Wedge Help Please

marmaduk

Well gents.

I am on my way to getting my dream bag.

I have purchased the Ryoma D1 Vspec 10.5 from one of our members

I have purchased the Spoon HD from Chris

And I have a set of Epon 302s Copper being made as we speak.

My next quest is the wedge department.

Although individually one of the least expensive clubs in the bag it would seem that people here go through wedges like Taco Bell goes through toilet paper.

I am very interested in Taylormade's ATV for its versatile grind and am having troubles finding a link to customer reviews. Tario yours was great! I find the search option on the forum quite useless at times but maybe I am being a bit of a lump head and not using it properly. They have been out for about a year. Can anyone give me the scoop? Who is still using them one year later?

I have also looked into nonconforming as well. I have literally never backed up a ball in my life but my current coach who is really good says when he is done with me I will regret getting non conforming and will have no problems stopping a ball soon enough.

Basically I want everyone's input on which wedge they have been using the longest and why they think it is so great.

The Miura K grind with the knuckles really interests me as well.

And, obviously all of the hype on the Bold Wedge has got me tingling but I will wait and see on that one.

Is there a poll out there on which is best wedge or something along that line?

If not, can someone set that up for me? I'm still a bit of a noob and don't want to start one if there already is one or miss out onsome great clubs to put on the poll.

Thanks all in advance

Cheers, Jeff

J

I've tried a few wedges BUT for me Epon feel the best

Here's my new ones

084D711E-8541-4B58-A985-2221399D45B7-2178-000000D46E81F490.jpg

These are so easy to use, just point and shoot!!

I dare say there's some out there, that will spin more but for me these work best!

Btw

Nice bag coming together!!

And a set of AF302's coming... Lucky man

K is great wedge. knuckles grind is very versatile. if you are not doing flops off tight/hard lies it wont let you down. heavy head weight and i mean heavy which is a big plus in my book. its too soft for its own good tho and takes damage way too easily and i guess that would apply to grooves as well so given its not off the rack kinda cheap might not be the best investment if you play/practice alot. you can always resharpen them grooves tho. thats probably the only negative thing about it. the only improvement i can think of otherwise would be if they made it feel the same super buttery soft on small shots like it does but at the same time made it feel firm on full shots.

The Miura K grind with the knuckles really interests me as well.

First of all that's one heck of a bag you're putting together. :)

I think wedges (besides the putter) are a bit harder to find without experimenting. So many different shapes and sizes, grinds (bounce) etc.

A lot can depend on the type of course you play. Hard pan, lush, hard greens, soft greens, sand type... etc, etc.

What have you played so far?? What suits the eye? Love the Epon wedges but for me they are on the too big side....

What lofts are you considering?

Edited by idrive

Echo the others in saying, Nice Bag!

Also agree with iDrive that wedge choice really depends on specific swing pattern, type of lie you play on most, etc. But I've been through tons of wedges and have never felt so settled as the last couple of years with Miura's. I tried the knuckle versions (3 and 1), and didn't care for them either -- especially on tight lies. But both the Y and C grinds I've only been able to describe as soft scalpels. Feel like I can literally aim at specific blades of grass and feel the dimples on the ball roll across the club face. The C-grind is the best wedge I've ever found for sand play, hard or soft. Wish I could find a JDM 64, but have never seen one, and so use the Cally Forged Copper which also has very nice feel and precision.

All that said, I have one of the Bold's on order -- couldn't resist trying that design... <g></g>

Edited by RLL33

rll33,

i know you've been looking for a jdm 64* for a while. have you considered bending an ultra low bounce 61* like the yururi raw gekku to 64*? there should be no problem bending it 3* since there's no chrome/finish to crack and the ending bounce will still only be 8*...which is perfect in my book!

