Introducing the S-Yard BOLD Forged Wedge - a revolutionary design

gocchin

Keep in mind about the offset, I actually talked to Kobayashi-san about the progressive offset in the Bold.

There is slight offset in the approach wedges progressing to a straight neck in the 58 and 60 Lob as you see in my pics that Chris posted.

"The BOLD is of course thicker up top but its tear drop shape and darker finish do not give the impression that it is a thick wedge at address (though it clearly is when you look at the back face). The offset is progressive meaning that the lower lofts have a touch of offset progressing into much less offset in the higher lofts. Mr. Kobayashi explains that each loft/wedge has its specific intentions and offset is taken into consideration as Mr. Kobayshi breaks up his 5 lofts into 3 groups. The 50 and 52 which have offset are made for approach shots most likely with 3/4 to full swings. The slight offset helps square the face for better impact. The 56 and 58 are sand wedges which have less offset for control the less offset comes into play as well when the ball is played more forward in your stance for example in bunkers. Finally the 60 is the lob wedge with the least offset as it is meant for delicate control and touch shots. The less amount of offset allows you to direct the ball where you want it to go."

I also talk about the shape for those who think the wedge looks big. Due to the design with more of the weight up top in the blade it was of course a challenge to hide a "chunky" look and they did pretty good I think considering.

I've said this before about many clubs, and the Bold falls in the category of not necessarily a good looking club but one with a design meant to be functional. There are many beautiful clubs out there (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) that don't necessarily perform as well as they look, then there are ugly clubs who do what they are meant to do, and of course worst of all there are also ugly clubs that simply suck.

While looks are very high on my list, I will choose performance and function over beauty, though I don't necessarily think these are terrible looking in anyway. A bit thicker (but that can't be helped due to the design) and too much stamping (a typical Japanese design mistake). Otherwise they have the design makings of an awesome performer and great feeling endo forged wedge. In the next few days we will all know for sure.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said this before about many clubs, and the Bold falls in the category of not necessarily a good looking club but one with a design meant to be functional. There are many beautiful clubs out there (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) that don't necessarily perform as well as they look, then there are ugly clubs who do what they are meant to do, and of course worst of all there are also ugly clubs that simply suck. While looks are very high on my list, I will choose performance and function over beauty,

I would tend to agree with the above.

Local dealer just got their shipment as well and the order list will be picking up by today.

being stuck in the middle of the usdm market, i've grown to hate all the crap glued all over the back of irons nowadays. it reminds me of two things, a decorator crab's shell and cruising in tiajuana! however, something about everything on the back of the bold works for me. i can't explain it but i fell for these instantly. i'm just hoping their performance lives up to my expectations.

being stuck in the middle of the usdm market, i've grown to hate all the crap glued all over the back of irons nowadays. it reminds me of two things, a decorator crab's shell and cruising in tiajuana! however, something about everything on the back of the bold works for me. i can't explain it but i fell for these instantly. i'm just hoping their performance lives up to my expectations.

I spoke to S-Yard just now and yours are being boxed as we speak. You will find out very soon!

I spoke to S-Yard just now and yours are being boxed as we speak. You will find out very soon!

I hope mine are in the mix also.

I hope mine are in the mix also.

Yes sir they are.

The problem with them being all international orders, the paper work is more extensive and S-Yard is still new to shipping outside of Japan but I know they are trying their best to get all our orders out over the next few days.

I held the 50, 52, 56, 58 and 60 tonight and I can confirm any concerns over size and offset are unfounded! They are bigger than say the miura a or my DWDs but only just and the black finish masks it very well. 60 is straight neck as can be and the offset on the 50 and 52 is minimal.

As for the thickness, they are much slimmer in the metal than in the pics. AND in the metal, they look a lot nicer!

I unfortunately did not have time to hit the demos but will by this weekend.

Only possible concern is how the finish will hold up for bunker play which is a general concern for most dark finishes.

For me, the Bold is the best new offering for s-yard by a mile so far (caveat: I have yet to hit them) and if anything can transform s-yard from the "old man" brand it has been synonymous with for yonks here, it should be the bold. Well done s-yard and kobayashi.

