epon type s vs 501's

bayline8

Hey Guys I havnt posted much but Im always on this site soaking up the wisdom of the fold...My question is there much differene between the epon type s and the new 501's?....also how offset are the long irons? I prefer none.. I have a set of type j's with 1150's( bought on here from madball) they're fantastic clubs but Im feeling the itch to switch...also if anyone has played type s/501 and type j what are the differences in topline ..sole width/grind(j's have a unique sole grind more for the digger trapper than the sweeper) and blade length...sorry for all the ?'s but unfortunatly you cant walk in to your local golfsmith and check it out............if anyone has any questions about the j's playability ask away ...thanks for the best golf site on the net

Hey Guys I havnt posted much but Im always on this site soaking up the wisdom of the fold...My question is there much differene between the epon type s and the new 501's?....also how offset are the long irons? I prefer none.. I have a set of type j's with 1150's( bought on here from madball) they're fantastic clubs but Im feeling the itch to switch...also if anyone has played type s/501 and type j what are the differences in topline ..sole width/grind(j's have a unique sole grind more for the digger trapper than the sweeper) and blade length...sorry for all the ?'s but unfortunatly you cant walk in to your local golfsmith and check it out............if anyone has any questions about the j's playability ask away ...thanks for the best golf site on the net

The S and the 501's are the same iron. They were rebranded as the 501 for the launch outside of Japan.

The 501 will have slightly more offset than your J's and be slightly larger all around in dimensions. They have an undercut as well in the longer irons which disappear for the shorter irons. About a degree stronger loft wise than the J's and made to be a nice mix of forgiveness, distance and playability.

The S and the 501's are the same iron. They were rebranded as the 501 for the launch outside of Japan.

The 501 will have slightly more offset than your J's and be slightly larger all around in dimensions. They have an undercut as well in the longer irons which disappear for the shorter irons. About a degree stronger loft wise than the J's and made to be a nice mix of forgiveness, distance and playability.

The AF-501s have a more aggressive progressive offset slope than the Type J. Meaning the offset decreases at a greater rate from the long to the short iron. So while it's true they have more offset than the Type J in the long irons, they actually have less offset in the shorter irons. IMO, it's perfect for a combo set. I've been using the Type S with 1150 for almost a year now and have yet to find a better match. From address position they appear slightly larger than the Type J but noticeably smaller than the 701s. It's larger than MP60 but smaller than ViQ Forged. I'd say it's pretty close in size to the Fourteen TC-550. Topline is about the same as the Type J with very slightly wider sole but less bounce in the short irons. If you're looking for quality forged JDM irons with forgiving long irons and solid workable short irons, there isn't an iron in the market that can top this. Well, at least I haven't seen one yet.

Bat

Thanks guys..perfect answers..I just wish there was a way to see how "how much" ofset is in the long irons before I sell mine and pick these up. I think theres something to be said about players irons with game improvment qualities as opposed to their design being completly one or the other

Thanks guys..perfect answers..I just wish there was a way to see how "how much" ofset is in the long irons before I sell mine and pick these up. I think theres something to be said about players irons with game improvment qualities as opposed to their design being completly one or the other

Here's a list I just made of offsets in the #4 of some cavity back irons in inches. My Type S is somewhere in between the Mizuno MP60 and MP57. Don't forget to keep in mind that offsets progress at a different rate for each model. So a list of offsets for short irons may look very different from this list. Also, the design of the hosel will play a major role in how the offset LOOKS as opposed to these actual measurements.

Miura CB-202....................................0.078740

Tourstage X-Blade CB (2008)...............0.118110*

Epon AF-301.....................................0.125984

Titleist Z-Blend Forged........................0.130000

Mizuno MP-60....................................0.134000

Tourstage Z-101................................0.137795

Tourstage X-Blade GR (2007)...............0.137795*

Taylormade Forged 300.......................0.143701

Titleist AP2.......................................0.145000

Epon Type S (AF-501)........................0.149606

Ping S58...........................................0.150000

Mizuno MP-57....................................0.154000

Taylormade RAC LT (2002)...................0.169291

Ping i10............................................0.170000

Taylormade R7TP................................0.173228

Tourstage TS-202..............................0.177165*

Tourstage ViQ Forged (2007)................0.185039*

Taylormade RAC LT2 (2005)..................0.185039

Epon AF-701......................................0.204724

Mizuno MX-25....................................0.220000

Titleist AP1........................................0.220000

Taylormade R7...................................0.244094

Ping G10...........................................0.300000

* Some Tourstage irons were calculated using an approximate outer hosel diameter of 13.5mm so they may not be 100% accurate but should give you a good idea of how they compare to others.

Bat

Edited by Bat