How does offset help or not help

Alifried2

I am looking for a new set of irons. The irons I used previously were the TM cb's my main problem was hitting them consistently, my bad shots went right and I am a righty. My pro told me I should get player cb's as this will help me improve. So is the offset my problem and will it help getting a GD ,mp 27 ,x blade cb. Sorry about double post I am new to the whole forum thing though I love it!!! Also am I correct to assume that offset and face progression are the same thing ???

What taylor made cb's were you playing before?

How was your ball going right... was it starting right and staying there, or was it going straight and turning right?

offset is meant to givethe user an extra split second to square the club face, and decrease the starting straight and turning right, known as a fade or a slice depending on the dramatic it is.

If you want to decrease your score then switch to something more forgiving, like callaway. If you want to better your swing go with a players cb. The Players cb will be much harder to strike pure than the callaway, however it will give you more acturate feedback on your swing and demand more from your swing.

A friend of mine's little brother is graduating high school this year, he is an amazing golfer and has asperations of going pro. He practices with mb's, Wilson VIP's, range work and the occational round. When plays in compatition or warming up for compatition he plays cb's, some older Ping.

So it all depends on what you are going after... this kid found a way to get the best of both worlds.

The cb's I was playing were the rac cb's made by miura. I loved the feeling ,but my main problem is that my ball flight starts relatively straight and goes a little further right. Also I hate the look of the oversized clubheads like callaway x-16, TM os ,and those type of clubs. So I am looking for the most forgiving player cb as this will help me now and later. Also with the cb's I had no probelm getting the ball up just hitting it consistently.

What were you playing prior to the TMs? If your previous irons had more offset, there will be an adjustment period.

Offset is designed to keep the players hands ahead of the clubhead / ball through impact. A byproduct is the extra split second you have to square it up. With less offset, you're probably repeating the swing that gave you good results with your old clubs... which means you may not be effectively keeping your hands ahead of the clubhead through impact or squaring up the face (again, assuming your old clubs had more offset).

Stick with them for a few more weeks and try to consciously keep your hands SLIGHTLY ahead of the ball / clubhead at impact. You'll probably find this easier to do with the short irons, so practice with those and then move to the longer clubs when comfortable.

I am looking for a new set of irons. The irons I used previously were the TM cb's my main problem was hitting them consistently, my bad shots went right and I am a righty. My pro told me I should get player cb's as this will help me improve. So is the offset my problem and will it help getting  a GD ,mp 27 ,x blade cb. Sorry about double post I am new to the whole forum thing though I love it!!! Also am I correct to assume that offset and face progression are the same thing ???

Yes, face prgression and offset are basically the same thing. However face progression can be a positive or negative number which corresponds to offset or onset.

The TM CBs are a "player's cb" so your pro is saying something confusing. I would think a pro would tell you to practice the right drills more to work on reducing side spin on the ball which is causing the ballto go right. This could be becuase you do not have enough lag in your swing, possibly an open club face, or square face with a slight outside to in path, etc....

A more forgiving club can only keep the ball more in play. But if path, face angle, and impact are producing a shot that ends up to the right, a more forgiving club will produce the same ball flight, just possibly not as dramatic.

If you like your irons, then stick with them. Find drills to help your swing flaws.

And make sure the shaft is right for you.

Good luck.