SUPER STROKE Grip Review

bogeydog

Yes go ahead and make fun of me.....I bought this grip after seeing KJ Choi using it here at The AT&T.

Yes it is ugly. Yes its makes the putter have a hollow sound. Yes it feels strange at first. And YES it works!

I am a notorious poor putter who involves the hands and wrists too much. I bought this to see what it was and how it worked. It is a simple idea. I put it on my G-field Zone #1 (yes that may be sacreligious).

I immediately noticed the weird sound...hollow and tinny. I thought about removing the grip immediately. Today I decided to play a round with it. I was impressed. I putted the best this year. 5 one putts, with one 65 footer and the rest 10-15 footers. Short puts were simple. Long putts were better than ever. I won't take it off now.

It may seem as a gimmic, but I had fun today and it did what advertised. The best sound is when the ball rolls in the cup!

Curious to know if the weight was affected at all with that grip, or is the grip itself lightweight thereby having little to no effect?

The grip is plastic with a funny rubbery feel. It is superlight so weight didn't seem to change although I didn't weight it.

Curious to know if the weight was affected at all with that grip, or is the grip itself lightweight thereby having little to no effect?

i was considering this grip before but i have improved my putting by adding some lead tape at the front end and butt area of my putter and have vastly improved my putts. still experimenting with my grip but will defintely put this in my back up putter and test it out.

Weight can help also if it is enough. It forces the larger muscles of the shoulders to work rather than those with the hands. The SS grip helps the hands just relax and the larger muscles work instead.

i was considering this grip before but i have improved my putting by adding some lead tape at the front end and butt area of my putter and have vastly improved my putts. still experimenting with my grip but will defintely put this in my back up putter and test it out.

Weight can help also if it is enough. It forces the larger muscles of the shoulders to work rather than those with the hands. The SS grip helps the hands just relax and the larger muscles work instead.

I know what you mean. with the stock grip of my leap i tend to grip harder than usual which tends to make my wrists and muscles tense up. i have to keep reminding myself to lighten my grip. maybe this would be the ideal solution

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey B-dog,

Are you still playing with this grip? If so, how is it working out for you? Have you done anything with the head such as weighting to eliminate that hollow, tinny sound?

Reason I'm asking is after watching KJ the other day and getting to thinking; (you all know how that goes), I was wondering if this would really be in fact beneficial. In looking at that grip it appears to be the size of papertowel roll or toliet paper roll. So just to see I took my Zone 1 wrapped a washcloth around the grip (to increase the size) and then slid a cardboard papertowel roll around it and made some strokes. I was very much amazed at how that large of a grip could relax your hands so much they're completely taken out of the stroke. Yet, I still had great control. I only putted on the carpet but the feeling was amazing. Its was very easy to putt and much more consitent. This feeling I received is basically the whole concept of the Super Stroke grip. I was very astounded at the results. Now I'm pondering these way-oversize grips for putting. Just need Nowon or Iomic to come out with them!

The one thing I noticed about doing this was it set the hands up in a very weak position. When I went back to the regular grip, I kept that somewhat same weak position and tried to keep my grip light and I did get some to the same results. However, when I had the temporary extra-large grip, I didn't have to think about weak hand position and light pressure. The grip just made that natural from the start and all I needed to concentrate on was the target.

I play it sometimes. It does help your hands relax and takes them out of the putt. The tinny/hollow sound is still there. I think other manufacturers use more rubber types rather than the plastic of this grip. I still think it works well and I move between two putters.

Hey B-dog,

Are you still playing with this grip? If so, how is it working out for you? Have you done anything with the head such as weighting to eliminate that hollow, tinny sound?

Reason I'm asking is after watching KJ the other day and getting to thinking; (you all know how that goes), I was wondering if this would really be in fact beneficial. In looking at that grip it appears to be the size of papertowel roll or toliet paper roll. So just to see I took my Zone 1 wrapped a washcloth around the grip (to increase the size) and then slid a cardboard papertowel roll around it and made some strokes. I was very much amazed at how that large of a grip could relax your hands so much they're completely taken out of the stroke. Yet, I still had great control. I only putted on the carpet but the feeling was amazing. Its was very easy to putt and much more consitent. This feeling I received is basically the whole concept of the Super Stroke grip. I was very astounded at the results. Now I'm pondering these way-oversize grips for putting. Just need Nowon or Iomic to come out with them!

The one thing I noticed about doing this was it set the hands up in a very weak position. When I went back to the regular grip, I kept that somewhat same weak position and tried to keep my grip light and I did get some to the same results. However, when I had the temporary extra-large grip, I didn't have to think about weak hand position and light pressure. The grip just made that natural from the start and all I needed to concentrate on was the target.

I guess it is true what they say, different strokes for different folks... I tried the Super Stroke grip and thought it was terrible!!!! Not only does it have a thin plastic feel, but there is no feel when you strike the ball. And, two young up and coming superstars (both +2 handicaps)with whom I work with did not care for the Super Stroke either. Are there any other pros beside K.J. who use the SS grip?

Doc

I may have to try this ! I have tried virtually everything else including the two thumb grip (or whatever it was called!) and still fail to find any kind of consistency on the putting green. Maybe I am my own worst enemy when it comes to putting, I do keep swapping between putters which could be scranbling my head even more.

I used my G-Field Tera for every round for nearly 3 months and my putting (and confidence) greatly improved, I swapped to my Premium Zone #0 and couldn't sink anything over 4 feet, swapped back to the Tera with the same results! 3 and 4 puts are ruining every round for me, could this grip be the Holy Grail????

I haven't had a chance to see and touch this grip but I'm not crazy about it being plastic. I will say that my concocted attempt with a washcloth and papertowel roll felt quite nice. Maybe another grip company could come with a large round grip with great feel. That would definitely be worth a shot. I haven't seen anyone use this besides KJ, but my own experimentations lead me to believe the concept definitely has some merits. Now all we need is a grip that feels and looks good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried this grip about 6 months ago and although it really helped take the hands out of the stroke, I did't like the feel that I got from the putter. Sort of hollow or lack of feeling.

That being said, I picked up a Spider putter a week ago and was messing around with it to make it more like a Heavy putter by putting the heaviest weights I could find in it and filling the shaft with sugar. I decided, since I already had the original grip off, to try this grip again. This time the feel is really good. Decided to leave the grip on and play a few rounds with it and see how it goes.

Aloha

Randy