ITOBORI Wedge Review

RLL33

I know many of us were taken with the look of Takai-san's design work on his Itobori grind irons. The artistry and care for detail are immediately striking, as is his totally hand held craftsmanship evident in the videos posted from his studio. 

I had to find out if the feel matched the fine look, so I ordered up a couple of custom wedges through Chris: a 56-onset and my cherished 64 lob magic secret weapon, both in the smoked copper look I've come to love, slightly refined by the Master to let more copper show through around the edges.

Well, I played them for the first time this week, and the verdict is in for me: these things are not only magnificent looking, they play wonderfully. The S25 is as soft as one would expect, just buttery and crisp. Sound is that magic clip that I'm always looking for from a wedge, changed to a soft pffft when the face is opened up. Out of sand, both were like hot swords cutting through rare beef. Great spin around the greens, even out of some rough Kikuya and thicker than normal collars we have at my home course. Impact is sometimes so soft as to feel non-existent, but it was point, aim, and shoot all day. Half swings, full swings, chips, pitches -- it was special delivery from all kinds of lies and circumstances.

In short, the feel is the same as the look -- elegant, precise, max performance from high end design and craftsmanship. 

Probably going to have to go for some more... 

Here are a few pics:

IMG_3931.JPG

IMG_3930.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3927.JPGIMG_3932.JPG

IMG_3936.JPG

IMG_3933.JPG

Oooh lovely clubs!! 

I really want to try the driver.....hint hint in case anyone has one!