The Z101's vs the Hogan Apex Plus's

JerryMB

Jerry, I sent you a PM.

In short...I'm sometimes confused that I'm hitting the Plus when I'm hitting the z101s. :?

Are they that similar?, I used to use the Apex Plus irons, I loved those but like many ho's we have to switch. :wink:

Jerry, I sent you a PM.

In short...I'm sometimes confused that I'm hitting the Plus when I'm hitting the z101s. :?

Are they that similar?, I used to use the Apex Plus irons, I loved those but like many ho's we have to switch. :wink:

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days. The Hogan's probably hit a little lower--hard to remember though, and my swing has changed since I've played the Plus. Also, I think the z101 feel a little more crisp and spin the ball better, i.e. hold the greens. Jerry may be able to soon correct my memory....Regardless, we're talking subtle differences.

Dadriver, well i was surprise that you think that they are that close, I was expecting something like the Z101's walk all over the Hogans, or something to that order, with all the talk about how great the Z's are, i am shocked, but i also know your a straight shooter, and that you do your best to to give a accurate review, JerryMB

IMO the my Z101s feel better than the Apex+ that I have played but that could have a lot to do with the shaft choice. As for playability I do prefer the grind (sole leading edge) of the Z101 over the Apex+ and I think the long irons are clearly easier to hit. That said they are both great irons and it is too bad the Apex+ was discontinued.

I've hit Hogans all my life--learned on the blades in my 20's, now into my 60's. My latest Hogans were Apex pluses. I hit the Z's just to see what they were like and was converted, mainly due to feel through the hitting area. The Z's felt a little crisper, yet were still buttery-smooth like I've been used to with the Hogans. Hard to describe, but I just liked the feel a little better. I also think the top line is thinner (though not by much) and the offset less, which I like. After playing with them awhile, I see the following differences:

1, Z's go a little higher, but also a little longer when pured.

2. You can work the Z's a little easier (fades, draws, trouble shots)

All-in-all, I think I like the Z's just a little better than the Hogans, but not by a lot. One thing that I fear with Hogan being moved to the Callaway iron works is that they will lose their quality and craftsmanship since many of the artisans have elected to stay in Ft. Worth. Hope it ain't so, but logic says it will be that way.

I've hit Hogans all my life--learned on the blades in my 20's, now into my 60's. My latest Hogans were Apex pluses. I hit the Z's just to see what they were like and was converted, mainly due to feel through the hitting area. The Z's felt a little crisper, yet were still buttery-smooth like I've been used to with the Hogans. Hard to describe, but I just liked the feel a little better. I also think the top line is thinner (though not by much) and the offset less, which I like. After playing with them awhile, I see the following differences:

1, Z's go a little higher, but also a little longer when pured.

2. You can work the Z's a little easier (fades, draws, trouble shots)

All-in-all, I think I like the Z's just a little better than the Hogans, but not by a lot. One thing that I fear with Hogan being moved to the Callaway iron works is that they will lose their quality and craftsmanship since many of the artisans have elected to stay in Ft. Worth. Hope it ain't so, but logic says it will be that way.

Art, thanks for validating what I remembered about the Plus'. I think you're right-on.

Jerry and all, I hope you understand that that this in no way deminishes my thoughts/persception of the overall quality/playability of the z101...it's just that the Plus are also very good clubs as well. We definitely give the nod to Tourstage but I would not hesitate to put the Plus back in the bag.

I would say dump the 33 6 iron and go with either a 29 6 iron or a 101 6 iron .

That way Jerry , you will only have two diferent sets in one and you can then pretty well know what you can expect from that iron in comparison to the others in the set .

IMO of course :)

Like I said Jerry it is my opinion . :) And no I didn't know that they looked the same . Have never been a fan of the 33's , tried them and never liked them . Just didn't like the size of them .

Have not tried the 37's yet so can't say anything at all about them .

I still think and believe that the 29's are the best blade's ever made by any company .

But then again that just my 0.02 cents anyways . :lol:

Jerry I hope you aren't telling me that the 101's and the 33's are the same size are you , cause if you are I'll be :(

I guess you have ever thing dial in there. Like Mike said, can you weaken the loft of a z101 6-iron for the little higher ball flight? You should'nt lose too much distance.

Other then that, I say, if it works then it's all good. I'm going to replace my 4 iron and v017 with #3 and #4 driving iron types...and come down to a 15* instead of the 13* I have.

Mike, you might as well find out now, the Z's are the same head shape from the top, and have the same toe shape, and size 8) I know 8O ,

Dwayne, did you see that even Chris is not using the Air Muscles, thats not a good sign, JerryMB

Mike, you might as well find out now, the Z's are the same head shape from the top, and have the same toe shape, and size 8) I know 8O ,

Dwayne, did you see that even Chris is not using the Air Muscles, thats not a good sign, JerryMB

Oh well guess it's time for me to go to a little bigger head . Will probably help me more in the end then hurt the eye's :lol:

Besides am playing the 690.MB's now and they are a bit bigger than I expected also .

Plus I should have mentioned that when I tried the 33's I was still playing the 29's so that could have been the man reason I was not overly impressed with them .

Yeah, I've noticed...I also think he says he doesn't hit the ball high enough anyway. The search is on. Once again I'm flummoxed in the 17*-21* range.

Dadriver, check out the 21* Hogan hybrid, the head size is between the Fli-Hi II and the Mid rescues, it has the same face height and heel to toe length as the mid, but is narrower from face to back of head,

the shaft length as the 21* fli-hi,

Mike tell me what you know about the 33's thanks

Well Jerry there is not that much I can tell you . I just didn't like how high I hit them compared to the 29's at the time . Since then though my ball flight has come up quite a bit to back then . Must be the 690.MB's that have done that , cause when I go back to the 29's it drops again .

Lets see it was 3 years ago that I tried them and it was only on a range and only the 6 iron .

Like I said not much I can tell you .

Sorry .