Vince-tipping off a play to sonics

saw this on tv yesterday- and on tsn.ca

Report: Did Carter tip off the Sonics?

Canadian Press

12/19/2004

TORONTO (CP) - The Toronto Raptors have scoffed at a report former teammate Vince Carter tipped off the opposition to a play late in a game last month.

''I think that's a lie,'' Raptors guard Jalen Rose said following Toronto's 110-99 win over the New Jersey Nets on Sunday. ''To be honest it's just so ironic that a statement like that happens to come out a day after the guy gets traded.

''Being a guy who's been traded before, I understand how people try to pile on (criticize),'' he said. ''The timing of this is the worst it could be.''

Carter was traded to the Nets on Friday night for Alonzo Mourning, Aaron Williams, Eric Williams and two first-round draft picks.

According to the Tacoma News Tribune, Carter tipped off the Sonics to a play during the final minute of the Raptors' 101-94 loss to Seattle on Nov. 19 in Toronto. With 29 seconds left in the game, the Raptors called a timeout. After returning to the court, the News Tribune reported that Carter said to the Sonics, ''It's a flare, it's a flare.''

A flare is a common play where a player runs off a screen to catch a pass.

''Telling the other team a play, that's ridiculous,'' said Raptors forward Chris Bosh. ''I refuse to believe that. How silly is that?

''I don't think any player in the NBA would do that, give the other team any kind of advantage in a game-winning situation. That's not professional at all.''

Carter was not available Sunday to comment on the report. Through a spokesman, he told the News Tribune, ''I'm not going to comment on something as ridiculous as that.''

The trade came two days after the Tacoma News Tribune phoned Raptors GM Rob Babcock for a response to the Sonics' claim about Carter.

The first-year GM said the timing of the trade had nothing to do with the phone call.

''I've heard players say things like that numerous times, some say it as a joke or you could say it was a strategic thing, that he decided to mislead them or something,'' said Babcock. ''But I'm not aware of the situation and whether he was joking.''

Babcock said he never called the Sonics to investigate the allegations. But he did have harsh words for any player that would give away a play to the opposition.

''If a player was to go down and intentionally tell a team a play that we were definitely going to run, you'd better win the game,'' Babcock said.

The News Tribune reported that the Sonics bench responded with disbelief to Carter's alleged tip.

Seattle's Ray Allen, who was guarding Carter on the play in question, told the Tacoma paper: ''I didn't hear it, but that's what those other guys were saying (after the game), Reggie (Evans) and those other guys. But all I said was, `Why would he do that?' I don't know why he would do that.''

Bosh said the report is more a case of people kicking Carter when he's down.

''People are kind of gunning for him, it's unfortunate for him,'' said Bosh. ''I think he just needs to stay positive.''

Raptors coach Sam Mitchell refused to speculate Sunday on the truth of the report, but said he would be offended if it happened.

''I think anyone would find it offensive, but we don't know that actually happened, I have no proof other than what someone may have said,'' said Mitchell.

And now that Carter is a Net, the Raptors coach said there's nothing he can do about it.

''It's just not worth my time to go back and rehash that, it does me no good, I can't get mad at it, I can't go back and replay the play,'' said Mitchell. ''I can't have a takeback. There's nothing we can do about it.''

On the play, Carter worked his way up the key with Allen following. Raptors forward Matt Bonner set a screen on Allen for Carter, who then flared toward the opposite corner. Morris Peterson passed the ball to Carter, who was unable to make a clean shot attempt and passed to Bonner, who hit a 22-foot shot from the top of the key.

what does everybody think of this? personally, i believe is full of balony. no athlete would that, but we'll never know the truth. and isnt it ironic that the seattle players say it the day after Vince is traded. y wouldnt they say anything the day after it happened?

• 2 weeks later...

it could just be vince wanted out of toronto, but i wouldnt be suprised if it was just an act of arrogance. Perhaps he thought he was so good that the defense couldnt stop him even if they knew what the play was. Also toronto scored on the play when vince kicked it to matt bonner who hit a 3 pointer. IMHO much ado about nothing