Edited by wmclarenf1

I held the 50, 52, 56, 58 and 60 tonight and I can confirm any concerns over size and offset are unfounded! They are bigger than say the miura a or my DWDs but only just and the black finish masks it very well. 60 is straight neck as can be and the offset on the 50 and 52 is minimal.

As for the thickness, they are much slimmer in the metal than in the pics. AND in the metal, they look a lot nicer!

I unfortunately did not have time to hit the demos but will by this weekend.

Only possible concern is how the finish will hold up for bunker play which is a general concern for most dark finishes.

For me, the Bold is the best new offering for s-yard by a mile so far (caveat: I have yet to hit them) and if anything can transform s-yard from the "old man" brand it has been synonymous with for yonks here, it should be the bold. Well done s-yard and kobayashi.

Thanks for the feedback A.

This is what I have been saying all along. In the images there is an illusion of them being big due to the way the center is cut out the top looks chunky.

And I'm glad you noticed the 60* has pretty much a straight neck.

Finish we shall see since its not plated but it may wear nicely.

Now that our wedges have started shipping out I should have mine tomorrow...

It's too bad S-Yard has been seen as an older man brand... I can see why since they promoted their lightweight series so much (mistake on their part), and this caused people to overlook many of their other models like the deep faced GT Type S driver and fairway wood. The Type S launches even lower than the T.388 and is meant for the low handicapper and strong player.

Any info on custom jobs?

Yours is probably next week since Hirose-san will not come till then and you want the tour van build. (^_^)

being stuck in the middle of the usdm market, i've grown to hate all the crap glued all over the back of irons nowadays. it reminds me of two things, a decorator crab's shell and cruising in tiajuana!

Couldn't agree more. Seems like ever since TM decided to go white, every US company is in a race to the bottom. I was in a local shop yesterday, and the iron rack looked like a "Day Of The Dead" festival...

Yours is probably next week since Hirose-san will not come till then and you want the tour van build. (^_^)

I am not complaining about who does the build. From the pictures of the driver build, Hirose-san keeps his workshop in a similar state to my normal builder. Meticulously good builders do not always keep the cleanest work areas...

Next week will be wonderful for shipping, but theses wedges have a lot to live up to against the Crazy Toyos.

Out of curiosity, the S-Yard ball that shows up in some of the photos, is that simlar to the Epon ball that was released last year or just a custom ink job on a stock ball?

What about mine?

no sh*t man, this is getting seriously tiresome.

The only reason I didn't give up and cancel a couple weeks ago is that this is my first new club purchase from TSG, ever. Just wanted to get one under my belt, so that I could turn around and sell something on BST "as new" if I didn't like it.

HAHAHA have a little faith man! Maybe these will be "the best wedges ever!"

HAHAHA have a little faith man! Maybe these will be "the best wedges ever!"

Lol, sounds like a bad Rock album!!

Guest kbeasley

S-Yard Bold

B Sides and Rarities

Featuring the hit track "The Best Wedges Ever"

Wasn't it "Me First and the Gimme Gimmees" that did that one? Great band, back in the day. Didn't sell a lot, but had a small, rabid, cult like following.

My 50* Bold showed up today... being in Japan I have the benefit of next morning shipping.

The 50* has the strongest loft of the Bold's meaning it shows the most topline and also has the most offset (as I note offset progress to less and less as the lofts increase).

I think it still looks pretty good. Some offset for the 50* to nearly none in the 60*and the topline is not that thick considering all the weight is on top. Also as you can see from the pic, the head is not all that big if you compare it to the ball.

Been chipping it around the backyard and has that endo feel, soft but with feedback, sets up well. Love the milling.

post-8383-0-36153800-1365745760.jpg

looks good to me. if people can get used to the top line on the personals...it's hard to imagine not getting used to these.

will we get any tracking info for our orders?

looks good to me. if people can get used to the top line on the personals...it's hard to imagine not getting used to these.

will we get any tracking info for our orders?

Hi M,

I actually just emailed S-Yard to get me the numbers asap.

When I get yours I will send it over.

T

Hi M,

I actually just emailed S-Yard to get me the numbers asap.

When I get yours I will send it over.

T

awesome, thanks! if they play half as good as they look i'll probably pick up the 56 once all the current orders have been filled.

More beer and kbeasly crap me up. Nice one fellas.