Iron Shaft Question: TT GS 75 to Tour AD AD75 or Matrix Program 130

Dionpratama

Hi, I’m currently using a TT GS75 steel shaft in my Romaro Ray H, but my pro said that its too light for me, and I need a stiffer shaft. He said that because the ball flight is too high, maybe because the staff is too soft.

So now, I got an offer for a Graphite Design Tour AD AD-75 Regular flex & also a Matrix Program 130 in 6.0 (Stiff-Regular Flex?)

How’s the Tour AD plays? Will it be stiffer than my GS75? The weight is similar, which I consider as a plus since I just into golf for 7 months.

The Matrix Program on the other hand, I’m afraid that it would be too much shaft for my current skill. But I can only find a good review for them. If I can afford it, will it hinder my progress in learning if use heavier & stiffer staff like that? For Asian, my physical is slightly above average, I’m 5ft 10”, 90kg. My current driver swing speed is 90-95mph.

Thanks in advance

dont use the matrix it will be loads stiff.

the tour ad75 is oodly soft. even my dad whos 66

finds it paper light.

i think you should try a tour ad UT 85 or 95 shaft. that will fit the bill nicely

or the multitude of shafts like matrix etc etc

but if you want to stick to steel, nspro makes a mean hybrid shaft nspro 950 UT

or you can try the nspro 850 which i had in a hybrid. very nice and stable.

If your fitter says too light, then going to a graphite shaft of the same weight isn't going to get you anywhere. As Spoon said moving up a weight class, on the steel front an NS 950 would be the way to go.

Thanks Spoon & Duffer for the response.

NSPro 950 is an off shelves staff of many iron sets in Jakarta, so finding it shouldn't be hard.

I just curious reading many good reviews of a premium graphite iron shaft and tempted to try one.

What about the Matrix Program 95? Has anyone tried it?

Thanks Spoon & Duffer for the response.

NSPro 950 is an off shelves staff of many iron sets in Jakarta, so finding it shouldn't be hard.

I just curious reading many good reviews of a premium graphite iron shaft and tempted to try one.

What about the Matrix Program 95? Has anyone tried it?

it is alright. it will be stiffer compared to the nspro 950 UT

Thanks Spoon....I think "alright" will not justify its steep price tag then....

Funny that even the owner of the club fitting house said that its not worth the price.....maybe because he saw that my swing is still very lousy....haha

Try Aerotech.... I80. It's stable and I think you might like it. Price reasonable too but not sure if you can get it there in Jakarta

programs 130 are pretty smooth and very stable shafts but i think they require a late release to make them work or at least i noticed that people who find them too stiff tend to release early and then kinda fight the shaft from there if that makes sense. maybe if you ask your pro he can advise you based on that. my advise would be to grab a cheap set of steel thats heavier and stiffer than you currently have and do an experiment with that. from there based on results you can figure out what graphite replacement you wanna invest in if you wanna go with graphite without wasting money on multiple graphite sets trying to find the one that works for you.

programs 130 are pretty smooth and very stable shafts but i think they require a late release to make them work or at least i noticed that people who find them too stiff tend to release early and then kinda fight the shaft from there if that makes sense. maybe if you ask your pro he can advise you based on that. my advise would be to grab a cheap set of steel thats heavier and stiffer than you currently have and do an experiment with that. from there based on results you can figure out what graphite replacement you wanna invest in if you wanna go with graphite without wasting money on multiple graphite sets trying to find the one that works for you.

Thats what I have been doing wrong...

Good advice there ant. If you are trying to figure out a combo of weight increase and flex change NSPro are a great cheap, good feeling way to do that. There is a variety of weight classes higher than the 75g stuff. Think jumping to the 950 is a good starting point as you can always drop down from there if needed.

awesome ant! thats what i was doing wrong with the target tours this afternoon. i was nearly about to give up

til i remembered chiromikeys discovery of late release to make his peening blues to work.

awesome ant! thats what i was doing wrong with the target tours this afternoon. i was nearly about to give up

til i remembered chiromikeys discovery of late release to make his peening blues to work.

amazing how something like that can make such an eye opening difference in the way a shaft responds. keep me updated on those target tours...

Hi Ant, thanks for the advice....appreciate it by much.

Anyway just for an update, anyway I did a comparison using trackman for a few shats listed below:

- Regular GS 75

- PXi 5.5

- Project X 6.0

- Matrix Program 95 5.5

Based on Trackman, as expected the GS75 has a higher launch, around 21 deg, carry around 110-115m. Spin rate around 5000ish.

The heaviest shaft here, the Project X 6.0 resulted lower higher launch, around 20 deg, spin rate around 4500. No significant difference in carry (maybe due to the bad swing quality). I think for me, its too heavy, and Im afraid the back 9 will be too tiring if I'm using this shaft.

For the matrix program, I don't know why, but despite it's described as higher launch shaft, Trackman said that it launch lower, around 18-19 deg, higher spin rate, around 5500, and carry 120m ish.....It didn't feel any softer compared to my GS, even I think its slightly less soft.

Might consider the Matrix Program 95 5.0.....good idea or not?

to be honest i dunno what matrix marketing mean exactly by calling them high launch (and high launch compared to what, x100s?), maybe the message from their engineering got lost in translation or something. anyway, while they are no low pierce and run bullets, i'd say they more mid height overall but trajectory they produce is kinda different in that its more like rise, stay there flat, drop. its certainly possible to hit low flying runners with them if you want but normally i think thats their designed trajectory. so i wondnt worry about what matrix marketing says, if you like what you see and feel go for them. if you did it on indoor trackman you might wanna hit at least few real shots outside if you can. indoor trackman properly configured is pretty damn accurate but i personally found its more difficult to correlate what you see on the screen to real ball flight as you perceive it when hitting outside but even if you cant you can still print out trajectory comparison graphic between all the shafts you tested so you should be able to see exact flight difference for you between them.