ViQ Driver shaft recommendations

james13

Hello All,

I have a 2008 ViQ driver 10.5 and am either looking to either change shafts or change drivers to a TS 445 or 701g. My ViQ driver has the stock stiff shaft resulting in high ball flight with little roll which I prefer a lower boring flight and more roll because I play in windy areas. Control is very good with an easy swing but snap hooks when I put some effort into it. My swing speed is 99-103mph.

I'd like recommendations on shafts or if a change in driver is a better overall decision.

Thank You

Edited by james13

Since the ViQ 2008 is a very good driver, I would experiment with the shaft first. Recently I had very good experience with two shafts, both by Diamana, the Kai'li and Bassara Hawk. Both shafts are mid/high kick which would give you a lower launch and more roll. Although the White would be even lower and less spin but the first two and particularly the Bassara, would makes a great FW shaft if it does not work out as a driver shaft. White Board as a FW shaft is a challenge.

I prefer a lower boring flight and more roll because I play in windy areas. Control is very good with an easy swing but snap hooks when I put some effort into it. My swing speed is 99-103mph.

I'd like recommendations on shafts or if a change in driver is a better overall decision.

Hey James-I hook also on bad shots around 105-108.

I've personally tested all the xdrives of 09 and of 08, save the the 430p.

445 is a wonderful driver w/the stock shaft. It will go low and roll aton. IMO a tad less forgiving than the 901 and puts alittle more ball spin than the 901 but only around 200rpm.

901w/stock shaft> I've sold 2 of my 3 901s to guys that have attested to its explosive feel and low long straight shots that amazingly do not go left.(though they have complained that the stock shaft does feel a bit weak) For me the head shape at address is what counts. 901 shape really helps me as I fight the hook. Superior Confidence over the 701 and the 701G and GR. My results were not as favorable for my swing w/the 701G. I would hit it 20-30 yards further w/the G but 2/5 shots were uncontrollable hooks that ended up 10-20 yards left of actual aiming point.

I have mine shafted w/rombax 901 7x07. It helps me w/the dispersion and is hefty enough to control that hook to a nice mid boring shot that rolls a good 20 yards avg.

I've never played the VIQ drivers so I cannot compare.

As xchangmanx said, and I agree 100%, the TS 901 is a gem.

To save yourself a bunch of money unless you do want a new Driver, I would put in a Whiteboard in Stiff flex. Noticeably lower launch, lower spin.

The ViQ is a very good driver and considerably more forgiving than any of the X-Drives but it is indeed weighted for a draw and has a closed face. If you want to stick with the ViQ for its forgiveness I would suggest the kai'li 60 or 70. I'm assuming that you can get aggressive with your swing or tempo which is leading to the hooks or high shots? The Kai'li helps reduce hooks and provides lower trajectory, a heavier weight could smooth out your swing. Something to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to fitter and he analyzed my swing with a Vector. He recommended various shafts that would fit my swing with the ViQ 10.5 head with the characteristics of each shaft.

His recommendations based on what I told him I was willing to spend was (not in order of recommendation):

Diamana Kai'li

Diamana Fubuki

Matrix Ozik Code 6

Graphite Design Tour AD Quattro Tech (blue shaft)

Graphite Design Tour AD Quattro Tech (green shaft)

He gave me a lot of info and said all were excellent for me. He personally preferred the GD with the green shaft but said the Ozik would have the best feel. He said the Diamana's are very good and would require the most aggressiveness which he said would not be a problem for me. A lot of info for me to filter through and I had to leave so no decision as of yet and need to go back.