R7... could this spell the end of the Tour Issue...

phillypete

I was thinking about this new R7 design with the weights and the tool and everything. I was just thinking this could put a hamper on the tour issue market...

What are the chances that the tour van's are going to be handing out each driver with a tool set? I say slim and not any. I doubt the tour van will even have any of the kits. Why would they. They would probably prefer to do any sort of adjusting for the players instead of having the players mess up thier drivers.

So if this does happen will this mean you'll then have to go out and purchase a weight and tool set, which will probably cost nothing less than $50 and be really hard to find. Not to mention if I were on tour and had a R7 I would have them epoxy the weights in place. If one were to work itself loose you wouldn't be able to tighten it.

Only time will tell but this new design could present some problems for those "If its not TOUR its CRAP" people.

In the past I know some of the tour drivers I've hit have been "better" than others. I attribute this to whether or not the driver was set up more like what I need to be beneficial to my swing tendencies. Given that you will be able to adjust your own driver now why get a tour driver adjusted for someone else unless you could change it. Now I'm sure they will have a better sound :roll: and be much more solid :lol: - on the other hand it might make getting a tour issue better because then you don't have to go through a bunch to find one that fits you (assuming that you can remove the weights). Time will tell.

I was thinking about this new R7 design with the weights and the tool and everything. I was just thinking this could put a hamper on the tour issue market...

What are the chances that the tour van's are going to be handing out each driver with a tool set? I say slim and not any. I doubt the tour van will even have any of the kits. Why would they. They would probably prefer to do any sort of adjusting for the players instead of having the players mess up thier drivers.

So if this does happen will this mean you'll then have to go out and purchase a weight and tool set, which will probably cost nothing less than $50 and be really hard to find. Not to mention if I were on tour and had a R7 I would have them epoxy the weights in place. If one were to work itself loose you wouldn't be able to tighten it.

Only time will tell but this new design could present some problems for those "If its not TOUR its CRAP" people.

I doubt it will have any effect but I'm one of the people who thinks this thing won't do well. There've been other companies that have tried this replacement weight system and it hasn't worked. In fact most people don't even care about this type of weighting system. I honestly can't think of one company that has been successful with interchangeable weights in their clubs, people just don't like them for whatever reason.

If the general public doesn't like them, then TM will shut these down pretty quick and come up with a new model for the tour. So IMO the tour issue driver will last quite awhile.

Plus, you have to remember, that TM floods the market with drivers for their pros. If 10 people don't like it they'll come up with a prototype for them and that will be the hot new thing.

I believe like the 510TP driver the R7 is an attempt by Taylor Made to shut down the tour equipment black market all together. TM is watching for quite some time how their tour stuff, free for player's, is disappearing and mysteriously showing up later on ebay for a lot of money. That's also the reason why clubs like the 500 showed up all over sudden. TM decided probably it's better to cash in themselves before others do. The additional bonus is they have the control over their products back. The best way to put a lid on this "tour issue drug dealing" is to make clubs available.

Yes, their will be always tour stuff for the player's. But with some Tour Equipment like the TP or R7 readily available for the public, I believe people will think again before they fork out twice as much money.

haribo

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:01 am

I see d**k De La Cruz has a new company. Good for him! Always thoght he was a good designer that didn't get enough success.

The Tour version of TM's R7 series has four weight ports two about where the weight port on the R5 series is and two more about where they're located on the Mag Cruzer. The standard R7 has only two weight ports located in about the same places as the Cruzer. Tm's definitely not magnesium, though. That much I'm sure of.

That quote was from MGB who was the first to break the news on the R7 Quad back in Dec. '03. I was looking for his Jan'04 thread titled "Just Saw The R7...pics of it anyway" but it mysteriously disappeared somehow. In this thread, he attended the Adidas Dealers Conference where a TM Rep showed him pics of both a Tour and Retail model R7 Quad. He basically said the same exact thing mentioned in the quote above which was taken from NikeMike's Jan. 30 '04 thread titled, "Someone Has Taken TaylorMade's Thunder." He also mentioned that the Tour R7 Quad looked smaller than the Retail version in the pictures, about the same cc's as an R500. If he's right about a second version of the R7 Quad having two screws located in the rear of the sole, this will give give both the Tour players and the average golfer a solid alternative.

Most of the criticism has come from the R7 Quad being to gimmicky and looking to extreme with the four weight screws. However, the two weight screw version will appeal to those who have grown accustomed to the simple R500 Series weight port located in the rear. Since the R500 series weight ports aren't available to the public unless you have a TM Tour Van contact, the R7 comes with differently weighted screws so that you can configure it according to your desired ball flight and are beneficial to get the head weight up or down after reshafting which almost everyone on this forum will likely do. The heaviest R500 series weight port I've seen is 16g and I'm wondering how heavy TM will go with the R7 Quad screws. All in all, I see the two weight screw R7 Quad as a suped up R510 TP with the addition of 10cc's and the ability to tweak the weight screws in the rear of the sole. Maybe even a suped up smaller cc predessor of the R500 according to MGB. Hope MGB chimes in soon on this topic and I remember in that lost thread he said he was going to the Japan Golf fair with his team and would take a large amount of pictures and report anyhing new on the R7 Quad.

Actually I think the rumor was that the TP (not tour) would have the 4 ports where as the plain retail would have only 2, but the fact that they are now calling it the Quad (quad=4, 4 weights get it?) leads me to think that perhaps they just shelved the duo???

