Axiv - need recommendation on shaft & advice on Epon 460

leepark

Can I get a recommendation on shafts (Axiv, Diamana, Fuji, Ozik, etc.) based on the following?

* Swing Speed (mph or m/s) = 110-115 (can get a bit faster but am trying to slow my speed down to increase consistency)

* Tempo (Slow, Reg, Fast) = on the fast side of a regular tempo

* Usual ball flight (Low, Medium, High) = quite high

* Desired Flight (Low, Medium, High) = medium

* Desired Weight (60g, 70g, 80g range) = 70s

* Bad shot (Right or Left) = hooks

* What are you looking for in a shaft?

I currently play a tour R7 9.5* with a Fuji 771TA at 44.5" (went shorter to improve accuracy, wasn't too concerned with loss of yards as I was fairly long to begin with). CPM is 269 and find it very comfortable, not boardy and not soft. Natural tendency is a draw but bad shots used to be hooks with 757 Stiff but has significantly improved with 771TA. I am happy with a slight fade. My criteria for a new club/shaft combo is still accuracy over distance, but would like more distance than what I'm getting now with R7/771TA combo. BTW, I really enjoy playing with the 771TA, best shaft I've played thus far.

RE. Epon 460 - What face angles are available? Does 9.5* go higher/lower than others (eg, R7)? Which shaft works best with Epon 460 - Axiv, Ozik, or Diamana White? How does the Epon 460 compare to TM R7 460, Cally, and other top drivers?

You may want to post this in each of the individual fitting sections for Axiv, Diamana, etc but here's my recommendation.

Go with an Axiv V-spec either the 7076 or 7080. This will keep you in the 70gm range. Also the V-spec will help with you hooks when you put a bad swing on it. If you don't mind a fade go with the stiffer 7080. Don't waste time with any other shaft.

As far as the Epon, you can order any face angle you want. I have 1 degree open and you can get up to 2 degrees. Anything more is a special order, but pm Chris (TourSpecGolfer) for details.

As for comparing with the R7, that I'm not sure. See my write-up on the Epon vs. Callaway ERC. Its my opinion nothing can touch the Epon especially with an Axiv-V.

Good luck with what you decide to do. There's much already written about the Epon and the above shafts on this site so you should be able to retrieve lots of good info.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm having a TOUGH time trying to 1. decide whether to go with the Epon460 or R7 460 Tour, and 2. whether I should change drivers at all (from my R7). More feedback and advice from other members would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm having a TOUGH time trying to 1. decide whether to go with the Epon460 or R7 460 Tour, and 2. whether I should change drivers at all (from my R7). More feedback and advice from other members would be much appreciated.

That may be risky. Too many "club ho's" on this site. They'll just tell you to get all 3!! LOL.

Come on boys and girls, help him out!

Seriously, it is a tough choice, but I will say the Epon is definitely worth a look even for someone who really likes what they are currently using. It is just that good.

Ok Don't get all three but get at least two. Looking at your current bag, the majority of the clubs are domestic or Japanese North America except the 14. I say take a risk and go with all JDM particularly JDM shafts if you know your swing. You seem to know exactly what cpm you want. People in this forum, i have found out, like to experiment which I think that is the fun of it. You ask about the Yururi wedge under another thread but I brought it because I just like the looks of it and no idea how and why it would be the one. People in this forum are a bit nutty but very knowledgable, especially about imports.

Take a Risk I say and go with the Epon. You can always sell it in this forum if you dont like it but do not ever put any NV or other North America shafts in it.

Edited by Duffer19

Where's the recommendation from TSGirl?

Does anyone have a comparison between the R7 460 Tour and Epon 460? I'm torn...

Where's the recommendation from TSGirl?

Does anyone have a comparison between the R7 460 Tour and Epon 460? I'm torn...

Is your R7 460 Tour the same as the Japanese version of R7 460 TP? I have been using Fujis for years now and switching to AXIV, GD W and PT series and also NGS shafts from Japan. Epon is a good head (demo it in Sapporo in Oct.) and you can experiment with different shafts or you can find out who uses what in the forum and go from there. there is no perfection hence we all come back next month or next year for the newest and the latest.

Is your R7 460 Tour the same as the Japanese version of R7 460 TP? I have been using Fujis for years now and switching to AXIV, GD W and PT series and also NGS shafts from Japan. Epon is a good head (demo it in Sapporo in Oct.) and you can experiment with different shafts or you can find out who uses what in the forum and go from there. there is no perfection hence we all come back next month or next year for the newest and the latest.

My current driver is the original R7 but the next driver I am considering is the tour-issued R7 460. I would much appreciate it if somebody could give me a comparison of the R7 460 to the Epon 460. How does the Epon compare to tour-issued TM equipment?

Is the 'Tour Issued' the same as 'Tour Preferred' (TP)? There are some difference in spec for North America 460 TP vs. Japanese 460 TP in terms of swing weight and length. Which one are you looking at, domestic or Japanese? TM is basically mass market even in Japan while the Epon is fully customizable. There are many review of the Epon here but not too many review of TM 460 TP (JDM).

Is the 'Tour Issued' the same as 'Tour Preferred' (TP)? There are some difference in spec for North America 460 TP vs. Japanese 460 TP in terms of swing weight and length. Which one are you looking at, domestic or Japanese? TM is basically mass market even in Japan while the Epon is fully customizable. There are many review of the Epon here but not too many review of TM 460 TP (JDM).

I'm referring to a tour issued (as in from the PGA Tour Van), which is very different from the TP version.