Carl's 1st Edition Seven Putter - Tuned by Gold's Factory

gocchin

We recently offered some of our customers rare SM490A heads supplied by Seven for modification by Gold's Factory.

Carl (mygreenaliem) was one of the members who jumped at one of the heads as its shape resembled the no longer available Gold's Factory Private Stock No.1.

SM490A used to be a very popular choice on limited edition Gauge Design Japan putters of yesteryears... it is a cross between SUS303 and Carbon Steel, not mushy soft like Carbon Steel but not as firm as SUS303/GSS. It gives the best of both worlds, in a soft feel with feedback. These heads are sourced by Seven for Gold's so the Seven logo was placed on the toe and these unique one of a kind models have been deemed the limited 1st edition.

A couple of things Carl wanted was a very soft feel - so we opted for the original PZ Milling from Gold's and he wanted it super clean looking. One challenge was that he wanted the length at 31" meaning we would have to make some adjustments to bring the swing weight to a respectable number.

We decided on a satin chrome finish, and orbit around G weights in the sole but with black translucent paintfill. The face would also have weights in the form of silver orichalum.

Finally no sight line or dot and just a single Kanji in the cavity, for Ninjitsu.

At 31" we needed the head to be quite a bit heavier so Sasasya-san machined thicker than usual sole weights to help the head up to 400+ grams. Carl and I discussed heavy shafts and we opted for an NS Pro Purple heavy putter shaft which is 149g. This is about 30g heavier than the typical putter shaft and also aids in not only bringing up the swing weight but also the feel of the putters weights in the golfer's hands.

I have spoken to both Sasaya-san and George Takei (formerly of Gauge Design and now of George Spirits fame) and they both believe that a heavier head along with a heavier shaft improves accuracy and feel in the hands. I was at George's office a few months ago and I mentioned to him I wished the Mono M1 heads were heavier and that I was thinking of modifying the putter with added weights on the head. He suggested I instead increase the weight of the shaft. His explanation was that too heavy head in fact can cause the putter to go offline especially for amateur golfers with a less than perfect stroke. Both he and Sasaya-san say a heavier shaft puts the weight of the putter in you hands and reduces the vibration and flex of the shaft (albeit flex is not very much in a putter anyway). George does this for his current tour players, instead of adding weight to the putter head he adds weight to various areas of the shaft. A putter is all about balance, so a sum of all its parts, the right weight head plus the right weight shaft.

Carl's Putter came to my house last week for me to snap some photos and I have to admit, I putted a few around the house and the putter felt awesome in my hands. I have never used a 31" putter but... I think I should! I am only 162cm and stand more crouched over my putter. Have always used 33" and even then choked down. In the past I owned Gold's carbon steel putters with PZ milling and I found the feel way TOO soft (if there is such a thing as too soft!). I was very impressed with the feel of Carl's SM490A with PZ Milling. Soft but still with feedback.

All these Golds Tuned SM490A heads come with certificates and specs from Gold's Factory.

Carl I hope you like it as well. Here are the pics... very very clean!

post-8383-0-67068800-1386394018.jpg

post-8383-0-19868700-1386394032.jpg

post-8383-0-70408400-1386394044.jpg

post-8383-0-07238900-1386394058.jpg

post-8383-0-85645900-1386394247.jpg

Very nice.

The more I see of this stuff the more I like the cleanand simple look and design.

Less is more, to my eye anyway

Well done

I do hope Santa speeds up and delivers before Christmas :tsg_smilie_smile2: . I have said it already T, but many thanks to you and Chris and THE putter guru Sasaya. I will take you up on visiting him when I come to Tokyo next year.

T, if every one goes George spirits way on adding a heavy shaft instead of weight to the head, that may not bode well for sasaya... :-)

It is a balance of both. You need the right head weight as well. It cannot JUST be a heavy shaft which is why Carl's head is 402g.

So T, what is the overall static weight of this putter?

578g which is usually too heavy for me but because the swing weight was kept at D2, it did not feel heavy at all... I really liked the feeling and I think I will make one with similar specs.

It is a balance of both. You need the right head weight as well. It cannot JUST be a heavy shaft which is why Carl's head is 402g.

Just being cheeky T :-). What you say is definitely true about the balance of the 2. 402 grams is massive. I'm sure Carl will enjoy it as it's built to his specs. Congrats again Carl!

Just being cheeky T :-). What you say is definitely true about the balance of the 2. 402 grams is massive. I'm sure Carl will enjoy it as it's built to his specs. Congrats again Carl!

402g is massive but it doesn't feel head heavy at 31", this combo produces a very nice stroke!

Thanks for the notes guys.

T - STOP IT!!! I have been waiting 6 months for this putter and your comments are not helping :tsg_smiley_streak: the fact I am stuck in Iraq and can't use it until Jan 6th!!

That is one gorgeous putter! Love the clean minimalist marking and design. Can almost feel it right through the pics. Congrats, Carl, and whatever you're doing in Iraq, stay safe!

I was looking at the putter and I never realize it was that heavy compare with others, I'm a big fan of heavy putter so this going to be one of my future lists.

That is one gorgeous putter! Love the clean minimalist marking and design. Can almost feel it right through the pics. Congrats, Carl, and whatever you're doing in Iraq, stay safe!

Thank you.

wow thats an amazing putter soo clean looking.

by the way what is silver ochliarum?

man 31" putter bet it feels so balanced with the heavy head and shaft!