Golftec

• 3 weeks later...

I tried them for about 10 lessons and to be honest, they didn't help a bit. To me it was a case of paralysis by analysis. Everything is "by the numbers" with those sensors they make you wear. There is some good feedback you can get from their analysis but I feel they are better suited for a 10+ handicapper. I play to a 5 and just did not get a whole lot out of it.

If you want to try it, get their "one-time" evaluation to see where you're at. Then go find a real teacher.

I guess after 10 sessions of hitting balls into a net, evaluating your swing "by the numbers", and 40+ hours of practice this winter I expected to be swinging better and that was not the case. They had my swing so flat I was topping my fairway woods!!! :? Their teaching methods, which are the same for ALL of their teachers does not take into consideration any "individuality" of the student, i.e. their method is to teach ONE way swinging the club, whether it's right for you or not. They do not concern themselves with ball flight (there is none hitting into a net 6' away) only with degrees of turn, tilt, etc. If you fall outside of their "range" -- it needs to be fixed.

In the aftermath of my disasterous winter with them I have gone back to my old teacher (who is not available during the winter) and after ONE lesson yesterday and few VERY minor modifications, my swing is back!!! :D

The long and short of it is not ALL teaching philosophies are the same and I did not like that Golftec tried to drastically change the swing that got me to a 5 handicap. Like I said, (IMO) their teaching methods are better suited to beginners and mid-handicaps. Their is NO one swing that suits ALL golfers and the Golftec swing certainly did not fit mine.

I have heard that Golftec has a little too much "by the numbers" kind of teaching. I think that every individual is different. Thanks for the info. I am going to try and find a "PGA" professional. I have asked around though, and found that a few of my foursomes friends had some bad experience with a "PGA" pro. Does the "PGA" mean that they are a better teacher than anyone else? I am curious about this as well. I know that I have taken some money off of the pro at my club, and I am a 4-5 handicap. And the feedback that I have on him and his teaching ability is all negative. I don't know if he is "PGA" or not. This is why I am asking about the golftec or any other methods. Are there any ways to know how qualified a teacher is, maybe certain questions I can ask beforehand?

I think you can take ONE lesson from a guy to see how you like him. Evaluations work both ways. Their teaching style has to click with what you're trying to accomplish. Each player is different. What works for you probably wouldn't work for a 20 hdcp. and vice versa. Generally, the top 100 teachers have gotten to where they are for a reason and if you can, pay for a "better" teacher, i.e. Top 100, but even that is no gaurantee.

• 4 weeks later...

I use them and I like them, but keep these points in mind;

You need to want to change your swing

Even if it is one system there are good and bad teachers

You can either learn from the video or not - some people are wired for visual input

Thay are not as good as spending 5K for a few days with Butch for a 2 handycapper but it might be better for a 25 handycap

• 3 weeks later...

If you are very new to golf I think is great. I am new to the sport and didnt have any clubs yet so I had been going to golf smith for about a month looking at different clubs. I guess the sales man got tired of me going in there everyday so he told me I can get 20% off any set of clubs. I asked them If they would also throw in a 1hr golf Lession because I had no clue on what I was doing. They taped my swing and put next to some other guy. It gave me a better understanding of what people were trying to tell me. I got alot out of it.

to golf I think is great. I am new to the sport and didnt have any clubs yet so I had been going to golf smith for about a month looking at different clubs. I guess the sales man got tired of me going in there everyday so he told me I can get 20% off any set of clubs. I asked them If they would also throw in a 1hr golf Lession because I had no clue on what I was doing. They taped my swing and put next to some other guy. It gave me a better understanding of what people were trying to tell me. I got alot out of it.

Good for you and welcome to the madness we call our passion. I wish you the best of luck with your expedition. Welcome to Tour Spec Golf.

sorry for the threadjack.

PGA, not "PGA", professionals are qualified and tested professional teachers.

the PGA is sinerely concerned with making golf easier because the more people playing golf the more money they make. If there is one thing I trust in this world its the greed of the rich to get richer, so I trust that they will try thier hardest to keep the level of thier teachers high.

I have taken lessons for four different PGA professionals, and overheard countless leasons on the range. 3 of them were highly ineffective 1 of them used video. The only one that I thought was effective, highly at that, used video, but not as complex as the other place, and was female, the others were all male.

With my experience I would say video is crucial to a good lesson. Just cause we feel one thing happening doesn't mean we are doing it, and sometimes it takes a picture to make it clear. I had a real bad overswing problem that I didn't have a clue about, even though other instructors tried to tell me about it and correct it, until I saw myself on tape. Just a warning the first time you see yourself might cause a sickening feeling, especially if you watch a lot of golf. However ask if you can save all the video's to a disc or tape and then go back sometime and see how you have evolved.

Also if your mother helped you with your homework when you were growing up, you may want to consider a female teacher... but never an attractive female.