Different Models of Tourstage Irons

Bat

Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying "used" Tourstage/Bridgestone (Cavity Back) irons but having trouble understanding the different models available. TS-201, TS-202, TS-211, MR-23, V300, V301, VIQ, VIQ forged, J33, X-blade CB, V5000, Z101, Synergy, etc... :confused: Basically, I'm hoping someone can tell me how old and what's the target golfer for each of the models released within the last four years. For example:

game improvement - model"A"(2001), model"B"(2004)

forgiving (mid-hdcp) - model"C"(2003), model"D"(2005)

player's cavity back - model"E"(2002), model"F"(2005)

...or some other categories - ......., ........

The year released is really not as important as the order it was released. I'm really sorry if this sounds like a lot to ask, but I haven't been interested in Tourstage irons until recently so I'm totally clueless when it comes to older models. Thanks guys. Really appreciates any suggestions.

Off the top of my head from what I've played.

TS-202: Target would prob. be mid to higher HC. Very easy to hit. Still suitable for low HC as long as the offset doesn't bother you. Pretty amazing how good this iron looks at address while still being so darn easy to hit. Great iron but a bit more offset than I like.

TS-201: A little more compact than the 202 with quite a bit less offset. IMO best suited for a mid to low HC. Think it is or was one of the most popular TS irons on the JPGA.

X-Blade CB: IMO a mix of the 201 and 202. Less offset than the 202 yet easier to hit than the 201. I think any HC within reason would be happy with this one. This iron is in my bag now.

MR-23 US Spec.: Great classic CB blade type iron. Very little offset and on the smaller size. Def. for the lower HC crowd.

Z101: IMO these US released irons didn't have the same feel as the others. Forgivness and size wise prob. closest to the 201s.

All of these Japanese TS sets are top notch forgings and have that great TS feel. Good luck.

if i were you bat id go for the viq forged irons as these will provide the feel and playability of a players cb but yet with the forgiiveness and soft impact of a game improver.....the turbo rubber will make nearlly all shots feel like butter! :love: :cool:

Thank you both for your replies. It looks like I'll be choosing between the TS-202 and the VIQ forged. Which is the more forgiving of the two sets? Also, the VIQ forged is about 15% more expensive where I live. Are the worth the price difference?

Btw, I've heard lots of good things about the sole design of the X-Blade CB and the J33 forged combo, but I'm afraid they're going to be too hard for me. I've been playing for almost 1 year and still don't have a consistent ball impact. But I've been practicing a lot recently and really want to get a set that I can grow into. If I was to choose between the TS-202 or VIQ forged, will I be missing out much on the sole design of either the X-Blade CB or Bridgestone J33 forged combo?

Thanks again guys.

BAT the type of sole design and grind etc each individual player needs is determined by their swing...ie whether they are a swinger, hitter, sweeper or digger! therefore you need to figure out how you swing it, then pick a club that will assist your swing....and not take away from it!

viq irons are very expensive new, however there is a second hand set in very very good con on ebay!!!!! im actually very tempted lol :laugh: :laugh:

Thank you both for your replies. It looks like I'll be choosing between the TS-202 and the VIQ forged. Which is the more forgiving of the two sets? Also, the VIQ forged is about 15% more expensive where I live. Are the worth the price difference?

Btw, I've heard lots of good things about the sole design of the X-Blade CB and the J33 forged combo, but I'm afraid they're going to be too hard for me. I've been playing for almost 1 year and still don't have a consistent ball impact. But I've been practicing a lot recently and really want to get a set that I can grow into. If I was to choose between the TS-202 or VIQ forged, will I be missing out much on the sole design of either the X-Blade CB or Bridgestone J33 forged combo?

Thanks again guys.

I would recommend the 202s to you based on where your game is at and where you want to take it. The amount of help they give you will be a big advantage for you now and outside of a little more offset than the others (X and 33s) look very "player CB" like. There are plenty of people out there that consider the 202s one of the best, if not the best combos. of forgivness and playability. Sole grind on the Xs is great but also very good on the 202s. The fact they will be quite a bit cheaper than the VIQ is just an added bonus.

Bat honestly dude, hate to jump in on your post but seeing you are on the hunt for irons....i would seriously consider pending a few extra $$$ and getting a set of gauge nc1s! these are the :poop:! unreal feel, IMO better than the mr23s...which are suggested to be the best feeling tourstage iron....also the forgiveness rivals any on the market! get your thinking cap on! :smile1:

Bat honestly dude, hate to jump in on your post but seeing you are on the hunt for irons....i would seriously consider pending a few extra $$$ and getting a set of gauge nc1s! these are the :poop:! unreal feel, IMO better than the mr23s...which are suggested to be the best feeling tourstage iron....also the forgiveness rivals any on the market! get your thinking cap on! :smile1:

Dang Plus, you're def. upin' the ante. Gauge NC1s!!! Let the poor guy ease into this HO thing. :smile2:

i've own(ed) a few sets of bridgestone/tourstage irons...

tour satin z101's, ts-202's, ts-201's, mr-23 cb's US specs, J's pro weapons cb's, massy k. blades, j33 combo's & x5000's.

the only 2 sets of bs/ts irons i have left are the ts-202's & x5000's which are still extremely popular in Japan because of their ease.

all have a distinctive feel for a forged club except for the massy blades which are extremely soft and forgiving for a blade.

bs/ts irons are hard/soft if that makes sense...clicky at impact and offer a solid feel while not muted like some other forged irons.

most forgiving out of all that i've owned are ts-202, -201, x5000.

best looking is mr-23 cb US spec & satin Z's.

best sole grind is by far the x5000's and the j33 combos a close 2nd...almost like a triple grind sole.

x5000backs.jpg

I have the MR23 US spec CB & X'CB. To me, the X'CB are more forgiving than the US spec & the ball flight of X'CB is higher. I wonder anyone has tried the V300? I'm told this is a very forgiving set of irons.

