Reshafting 983 series

sflaspprentice

I recently sold my r7 TP which was about as heroic as dumping Enron stock before its collapse...

...I purchased a 983E and decided to put in an Aldila Aldalite tour shaft in which isnt any special task its .335 so let me ask my main question.

When heating the head I pulled the shaft and everything came out soundly. The problem was that the black "pin" that sits in the soleplate melted and is now a hole in the bottom of the head.

I have previously re-shafted my 975d several times with this not occurring.

What is this plug, pin, whatever it is, and what should I do to fix this? Thanks in advance.

~Steve

• 1 month later...

This is normal. I've reshafted more Titleist drivers than I can count, and it happens from time to time. Toss the heat gun back on the little plastic plug and it should melt out just fine, and expose the clean hole. Take a graphite tip plug and stick it in the hole for fitting purposes. Cut all the extra off the tip you can so it will still fit in the hole, but so you won't have it sticking 1" inside the head. Take some epoxy, or superglue, or some pressure bond like "Royal Onyx" and coat the plug. Slip it back in the hole and give it a couple taps with a screw driver, or utility knife, or something that will wedge it in the hole. Hit it straight on or it could break the plug off. When it's dry, cut the plug off and polish it down with whatever you use to finish your bore-throughs.

Simple stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
We have found it better to drill out the old shaft rather than pull it. For all the right reasons...damage to removed shaft and head.

The weight hole in the 983 is actually threded and you should coat and screw in the graphite shaft pin and then cut it off.

DT

I pull several each week and I have never had a major problem saving the shaft. When you're dealing with $300 shafts, I don't think most people want you to cut it and drill it.