Basic shaft question ?

markooo

I just picked up a set of Maruman Conductor YG heads. I am 98% sure these are forged. I was playing around and inserting shafts and realized that these require a parallel tip shaft. Is this common for some older forged sets ?

Also, when setting a taper tip and parallel set side by side ( both DG 300S ) I noticed that the step patterns were not the same. Do they also differ between the two types of shafts?

Last question. I have a rechromed set of 67' MacGregor VIPs with the longer hosels. How should I handle the shorter shaft problem which will effect the stiffness.

Thanks,Mark.

Mark,

The parallel shafts have 1.875" steps, the tapered are 1.75" steps. This is normal. A number of forged heads do indeed have parallel hosels. Taper is more common, but the fact they are .370" should be no cause for concern. Regarding the MT irons, install the shafts as you normnally would. The hosel length issue will not be enough to caus a noticeable playability difference.