I did think about that, M. In fact, I bought that Gekku, but didn't feel right about using a non-conforming -- or bending something that beautiful. Put it on BST a couple weeks back after just playing with it in my backyard a few times. It WAS fun though -- the spin those things generate is off the scale -- it even backed up on my artificial green!

nothing wrong with non-conforming...they're legal for us mortals until 2024!

I did not know that... Excellent!!

Not a fan of miura 1957 wedges. Had a trio. The 56k was the beso te lot

But found them too crisp hard and heavy. Would thin the balls a lot.shifted to

Crazy toyos and am good. I will be getting a 50 of either yururi or bold

Can't go w g with the wedges now looks for something g that suits your eye and playing conditions. Don't get wedges that your favorite player or best friend plays

Thanks guys for all the info

As far as conditions go I live in Vancouver Canada. Rains all the time here so the ground I play on is very soft and mucky most of the time. This also means that the public coarse that I play a lot have very hard bunkers from the rain packing it down.

What kind of grind on a wedge should I be looking for in such conditions? (bunker and fairways) Is this what an M grind is meant for? I dig at the ball a lot and sometimes get the club stuck a little when chipping. Should I get something with leading edge relief?

How about bounce?

I play conditions similar to yours. I've played most wedges out there. MiurA 51y and 56k is best I've found. Get them. They will not disappoint..

if you are looking for just one wedge i'd say you gonna have to get very creative with it. for very hard bunkers you gonna need something with lots of loft, narrow sole and very little bounce which gonna make things more challenging for you off very soft stuff especially if you a digger like you say. get at least two wedges like 56 high bounce and 60 low bounce or whatever suits you.

i would second that but with K you cant really open it much on a very hard packed bunker shot because them knuckles will get in the way and add bounce so if there is no give in that sand you cant play it that way and you either chip it if its a low lip or if its higher lip and clean soft pitch wont be enough loft you gonna be pretty much screwed with K if you need more loft unless your name is Seve Ballesteros.

I play conditions similar to yours. I've played most wedges out there. MiurA 51y and 56k is best I've found. Get them. They will not disappoint..

50/8

54/10

58/10

Generally speaking for your playing conditions and playing them as mentioned.

If you have a steep swing, really come down on the ball you may want even more bounce.

The forged Vokeys would be a good place to start. Hopefully you can at least look at or demo

some wedges and find something that looks good to your eye

Thanks guys for all the info

As far as conditions go I live in Vancouver Canada. Rains all the time here so the ground I play on is very soft and mucky most of the time. This also means that the public coarse that I play a lot have very hard bunkers from the rain packing it down.

What kind of grind on a wedge should I be looking for in such conditions? (bunker and fairways) Is this what an M grind is meant for? I dig at the ball a lot and sometimes get the club stuck a little when chipping. Should I get something with leading edge relief?

How about bounce?

The Miura C-grind is perfect for rainy, soft conditions. The Y-grind is good for tight lies and pitching. Nothing wrong with mixing.

The Miura C-grind is perfect for rainy, soft conditions. The Y-grind is good for tight lies and pitching. Nothing wrong with mixing.

OP

If you think the Miura's might be a good choice I'd contact vanla01 ASAP as he has some for sale.

i'd get something with more bounce based on what you say, maybe 10 like idrive said, maybe more like 12. it also depends on what kinda wedge it is because effective bounce number is good to start with but how it actually plays would differ also depending on how wide the sole is, relief and camber eg some wedges that have high bounce number on them dont play that way. so if you gonna be using 58 from sand and there is often hard packed sand where you are try to find something that has high bounce but also aggressive heel relief so you can get less bounce when you need it. have a look at scratch grinds, they do alot of digger grinds i think and from jdm there is a really cool yururi tour wedge on tsg here which i think has loads of heel relief. i havent hit it (always wanted to tho), just a suggestion based the way the grind looks and its specs. those heel/toe aggressive relief wedges are harder to play, they less automatic (less stable) and you have to be more precise with them to make them work to your advantage, just something to note.

Edited by ant