Re-shaft for a Fourteen JC-606

seankellywa

Hi everyone,

I am looking to re-shaft a 10˚ Fourteen JC-606 Driver (first JDM driver), and looking for a little advice from those who have had more experience with the shafts that are being offered here. I also have a question in relation to the effect of CPM and certain swing characteristics.

Currently using a 10˚ FT-3 with an Aldila NV 65 S cut down to 44˝. This sends the ball on a mid trajectory which I prefer. I recently spent some time with a club maker and his comment regarding my swing were:

Swing speed average was about 110mph. In regards to tempo he said it is middle of the road.  I play with a sweep, early/mid release type swing. He also mentioned I had a mid backswing wrist cock which he said is technically makes a random load pattern (???). The thing that interested me was, he mentioned that because I  have an early/mid release (lag is ‘thrown early’), that the cpm and to a certain extent the tip stiffness of shafts will not have that much of a benefit/effect. Has anyone else come across this?

His recommendation for a shaft was stiff to x stiff with a torque rating no lower than 3.0 at this point in time.

I’d be interested in any comments from anyone who has a JC-606 and what worked for them. In fact, any and all feedback welcome.

CPM's aside, a more important thing to look at with the plethora of shafts available these days is the bend profile of the shaft. 3 shafts can have identical CPM's but bend and flex at totally different points and have stiffness distributed totally different which will affect how they play when matched with certain swings. In other words, same CPM shafts but play totally different. If you have an early to mid release then there really is no wrist lag in effect. I'm assuming he says "middle of the road" tempo that means "average" tempo, and a sweeping motion with your early release probably translates into more of a body type swing since you don't lag the hands behind and then explode them through impact as typical hard hitter/agressive swinger do. You just swing quick and release early. (this is all guessing of course!)

Do you have a bad shot? Slice? Hook?

Gocchin my bad shot is a push/right push slice when I try to really go at it, otherwise pritty straight. Is there a particular bend profile that you would suggest I look at first. Also how do you go about finding the bend profile of shafts, I'm not sure I have ever seen that info on a web site before.

Gocchin my bad shot is a push/right push slice when I try to really go at it, otherwise pritty straight. Is there a particular bend profile that you would suggest I look at first. Also how do you go about finding the bend profile of shafts, I'm not sure I have ever seen that info on a web site before.

Most manufacturers don't list that kind of info, they should!

But the way a shaft bends and loads and unloads will affect if you go right or left or high or low... flex is only one small factor that is associated with your swing speed to some extent.

I think you'd be looking for a softer tip and mid section to eliminate your push/slice. Here are some examples of bend profiles... all six shafts are Stiff flex but as you can see how they bend will have impact on things like trajectory, spin, stability and accuracy etc:

shaftshootout3.jpg

Just to add my 2 cents- the Diamana White Board d63/73/83 is a Tip stiff, high kick but low spin shaft. Your right or left mistakes would tend to be less severe with a lower spin head and shaft. BTW, I do have a JC606 but it is shafted now with a Machline Proto 5350.

Edited by Duffer19

Just so I have an understanding of what you both recommend I should consider, using the above diagram as a reference. Gocchin, you would be leaning towards something like the Rombax, and Duffer the Axiv V.

Also Duffer, do you have any personal thoughts on the JC-606. Like/dislikes, I presume it's not your gamer.

Just so I have an understanding of what you both recommend I should consider, using the above diagram as a reference. Gocchin, you would be leaning towards something like the Rombax, and Duffer the Axiv V.

Also Duffer, do you have any personal thoughts on the JC-606. Like/dislikes, I presume it's not your gamer.

I am actually leaning towards the White Board and not the Axiv V. I never play the V but found the normal Axiv to be ok but not exceptional. The JC 606 is a fine head and just the right size at 420 or 430 cc. while the spec says 1* close, it does not look that close at address. I have too many drivers so the JC606 is just my backup now. With so many good driver heads, the club is really a function of the shaft and I find my hook and or push/slices are not as severe with the white board. If you are a decent ball striker with good enough swing speed, the white is a great driver shaft with good feel of the club head since it is butt soft. If you really launch the ball low regardless, then perhaps its not the right shaft. If you are to go with a Rombax, the X series would be the only one I would consider. Dont know much about the new Z.

For whats worth, I am one of those guys that just cannot play the Roddio.

Edited by Duffer19