Mitsubishi's change of direction

gocchin

Via Golftoimpress.com

Check out the tour prototypes Tourspecgolfer got from the JPGA here:

griffinbanner.jpg

Tourspecgolfer broke the word on the new Bassara Griffin series earlier but with its official launch in 3 days, I thought I'd share some more information now that the shaft has been added to TSG's offerings. But let's take a step back to last year first where it all started.

A New Focus on Elasticity for Mitsubishi results in the Kai'li

Mitsubishi, has in the last year, changed some of its manufacturing processes to focus on new technologies and materials and making better shafts than ever by controlling elasticity and energy. This started with the Ali'islei Special Edition shaft which is no longer available. Some of us feel that the Ali'islei was more of a trial venture into this new direction as it was a mixed bag of performance and in a way it is good that it was limited. Diamana learned from the Ali'islei and followed up with the Kai'li which to this point may be Diamana's greatest shaft ever. A lower torque control shaft that is called the new and improved Blue Board, the Kai'li maintains amazing accuracy but still provides wonderful feel, with low launch and low spin. Because of this, Diamana's popularity in Japan has grown considerably this year. I've noticed more and more pros on the Japanese tour moving to the Kai'li. Sales of Kai'li are at the top or near the top every month since its release.

The Longest Bassara Ever

As for the new Griffin, the Bassara line has always filled the gap for Mitsubishi when it comes to lightweight and ultra light shafts.

The new Griffin Series not only looks good with its all new stunning graphics (a Royal Emblem featuring a Lion with Eagles Wings on a Yellow/Gold shaft) but for the first time, Mitsubishi has released a mainstream shaft with more flexes to meet the needs of a wider range of players who want a lighter performance shaft.

The Griffin is a sub 60g shaft that is designed to create a overwhelming sense of acceleration on the downswing, creating increased swing speeds and ball speeds with the end result being more distance. The Griffin features a new Super Elastic Fiber tip which accelerates the head to meet the ball at proper loft and impact. The Griffin creates a low spin trajectory for big carry and roll out. Mitsubishi considers this their longest lightweight carbon shaft ever.

The Super Elastic Fiber features a special titanium alloy which has a property that allows the shaft to return to its original shape immediately after being loaded (flexed) with energy. What this translates into is a high rebound release with no loss of that stored energy on the downswing.

The Griffin with its strong kick and performance still emphasizes control. With mid range torque numbers that translate into feel NOT loss of accuracy, the Griffin has a stiffer butt than the Falcon and Hawk which equal more control. Overall profile is shown in the chart below with a tip flex between Falcon and Hawk, a softer mid section which produces that distance and kick and feel, and the stiffer but for control.

The Griffin is available in two ranges, the G53 and G43 and for the first time as far as I can remember they actually have a Stiff/Regular flex to fill in the void many golfers fall into between Regular and Stiff flex. The G53 also features a Tour Spec flex instead of an X-Flex made for those more agressive or faster swingers which Stiff just won't be enough.

I have a Griffin going into my driver and Egg Spoon. I cannot wait to try them out and report back.

bassara_griffin_specs.jpg

Check out the tour prototypes Tourspecgolfer got from the JPGA here: