Spine alignment and blueprinting?

sixxiron

Hello all,

I'm kind of new to this forum so please don't slam me when I ask these questions. First, is there an easy way to find the spine of a rifle flighted shaft. If so, once the spine is located where should it be aligned for optimal consistency? Last question, what does the term "blueprinting" mean and how is it done? Sorry if these questions seem basic but I am just getting in to clubmaking and I am having a blast so far! Thanks in advance for your help.

Sixx

"to "Blueprint" your clubs. Each club is measured for length, flex and swingweight. Shafts are checked for straightness. All measurements are permanently recorded on a chart. Blueprint data will reveal the quality and "fit" of your clubs. A "go, no go" decision is made at this point. Finishing the SST PURE ® process would be a waste of time and money if your clubs have insurmountable problems. Examples of insurmountable problems would be inconsistent shafts, inappropriate flexes or excessive deviation in swingweight. You can't SST PURE ® a bent shaft. Blueprinting will tell whether your current set fits your game. "

I had saved that off a web site. I hope it helps since no one seems to be replying to your question.

"to "Blueprint" your clubs. Each club is measured for length, flex and swingweight. Shafts are checked for straightness. All measurements are permanently recorded on a chart. Blueprint data will reveal the quality and "fit" of your clubs. A "go, no go" decision is made at this point. Finishing the SST PURE ® process would be a waste of time and money if your clubs have insurmountable problems. Examples of insurmountable problems would be inconsistent shafts, inappropriate flexes or excessive deviation in swingweight. You can't SST PURE ® a bent shaft. Blueprinting will tell whether your current set fits your game. "

I had saved that off a web site. I hope it helps since no one seems to be replying to your question.

VAgolfnut... that's a start, but doesn't even touch the surface.

The process of blueprinting consists of matching each part of the club for consistency... not just measuring the parts of the existing club. Blueprinting will require that the existing shafts and grips be discarded. The first step is to weigh the heads - head weights should progress consistently heavier from the 3 iron to the PW (generally each head is 7g heavier than the last one). The grips should weigh the same, shafts should have the same flex profile (ie.. all 5.5 rifles) and be spined and FLO'd, and lastly, each club should be EXACTLY the same swingweight (or whatever swingweight you request... same throughout the set, or D0 in the 3 iron, +.5 through the PW at D3.5).

Most good clubmakers charge anywhere from $50 to $60 per club to perform this work as it's very time consuming... could take up to 1 hour per club for the entire process.

You'll need a simple spine finder to locate the spine. Do a search for Colin d**k (he's a canadian clubmaker). He sells them for around $40 US.

I try to align the spine at 9 o'clock (when looking from address the toe of the club would be 12, the heel would be 6). Most shafts are in a position of stability when bending INTO the spine.

More important than finding the spine is finding FLO. Best of both worlds is when you get FLO with the spine at 9 o'clock.

FLO = Flat Line Oscillation... it's the most stable plane of the shaft, where the shaft oscillates straight down the target line, instead of off plane.