Master Clubmaker Katsuhiro Miura "The Iron Chef"

dennishiggins

To Chris and all my friends I am sharing this information, because this site understands true craftsmanship.

Chris believes in philosophies as the "Iron Chef" adheres too, and if you are reading this you are probably a "ho"

This was not published through our normal golf media channels. Maybe, for a good reason....

Master Clubmaker Katsuhiro Miura “The Iron Chef”

When Retief Goosen won the 2001 U.S. Open, he was swinging irons forged by Katsuhiro Miura, a craftsman from Himeji, Japan, the home of the ancient art of samurai swordmaking. Miura, 64, had also made the irons Ian Woosnam played to win the 1991 Master, and the ones used by Jose Maria Olazebel three years later in his first victory at Augusta National. None of their tour bags bore the name of Miura, but the manufactures paying the players to use their clubs had commissioned Miura to give them that extra edge.

Miura has been making clubs for 47 years, and his own company, Miura Giken, manufactures its own clubs in Japan, which are sold in North America under the name of Miura. His sons Shinei and Yos**taka, both are master craftsmen themselves. Mr. Miura remains intimately involved in every detail - he still sits in the No. 1 chair on the grinding line.

If few golfers are aware of his company, it’s only because Miura doesn’t sponsor any tour professionals. As the Vice-President of Miura of North America stated “Mr. Miura believes the good players will find him” When Tiger Woods was playing Titleist, the company called on Miura to make limited edition irons. Titleist brought its own dies and designs; Miura’s contribution was his 14 step manufacturing process.

Miura is known for his elegant muscleback irons. Most tour pros believe there’s nothing like the buttery feel of a ball hit with a muscleback iron. Tiger Woods plays Nike Blades (as they are often called, because they look like knives or for the matter swords). and says there’s little or no sensation of impact when the clubface collides with the ball. Some tour pros also find it easier to “work” the ball with musclebacks - to hit a greater variety of shots and exert more control over the flight of the ball. Davis Love III, who plays Titleist musclebacks, says, “You get a better feel and you can keep the ball down.” Miura makes both musclebacks and cavity backs, but Mr. Miura is convinced that amateurs wouldn’t suffer if they set there cavity backs aside. Mr. Miura said “the image I have of the clubhead is not only of it hitting the ball, but the feel of it hitting the ball.” This is what I think about all the time. How can I improve the clubhead so that it will be efficient as possible?

My 2 cents:

I hope you take the time to read between the lines....Tour Pro's generally do no play retail equipment. OEM's meet contract demands of players and go from there to make a profit. Pay Chris to make trips to Japan and export tour quality equipment from Japan. - Most everybody will miss Mizuno. But Miura, has a big smile on his face. one foundry (his) for all clubs.... Do yourself a favor and know where your clubs are from.

Please enjoy the article, I love my Miura's and would never change. But you all know - nobody else treats us lefties with any dignity....

r/ Dennis

can anyone recommend a miura for a 2 year player at a 15 handicap???

they will build the set the way you want. build a pro combo set.

3-7 Cavity Back, 8-PW + MORE WEDGES - Tournament Blades. Will last you a long time. Maybe shaft change as you improve. (cheaper than replacing)

Unless you flat wear them out. Pro's play the same irons for years if they trust them.

"Build it and they will come" Field of Dreams....

Build a set, and you will improve and love the game for life....

r/dennis