Any advice on curing putting yips?

mike_c70

Hi guys,

For the last 2-3 weeks or so, I can't get rid of my putting yips. I don't know how it all started. One day, I just couldn't get a smooth stroke on my putt. It's very jerky now. The problem is when I'm on the practice green, everything is fine but as soon as I hit the course, I can't put for the life of me.

Any advice? Thanks!

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

I am sure there are alot of great tips out there, but for me it always came down to spending more time on the practice green. The yips came about from a lack of confidence in my short putts. Nothing is better for my confidence than making a bunch of 3 and 4 footers before I tee it up. Funny thing is that it doesn't require that much time to get the confidence back. Usually, it would only take me 1 or 2 practice sessions to cure the yips.

Well, there is one more thing... You could take a tip from some of the pro's and start drinking. J/K

Hope this helps.

Paul

How bad are your "yips"? I've noticed that most of the time, "yips" are caused by trying to keep the putter "too straight" back and through. You might be thinking you're keeping the putter head "straight" going back but its actually closed and "hooded" shut. If you're always missing left, you've got a hooded putterface going back. Some people subconsciously know they are closed at impact, and "push" or "yip" to the right to compensate. On shorter putts, you cant get away with it versus the longer ones, since you have a lack of confidence and try to swing "slower" since you think you got the yips and you're so near to the hole which makes you want to "guide" the putt. If you're near the cup, like 3 feet or so, and suddenly hit to the left and miss the hole completely, you likely have a hooded face.

You can get away with a "straight" stroke with a High MOI putter like a 2 ball callaway or Guage Design, "face balanced" putter which encourages a more straighter back and through stroke, but if you're using something else, you're most likely hooding it and trying to hard to "hit it straight". The straight back and thru stroke works, but ball placement is critical and setup must be correct. Your arms and hands must be hanging freely and under your shoulders, eyes over the ball. Correct putter length is critical.

If you dont know what "face balanced" is, or 1/4 toe flow, balance your putter with your finger under the shaft by making a "pointing" finger with your index. The face should be pointing up (balance point is usually a few inches down the shaft near the head), if its parallel to the ground, its face balanced. If it hangs at about a 45 degree angle, it has a 1/4 toe hang or flow.

I recommend letting the toe "flow" when you putt, it should move in an slight arc, square at address to slightly open going back, square at impact, then slightly closed. Try to pick a hand to be dominant and have a light grip pressure overall, the dominant hand being the slightly firmer one. Grip down on the putter (choke up, hold it shorter) for better control on the shorter putts, especially the fast ones.

Pick a dimple on the ball, hit your putt, wait for the sound of the ball falling into the cup. Yips can also be caused by "peeking" which causes your shoulders to open up to the left. There's the "push" drill, where you setup, and push the ball toward the cup with no backswing. do a few of these and hit your regular putts. There's also the drill where you line up your put, look at the hole, and hit your put while looking at the hole. This works great too!

You should focus on "rolling" the ball, not on the "face" of the putter. A true "yip" is a superfast twitch right before impact, almost like a "blackout" or when you're dozing off and suddenly jerk awake. If you have the true "yip" then I suggest you go left hand low or the "claw" belly putter, or long putter. Just have more confidence, have a consistent routine, and picture rolling the ball in the cup!

If you can get a hold of the Scotty cameron Cube, the thing is amazing. You can find some on Ebay, its a Tour only thing and not available at Scotty's studio or at the store. It really helped my game. Also, Dave Pelz has some great learning aids, the putter clips are great, some people use large rubber bands too. Hit solid putts on the sweetspot with good path, and the ball will go in the hole more consistently.

Good luck with the "yips". I've also struggled through the years, and finally figured out what was screwing up my putting. Bad putting is usually a combination of improper mechanics, confidence, equipment, and practice. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to putt, but there are ways to make things easier. Good luck with your battle with the flatstick!

Feel free to PM me if you need more tips on yips. :cool:

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Update: I switched to a left hand low putting grip and no more yips. I don't know how it all started but I'm glad it's gone. I haven't bothered switching to my old putting grip because I'm putting so well with the new grip. Thanks to all for your advice!

