ProjectX vs. Rifle Flighted?

mike_c70

Hi guys,

I'm planning on reshafting my irons. I play a Rifle Flighted 6.0 and was thinking about switching to PXs. Are they PX shafts all they are made out to be? I'm happy with my 6.0s but would prefer a lower ball flight. Would the PX do this? Also, I read in another thread below that the PX are stiffer than advertised. But I'm confused to how much. Some say 1.5X others 0.3-0.4.

Anyways, is it worth switching to PX or should I just stick with the Flighted 6.0s?

Thanks!

Mike

I switched to the PX from the Flighted Rifle and am glad I did. I use the 5.0 flex; my swingspeed with the driver is ~95mph. Ball goes lower and with a flatter trajectory and is more accurate. I play with the PX in all my irons and the PW, Flighted Rifle in the SW, LW and XL.

The PX takes a little getting used to and probably only helps the better ball striker. The 5.5 flex should be fine but I don't think you'd find the 5.0 too whippy. They are expensive so I recommend you demo one (even if it's inside on a launch monitor) before you make the switch.

Jeff

I have always been a big fan of DGS300's. I wanted to try something a bit stiffer and was debating between soft stepping X100 or going with a PX 6.0. Then the long debate as to wether the 6.0PX would be too stiff. I also have a TM 6 iron with a TFR in it so had some good comaprisons.

Anyway keep in mind that a few factors will affect teh feel. Do you plan to stay with the same length and swing weight as present if so, the 6.0 PX may fell just a tad stiffer.

Mine came out to a 6.2 and I am happy with the feel. My 5 iron is 38" and swing weight is D4.

If you are not going to do the work then get in touch with Joe K.

If you are going to do the work try a 6 iron first . Leaderboardgolf.com sells individual PX irons.

Lastly keep in mind that the 5.5PX weighs about 10 grams less that the 6.0PX- so wight will play a factor.

Also check this out http://www.royalprecision.com/RoyalTreatme...gCalculator.cfm

I switched from DGS300s to PX 6.0s and did the work myself using the dowel insertion method mentioned here (thanks to Joe Kwok for his insight):

http://forums.prospero.com/golfequip/messa...es?msg=141591.1

I've really felt great about making the change. With the dowel insertion I don't really feel that the Project X shafts are stiffer, I get great feed back from the clubs and the flight of the ball is awesome. The ball gets up in the air, seems to flatten out and then just drop right down on the green. I don't know about the shafts being "stiffer," the 6.0 means that they measure out at the same frequency as standard 6.0 rifles but from what I've read is that they are a bit stiffer in the tip than standard rifles. Also, I've heard people say that the PX's are better for those that are hitters as opposed to swingers.

That Frequency Matching Calculator doesn't help me at all. They base it on a 37.5" 5-iron (mine is 38"). Also the driver is 43" (mine is 45"). My driver swing speed on average is 105MPH with ability to top out at 115MPH. I try to match my tempo like Ernie and Couples, hence the slower swingspeed for me.

I'm not sure if I consider myself a hitter or a swinger. I guess I'll ask my swingcoach.

That Frequency Matching Calculator doesn't help me at all. They base it on a 37.5" 5-iron (mine is 38"). Also the driver is 43" (mine is 45"). My driver swing speed on average is 105MPH with ability to top out at 115MPH. I try to match my tempo like Ernie and Couples, hence the slower swingspeed for me.

I'm not sure if I consider myself a hitter or a swinger. I guess I'll ask my swingcoach.

You can change all the variables in the calculator. + or - length Swingweight, etc.

I guess I'm not doing it right. If I tweak it the way I usually play my irons, according to that, I should be playing a 4.5 shaft!

Did yopu set your "desired FCM Level" to match how far you drive the ball or hit a 5 iron ?

At 4.5 it would mean that you drive the ball 202 yards and hit a 5 iron 158 yards.

Yeah, I did, my desired FCM is 6.0. SW D2, and 45" driver length. It ends up being 4.6

That's right. For a driver if your swing speed is 100 mph and you want a steel shat to frequency at 6.0 you would probbaly have to get a 5.0 shaft. Keep in mind that with Royal shafts the longer you make them the stiffer they get. I do not want to start the debate on that- but if you do your homework reading Royal's Q and A that's what they state.

Hold on. Going off the track but I'm totally confused now. If want a FCM of 6.0 I should be getting a 5.0? Is this for irons or drivers?

Well you used the driver did you not. See change the club selection. If you play a standard 5 iron then do not change the length. That is what is throwing off your calculation.

Thanks! Make sense now. I'm still a 6.0 but what am I with the PXs? I've heard conflicting stories as to how much stiffer they play. Are they really worth it or should I just stick with my Flighted?

Results differ from person to person. If you need a shaft that gets your long irons up then get the TFR. If you have the $$$$ and like DG and want something different then get the PX.

When I switched to PX I did not get a big gain in distance like some people claim.