3 wood for exclusive of the tee use.

Spoon

guys my experiments are coming to a close and this will be the last couple of head/shaft combos i plan on undertaking this year. my experiments with my 4/5 wood have paid off and i now i am going to do the same experiments for my 3 wood. note that this will be for exclusive of the tee use in one of our tight, wind ravaging mountain courses. for this i have selected to opt for the 3 wood in a course as unforgiving and tricky as this.

anyway i have two heads ready for prepping, one is a gfield 14* and the other is an epon 15* will be testing one of them with a roddio w6basr that was pulled from an old epon driver, a speeder 569 and possibly a pt7/6. question is from those who have tried both i am wondering what the easier one of the tee would be? im thinking the epon since i have had great succes with it in the past. never tried a 14* so im curious about this one as well. had a brief 1 day stint with an epon 13.5* with QT75s but i did not find this particular combo to my liking.

looking forward to the coming experiment and will post some comments soon. now if i can only figure out which shaft goes to what head! it never seems to end...........

guys my experiments are coming to a close and this will be the last couple of head/shaft combos i plan on undertaking this year. my experiments with my 4/5 wood have paid off and i now i am going to do the same experiments for my 3 wood. note that this will be for exclusive of the tee use in one of our tight, wind ravaging mountain courses. for this i have selected to opt for the 3 wood in a course as unforgiving and tricky as this.

anyway i have two heads ready for prepping, one is a gfield 14* and the other is an epon 15* will be testing one of them with a roddio w6basr that was pulled from an old epon driver, a speeder 569 and possibly a pt7/6. question is from those who have tried both i am wondering what the easier one of the tee would be? im thinking the epon since i have had great succes with it in the past. never tried a 14* so im curious about this one as well. had a brief 1 day stint with an epon 13.5* with QT75s but i did not find this particular combo to my liking.

looking forward to the coming experiment and will post some comments soon. now if i can only figure out which shaft goes to what head! it never seems to end...........

The only comment I can make is you have made some good choices...interested to see the result of the test.

The only comment I can make is you have made some good choices...interested to see the result of the test.

thanks jack. if theres anything i have learned with my previous experiments its that the gfield 16* and the gd pt series shafts are the best combo for off the tee/off the deck use. really love the lower profile of the gfield and is a tad more forgiving than my epon. then again i was comparing a 16* and a 15* with different shaft combos.

also this will be my last experiment with roddio, didnt work on my driver, not expecting much on the woods but who knows i may have a bit of a surprise.

Having used both I found the Epon much better off the tee due to the higher profile. I'm sure results would vary due to player individuality. When you do try the G-Field tee it up so that it just barely sits above the grass; the Epon can be just a little higher depending upon what you prefer but I found the G-Field to work better as it was sitting just like you would find it in a perfect fairway lie.

Having used both I found the Epon much better off the tee due to the higher profile. I'm sure results would vary due to player individuality. When you do try the G-Field tee it up so that it just barely sits above the grass; the Epon can be just a little higher depending upon what you prefer but I found the G-Field to work better as it was sitting just like you would find it in a perfect fairway lie.

B,

totally agree with you on teeing up the gfield. i tee it to the point that the tee head is barely off the surface sometimes a little higher depending on my mood but the ball will just barely be over the top of the face. with the epons i notiiced that i was teeing it up much higher sometimes half the ball would be over the top of the face.

also noticed that the lower profile of the gfield and hot face make it a treat to use most especially of the tee. i also hope i get the shaft selection right this time around.

by the way its your reviews of the epon fw that made me want to revisit this experiment again. i must have deja vu or something because i swear i could have done this before!!!............ oops i actually did LOL :tsg_smiley_japan:

Firstly C, I think you are splitting hair between 14 and 15 degree 3 wood. As you say, the Gfield is smaller head than the Epon and just go with the one you have the most success off the tee. As to the shaft, go with the one you have most success with on a driver. Forget about the Roddio as it did not work for you as a driver, the chance of it working for you as a FW is very small. It did not work for me as a driver so I just move on instead of wasting time and money on experiment. The simplest solution is always the best solution. I am shafting my FW with Machine 65 and found it to be great value. If PT6 works for you, go with PT6 and forget about everything else. There is no such thing as a perfect club. If PT6 gives you consistency, go with it.

Edited by Duffer19

Firstly C, I think you are splitting hair between 14 and 15 degree 3 wood. As you say, the Gfield is smaller head than the Epon and just go with the one you have the most success off the tee. As to the shaft, go with the one you have most success with on a driver. Forget about the Roddio as it did not work for you as a driver, the chance of it working for you as a FW is very small. It did not work for me as a driver so I just move on instead of wasting time and money on experiment. The simplest solution is always the best solution. I am shafting my FW with Machine 65 and found it to be great value. If PT6 works for you, go with PT6 and forget about everything else. There is no such thing as a perfect club. If PT6 gives you consistency, go with it.

R, i would have to agree with you but we are hard headed and want to find out the difficult way:) i am as we speak looking at a pile of shafts in my possession ranging from speeders, tour ads, mamiya proforce, roddio etc etc and i want to arive at my chosen club by process of elimination for peace of mind. am i making sense?

anyway back to the roddio i am thinking the reason why my driver/shaft combo did not work was more to do with the deep faced driver rather than the shaft. i will not be in peace til i embark on this last experiment. hopefully by the end of the week this may all be resolved.

R, i would have to agree with you but we are hard headed and want to find out the difficult way:) i am as we speak looking at a pile of shafts in my possession ranging from speeders, tour ads, mamiya proforce, roddio etc etc and i want to arive at my chosen club by process of elimination for peace of mind. am i making sense?

anyway back to the roddio i am thinking the reason why my driver/shaft combo did not work was more to do with the deep faced driver rather than the shaft. i will not be in peace til i embark on this last experiment. hopefully by the end of the week this may all be resolved.

If this is the case, you should then also try the new Ali'islei. My HK fitter today told me that he had installed a few already and people are raving about it. It is closer to the White than the other two models.

As to the Roddio, it is defintely the shaft and not the deep face head.