Check this out, this article will give some insight to what causes and how to cure the "Yips"

You will love how spot on your diagnosis and cure is!!

How to beat the putting yips.

Gary gets a grip putting (yeah right).

Edited by DoubleAA

Left hand low cured my yip problem, but it also brought on a lower back pain condition. Consequently I had to go to the long putter.

• 4 weeks later...
How bad are your "yips"? I've noticed that most of the time, "yips" are caused by trying to keep the putter "too straight" back and through. You might be thinking you're keeping the putter head "straight" going back but its actually closed and "hooded" shut. If you're always missing left, you've got a hooded putterface going back. Some people subconsciously know they are closed at impact, and "push" or "yip" to the right to compensate. On shorter putts, you cant get away with it versus the longer ones, since you have a lack of confidence and try to swing "slower" since you think you got the yips and you're so near to the hole which makes you want to "guide" the putt. If you're near the cup, like 3 feet or so, and suddenly hit to the left and miss the hole completely, you likely have a hooded face.

You can get away with a "straight" stroke with a High MOI putter like a 2 ball callaway or Guage Design, "face balanced" putter which encourages a more straighter back and through stroke, but if you're using something else, you're most likely hooding it and trying to hard to "hit it straight". The straight back and thru stroke works, but ball placement is critical and setup must be correct. Your arms and hands must be hanging freely and under your shoulders, eyes over the ball. Correct putter length is critical.

If you dont know what "face balanced" is, or 1/4 toe flow, balance your putter with your finger under the shaft by making a "pointing" finger with your index. The face should be pointing up (balance point is usually a few inches down the shaft near the head), if its parallel to the ground, its face balanced. If it hangs at about a 45 degree angle, it has a 1/4 toe hang or flow.

I recommend letting the toe "flow" when you putt, it should move in an slight arc, square at address to slightly open going back, square at impact, then slightly closed. Try to pick a hand to be dominant and have a light grip pressure overall, the dominant hand being the slightly firmer one. Grip down on the putter (choke up, hold it shorter) for better control on the shorter putts, especially the fast ones.

Pick a dimple on the ball, hit your putt, wait for the sound of the ball falling into the cup. Yips can also be caused by "peeking" which causes your shoulders to open up to the left. There's the "push" drill, where you setup, and push the ball toward the cup with no backswing. do a few of these and hit your regular putts. There's also the drill where you line up your put, look at the hole, and hit your put while looking at the hole. This works great too!

You should focus on "rolling" the ball, not on the "face" of the putter. A true "yip" is a superfast twitch right before impact, almost like a "blackout" or when you're dozing off and suddenly jerk awake. If you have the true "yip" then I suggest you go left hand low or the "claw" belly putter, or long putter. Just have more confidence, have a consistent routine, and picture rolling the ball in the cup!

If you can get a hold of the Scotty cameron Cube, the thing is amazing. You can find some on Ebay, its a Tour only thing and not available at Scotty's studio or at the store. It really helped my game. Also, Dave Pelz has some great learning aids, the putter clips are great, some people use large rubber bands too. Hit solid putts on the sweetspot with good path, and the ball will go in the hole more consistently.

Good luck with the "yips". I've also struggled through the years, and finally figured out what was screwing up my putting. Bad putting is usually a combination of improper mechanics, confidence, equipment, and practice. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to putt, but there are ways to make things easier. Good luck with your battle with the flatstick!

Feel free to PM me if you need more tips on yips. :cool:

Hope this helps!

Wow... that was very thoughful and helps... I am a fellow yipper...

• 4 months later...

1. Bob Rotella......

2. Putting out of your mind( book ).

3. Read it!!!

4. Putt Better!!!

Try it! :tsg_smilie_cool: :tsg_smilie_wink:

I had problems with the conventional grip. I had absolutely no feel with it because I was so focused on getting it back and through with out messing it up, that the distance of the putt was almost forgotten. In the end, switching to cross-handed was the best thing I ever did for my game. I went from a decent putter, but very streaky, to being a solid putter all the time. My putting never lets me down now, and people sometimes wonder about what I'm doing, think it's weird, although when I'm one-putting everything they start to catch on to why I do it the way I do.

Edited by Sam - I - Am