrill junkies.

Strange but true. The cars have little clearance between the track, a few inches. So a little loose track can cause a major malfunction. Luckily, nobody was on the ride since it was testing for the day.