club head speed vs carry distance

chuxiaoben

Went to a local club fitting center to test my swing.

The simulator records my swing speed is around 80~83 mph. However my driver carries 230~240 yd most the time.

According to the chart on golfwrx http://golf wrx/64715/carry-distance-vs-swing-speed-chart/, to carry 230 yd, swing speed is around 90 mph.

In my case, is it normal that slower swing speed can carry the ball further?

What flex should I play with?

Thank you,

Pretty sure you can't get 230y carry with a low 80s SS. I guess the simulator is juiced up to let the customrrs think they are getting better results with a newer driver.

A swing speed in the 80's will not produce a driver carry of 230-240yards. I would assume the machine measured your swing speed incorrectly especially if you routinely drive the ball between 230-240yards. You are probably more into the low 90's for swing speed. Getting a shaft based on swing speed alone is not a good idea best bet is to try various shafts in a couple of flexes to see which one produces the best result and feels the best to you.

You need more than 90 MPH to carry 230. That chart shows 90 for Total of 230. To Carry 230, you need close to 98 or 100. Either they WAY mis-read your swing speed or you aren't really carrying the ball 230-240 yards. A lot of guys I know THINK they carry it 250 but in reality it's more like 230-235 carry. Figure out which it is. 80 MPH won't come anywhere close to carrying 230, more like 190.

You need more than 90 MPH to carry 230. That chart shows 90 for Total of 230. To Carry 230, you need close to 98 or 100. Either they WAY mis-read your swing speed or you aren't really carrying the ball 230-240 yards. A lot of guys I know THINK they carry it 250 but in reality it's more like 230-235 carry. Figure out which it is. 80 MPH won't come anywhere close to carrying 230, more like 190.

Tested on course today. Recorded that most of my shots are around 240 with a longest shot 256 and shortest 230. I think my swing speed is into low 90's. I'll go to a different golf store to how exactly my swing speed is.

Thanks

Pretty sure you can't get 230y carry with a low 80s SS. I guess the simulator is juiced up to let the customrrs think they are getting better results with a newer driver.

That's been my beef with LMs... not the technology but how they are operated. Most I have been to have been juiced up and some just not setup correctly.. in both cases, any numbers are totally useless...

Edited by wmclarenf1

Those numbers sound right for TOTAL distance. 230-250 with low 90's swing speed. Your original post said 230-240 CARRY, which would require at least upper 90's.

very good contact. for the average 100mph swinger the actual total distances are about 256 from what I've seen.

I don't think 88mph could get someone to 230-240 unless hit totally perfect in the right conditions.

I think it is pretty hard to get reliable SS distances indoors on a monitor. The other day I was getting a club built and to kill time hit a demo Titleist CB 6 iron on a sim. the SS with the 6 iron came up at 94MPH--200yards!! That would roughly translate to a Driver SS of over 112. Very unreliable and unrealistic indoors.

Outside track man I am at best low100's and hit an avg drive roll and carry of 250-265 gps measured, which is where Chris states as well.

Get fit outdoors if you can make it happen that way. SS is only 1 factor to consider, transition speed (smooth vs fast), how well you load the shaft etc. Visually seeing the results makes a real difference as well. And if you can go home with the head and driver shaft of the one you hit that is preferred as there are differences in tolerances on heads and shafts.

My ss is at best 88mph or just under 40ms and I would give anything to consistent hit 230 total with roll. On a good day, 88mph would probably get me 210 to 220. One of my best drive this year during the winter months on a firm fairway was 240y measured with a GPS. I was not able duplicate that again since.

My ss is at best 88mph or just under 40ms and I would give anything to consistent hit 230 total with roll. On a good day, 88mph would probably get me 210 to 220. One of my best drive this year during the winter months on a firm fairway was 240y measured with a GPS. I was not able duplicate that again since.

That sounds about right. People always tend to think that they hit it further than they actually do. Just have to relate to what the pros at the pga hit with a ss of 110mph+.