Mits Bassara Griffin Review

bogeydog

I bought a JPGA Griffin stiff from TSG and had it installed by Goodsie in my 2009 Yamaha 4.6V RPM 10* driver.

As you may know, I have been playing this same driver head with the Ozik Xcon5 for quite a while. The Ozik has produced some of the longest drives every however I have fought getting control of this shaft. Granted the Xcon5 seems to like smooth swings with somewhat gentle transition. Quick transitions need not apply. The Xcon launch mid-high and was mid spin. I have tested a few clubs against this setup and haven't found anything longer. Although there are more forgiving heads, feel is second to none and the shape is right on for the traditionalist that likes deep face drivers. My reason for buying the Griffin was to find a shaft with Xcon type feel, launch, but with lower spin and more control.

The Griffin in raw form had a CPM of 262. The Xcon5 was 251. Goodsie installed the Griffin at 45" and D2.75 swing weight. I think he said the final CPM was 255. He pointed out that the shaft isn't tapered as a traditional shaft, but has a constant butt diameter than drops off after the bottom of the grip.

I have three rounds under my belt. Not any real range time, so my observations are based on unpacking it and playing.

Looks - I like the two tone black and gold. This JPGA doesn't have the trible graphics.

Feel - Feel is very smooth. Not quite as smooth as the Xcon. The Xcon feel is special however not all may like the soft feel of the Xcon. With a quality swing, I can feel the kick of the Griffin. Feedback is better with the Griffin than Xcon.

Launch - Very similar to Xcon.

Spin - Lower than Xcon. Better roll out.

Control - This is where the Griffin shines. Much better control than the Xcon. For me, the Xcon produced draws with the left coming into play too often. In this setup, the Griffin produces straight or fades. I am still working to learn how the shaft plays.

Loading - The Xcon is easier to load. The Griffin takes more abuse. I could baby it and it worked or I could step on it and it hung right in there. I would say the Griffin plays more true to flex (if there is a true flex) than the Xcon.

Thoughts - I think this suits the slightly aggressive player that wants a mid-lower high launch lightweight shaft with control. A player that wants to avoid the left and doesn't miss much to the right. I feel a player that fights the right may benefit from step down a flex. If you like a lightweight shafts with feel and control, go for it and you likely will be pleased.

Is the JPGA model the same as the $500 prototype on the proshop? What is the major difference between this tour model and regular Griffin? I have been considering installing the Griffin on one of my Legacys but not sure whether it should be a R or SR. I am looking for an installed CPM of 235 to 240 at 45". The stock Legacy S flex is measured at 234 cpm at 45".

Yes this is the same as offered by TSG. Was bought by TSG. I can't recommend what flex to play, you probably want to ask Chris or Gocchin about this. My bet is the Griffin plays more like you would expect the flex yet loads and feels slightly softer.

I have a significant number of rounds with this shaft and have the following feedback.

It definitely is an Xcon5 type profile with a tighter dispersion, lower spin and more anti-left. As long or longer, superb kicking feel with a more solid feel than the Xcon5. Much more accurate and can take more abuse. Great for a harder swinger that wants a light weight shaft with control. I am surprise how straight this shaft is. The stiffer tip with a higher torque is a unique combo that works. On the course, it took some getting used to as I typically hits draws with the Xcon5. The Griffin allows me to set up for a straight shot or fade. It isn't as easy to turn over as the Xcon however it can be worked. Nice solid offering that is the only shaft I have found that can rival the Xcon5 in distance, feel, launch. Take the Xcon, add control and lower spin. Fantastic stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a significant number of rounds with this shaft and have the following feedback.

It definitely is an Xcon5 type profile with a tighter dispersion, lower spin and more anti-left. As long or longer, superb kicking feel with a more solid feel than the Xcon5. Much more accurate and can take more abuse. Great for a harder swinger that wants a light weight shaft with control. I am surprise how straight this shaft is. The stiffer tip with a higher torque is a unique combo that works. On the course, it took some getting used to as I typically hits draws with the Xcon5. The Griffin allows me to set up for a straight shot or fade. It isn't as easy to turn over as the Xcon however it can be worked. Nice solid offering that is the only shaft I have found that can rival the Xcon5 in distance, feel, launch. Take the Xcon, add control and lower spin. Fantastic stuff.

I have played enough rounds to be considered beyond the honeymoon period. The more I play this shaft, the better it performs. I am beginning to think for sure this shaft is as good feeling, longer and more controllable than the Xcon5. Is anyone else playing this shaft? Seems to me this would be the perfect shaft for so many.

I have to admit your review and follow up has me wanting to try this shaft.

The shaft that is working for me really well right now is the Fubuki. I also get along very well with most of the GD shafts.

I'm just a little concerned with the higher torque #'s. I see the finished CPM but what flex is it? What is you SS?

Thanks BD

Jeff

I have to admit your review and follow up has me wanting to try this shaft.

The shaft that is working for me really well right now is the Fubuki. I also get along very well with most of the GD shafts.

I'm just a little concerned with the higher torque #'s. I see the finished CPM but what flex is it? What is you SS?

Thanks BD

Jeff

Shaft is a stiff not the TS spec. My SS is 97- low 100s. Goodsie would have more info on what he saw since he installed the shaft.

• 2 months later...

Had this shaft installed in my Kamui. I must admit that I'm very happy with it.

I can swing easy or step on it and get great results either way. For the most part the ball wants to go straight but can still be worked to go left or right. The ball flight is perfect and although I haven't had it on a launch monitor you can tell it is a lower spin shaft.

Very happy with this shaft. If I had to discribe it in one word it would be "smooth".

I think I'm really liking this lighter weight shaft thing....