Thanks again guys.

I would recommend the 202s to you based on where your game is at and where you want to take it. The amount of help they give you will be a big advantage for you now and outside of a little more offset than the others (X and 33s) look very "player CB" like. There are plenty of people out there that consider the 202s one of the best, if not the best combos. of forgivness and playability. Sole grind on the Xs is great but also very good on the 202s. The fact they will be quite a bit cheaper than the VIQ is just an added bonus.

Thanks for the comment. Right now it looks like the TS-202 is the number one choice for me based your recommendation and also I have a pretty good deal here for a used (condition 8/10) set of 4-PW. They're the only set of TS-202 that I can find around here so I'll have to decide fairly quickly. There's also a set of like new (condition 9.5/10) RAC LT2 3-PW with N.S.Pro950GH at roughly the same price as the used TS-202 which is very tempting. Should I even consider these? Thanks.

Thanks for your suggestion plus1. I went to have a look at the gauge nc1 yesterday. They're GORGEOUS. Looks worthy of putting them in a showcase actually. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a used set. The new set is way way beyond my budget. :sad: I'm still looking for a good deal on your first recommendation though (VIQ forged). Although, it's very likely that I'll be getting TS-202 by the end of the week.

tour satin z101's, ts-202's, ts-201's, mr-23 cb's US specs, J's pro weapons cb's, massy k. blades, j33 combo's & x5000's.

the only 2 sets of bs/ts irons i have left are the ts-202's & x5000's which are still extremely popular in Japan because of their ease.

all have a distinctive feel for a forged club except for the massy blades which are extremely soft and forgiving for a blade.

bs/ts irons are hard/soft if that makes sense...clicky at impact and offer a solid feel while not muted like some other forged irons.

best sole grind is by far the x5000's and the j33 combos a close 2nd...almost like a triple grind sole.

Thanks forgedCBuser. Appreciate the information. Are those x5000 in your post? They look really nice. Are they as forgiving as the TS-202? I haven't seen them around here before. Do you know how long they've been out? Thanks.

I have the MR23 US spec CB & X'CB. To me, the X'CB are more forgiving than the US spec & the ball flight of X'CB is higher. I wonder anyone has tried the V300? I'm told this is a very forgiving set of irons.

The V300 is VERY VERY popular around here (Bangkok). They're always in high demand. It was actually one of my first choices but it's very hard to find. A used set costs almost as much as a brand new VIQ forged here. But I heard only good things about them though.

Thanks for your suggestion plus1. I went to have a look at the gauge nc1 yesterday. They're GORGEOUS. Looks worthy of putting them in a showcase actually. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a used set. The new set is way way beyond my budget. :sad: I'm still looking for a good deal on your first recommendation though (VIQ forged). Although, it's very likely that I'll be getting TS-202 by the end of the week.

Bat as far as the viqs go there is a set on ebay....and there are no bids as of yet.....3 days ago i emailed the seller and he said he would sell for 750 shipped.....that still may be too much for you! if so go for the 202s!!!!

Thanks forgedCBuser. Appreciate the information. Are those x5000 in your post? They look really nice. Are they as forgiving as the TS-202? I haven't seen them around here before. Do you know how long they've been out? Thanks.

yes, they are pretty to look at...

the -202's are as forgiving as callaways but have the advantage of being forged AND higher quality control...no leadtape medallions to acheive swingweights...

bridgestone/tourstage has very tight tolerances in respect to specs.

the x5000's are almost as easy to hit as the -202's and definitely easier than the -201's.

slight offset same as the -23's, same length as the Z's, thinnish topline, mid-bounce.

the sole is very versatile and doesn't dig much because of the grind.

they were released in '96 i think?

On the cavity perimeter of the TS-202 it says L.C.Forged. Can someone tell me what L.C. stands for? Thanks.

Also, how does the RAC LT/LT2 compare to these TS-202 forgiveness and performance wise?

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I finally bought the TS-202 (4-PW) today. I think they look really nice and felt great. Hit only a few balls with them today and really looking forward to hitting them more tomorrow.

Btw, what do you guys use to clean your irons? soap ok? any suggestions on how I can reach the bottom of the channel in the cavity back? Thanks.

damn....tourstage makes some good irons, i have owned the ts202, very very nice, and the ts201s are just as nice....the x5000 was a sweet club, and so was the xblade,mr23 blade, but my all time favorite was the mr23 cb, and i just picked up a set of tourstage viq......there is definitely more offset than i prefer but the feel is super solid.....it feels exactly like the mr23 cbs, but enlarge the sweetspot by 150% !!!!! they are as forgiving as the ts202s and i can move them a bit too !!!!! they are in the bag right now !!!!

damn....tourstage makes some good irons, i have owned the ts202, very very nice, and the ts201s are just as nice....the x5000 was a sweet club, and so was the xblade,mr23 blade, but my all time favorite was the mr23 cb, and i just picked up a set of tourstage viq......there is definitely more offset than i prefer but the feel is super solid.....it feels exactly like the mr23 cbs, but enlarge the sweetspot by 150% !!!!! they are as forgiving as the ts202s and i can move them a bit too !!!!! they are in the bag right now !!!!

robbie just out of interest, did you get the viq irons or the viq forged?