Here is what surprises me... We have only seen one person, well thats even speculative, using the new driver on tour. True this is only the Asian release but I would have expected more on tour testing than what we saw.

I am guessing they did have players test it at thier facility, which then leads me to believe its nothing special... if it were we would see it out there. If Sergio goes and tests this new driver and it turns out to be the best thing ever, do you really think he is going to give it back to them and put his old driver back in the bag. I am willing to bet that if it were any better than what is out thier now TM would need to call the national guard to pry it from his grip.

Or maybe TM is having R&A/USGA problems and that is why we haven't seen it?

Along the lines of ending tour issue... I wonder if this will end the allure of Tour issues being "more solid" since with the weights there is no need for the rat glue that gives the tour heads thier solid feel.

All that I am saying is I hope those people who make thier living off of selling TM tour drivers have a nice 401K going or some sort of retirement plan.

I think the reason we don't see the R7 on tour is because the tour player doesn't really benifit from it. TM tour vans already fully customize thier clubs for them, why switch? The only way I see this making it's way into players hands is with the help of a little TM tee-up $$$$$. But I guess time will tell :wink:

Personally I wouldn't try it, but I believe the market is ready for the concept of a configuratble club. Golfers are much more aware of equipment now, than they were in the past. There has been so much innovation in golf technology that everyone pays attention to the details now. I think the club will do well. I believe by the time the R7 hits the US market it will be a dual face driver, with it's composite shell

Personally I wouldn't try it, but I believe the market is ready for the concept of a configuratble club.  Golfers are much more aware of equipment now, than they were in the past.  There has been so much innovation in golf technology that everyone pays attention to the details now.  I think the club will do well.  I believe by the time the R7 hits the US market it will be a dual face driver, with it's composite shell

I don't really see that most golfers are that concerned with equipment these days... I think each foursome you see has its gear junkie but I think, from what I see, most golfers just use the driver that thier wife bought for them for fathers day, the irons they got when they graduated from college, the wedges thier friend sold to them, and the fairway wood the guy at the pro shop talked them into.

I am willing to bet the a lot of people who buy the R7 will never even touch the weights.

Don't forget we are in the minority here... the internet brings us freaks together but in the real world we are few and far between.

Personally I wouldn't try it, but I believe the market is ready for the concept of a configuratble club.  Golfers are much more aware of equipment now, than they were in the past.  There has been so much innovation in golf technology that everyone pays attention to the details now.  I think the club will do well.  I believe by the time the R7 hits the US market it will be a dual face driver, with it's composite shell

I don't really see that most golfers are that concerned with equipment these days... I think each foursome you see has its gear junkie but I think, from what I see, most golfers just use the driver that thier wife bought for them for fathers day, the irons they got when they graduated from college, the wedges thier friend sold to them, and the fairway wood the guy at the pro shop talked them into.

I am willing to bet the a lot of people who buy the R7 will never even touch the weights.

Don't forget we are in the minority here... the internet brings us freaks together but in the real world we are few and far between.

Who are you calling a freak son . No freaks at this site , we are called golf connoisseurs :lol:

Who are you calling a freak son . No freaks at this site , we are called golf connoisseurs :lol:

whatever...

coming from the current #1 freak to the current #2 freak...

Your a freak... hehehehe

The Four weight version is the TP version. I have no clue, but if there is a two weight version it will probably be just called the R7.

I dont see how this will end the popularity of tour clubs. Being retail clubs these will most likely still have the same closed faces and probably the same loud sound that the 580XD retails have. The Tour Heads will be square faced and more muted.

I disagree with the statement above that says rat glue makes TM tour heads more solid. The 510DF Tour was made at a different Foundry than the 510TP , and they DF Tour heads often have heavier weight ports which make them solid.

Also the Tour R7's will probably have a hotter face than the retail ones. As is true w/ the 510 TP vs. the DF Tour.

I agree 100% with what you just said

I disagree with the statement above that says rat glue makes TM tour heads more solid. The 510DF Tour was made at a different Foundry than the 510TP , and they DF Tour heads often have heavier weight ports which make them solid.  

Are you sure they are made in different facilities... ???

Yes im sure.

Yes im sure.

where are the two different facilities? Why is there a difference? What is your source? Its not that I doubt you, its that I have heard from others that they are made in the same place...

I would love that to come true. I have been around these Equipment forums for far to long, and since the Tour Only ball really started rolling I have very little interest in equipment anymore. I do not know why, but I am so sick of.......the tour issue feels better, sounds better, makes my breakfast etc. I thought the TP driver might help, but some people will always insist on buying something they hope was actually a cast away of a tour player SIGH

Yes im sure.

where are the two different facilities? Why is there a difference? What is your source? Its not that I doubt you, its that I have heard from others that they are made in the same place...

Who have you heard from?

Get over it philly.. stop post whoring .. .have you ever hit a tour club?

Yes im sure.

Who have you heard from?

Be nice here. I heard the same thing as well. From a very reputable source btw. (No need to ask ... I'm not saying from whom.)

haribo

Yes im sure.

Who have you heard from?

I have hit a tour club. a friend of mine plays a lot of tour stuff... but he never does the internet thing... I hit the df and xd... it sure did make a different sound, but alas to me the 983 still took the cake in feel and distance.

anyhow there is no need to get your panties in a bunch I just wanted a little more info so that when this topic comes up again I can be more informed.

I was always told that the tour woods were the first runs... hence why sometimes there are running changes from tour to retail.