Face Angle......

JayDM

Just felt like posting this up, would like to see what everyone elses thoughts on the topic are. I can't stand when brands try to adjust the flight of woods with open or closed faces, it totally throws me off and a good bit of the time it's the reason why I don't buy certain drivers or FW's, I can live with the slightest bit of an open face on a wood that I really love, but 100% of the time I would prefer a square face, I can't seem to understand why such a large amount of brands feel the need to design clubs with open or closed faces, I see the theory behind it, but I just think it's a flawed way to go about adjusting ball flight.... I can understand an adjustable driver that has the option to be adjusted from square to open or closed, but a club that gives you no choice in the matter but to live with the open or closed face just turns me away, maybe it's just the fact that there ARE alot of woods that I would buy if not for the open or closed face that makes me dislike the practice so much.... Would like to know how others feel about it.

if my miss is left and i wanna eliminate it or at least try to minimize it as much as possible open face helps with that. say i bag a 3w that is a fade machine, its so severely doctored its very hard (but not impossible) to make it go left and i know that on average statistically it gets me a fade to straight but mostly small fade. its kinda one trick pony but it practically eliminates the left side. adjustabilily gimmick would do nothing on this 3w for me because a) the variance they offer is nowhere in the range i need. b) you change one thing on it and something else changes too. c) once i know what i need on it i wont mess with it again. closed faces is industry norm right now for retail clubs, same as upright lie angles with selling point of a slice cure. another reason you would see lots of various tour players going with open faces tour van heads and set and forget adapter settings, there is no real hosel to adjust on those drivers anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

@JayDM: I am 100% with you on that topic.

In case you want open or close faces please buy an adjustable club. For all the rest who want a "pure" club, please let us have it with a square face. To me this feels like cheating.

Furthermore I don't understand the guys who produce that kind of clubs. It seems to be a lot of extra effort to do so deliberately. In case you have a weak production and can't control the face angle anyway that would be a different story. But that should not be the case for premium JDM clubs.