I gotta ask... what is with this dolphin slaughter tradition!? It's atrocious!

They're beautiful creatures with big time emotions and feelings! This is awful.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/20/world/asia/japan-dolphin-hunt/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I'm certainly no PETA apologist, but that gets my blood boiling. Ancient-shmancient, I don't give a crap how long you've done it, get with the 21st century and find a better way to do it or don't do it at all.

Other cultures have similar traditions. While some don't like it, it is what it is. Worse goes on in the meat industry but people don't want to hear about that.

Ya I don't like any of it it's just that dolphins are the most intelligent animals and killing for tradition seems worse than killing for food.

That's true.

Traditions be damned when it comes to endangering any species.

Agreed. People worldwide have a big soft spot for dolphins and it doesn't look good on Japan, especially considering how awesome Japanese culture is, in general!

Well, I wouldn't do it...I don't like hurting animals or anything weak or defenseless (only aggressive men which I enjoy hurting a bit too much) but am going to reserve judgement. Animals are not people. I'm not condoning it but not condemning it either...

Agreed. People worldwide have a big soft spot for dolphins and it doesn't look good on Japan, especially considering how awesome Japanese culture is, in general!

Dude there are literally well over 10,000 acts of cruelty that are way more horrible than this committed in every nation, every 6 months...and to human beings no less...

Yes, abusing animals is sick and disturbing but they're eating them and keeping them as pets. With a little perspective I don't think this impugns Japan at all.

To hell with human beings. Human beings aren't innocent like animals.

Slaughtering dolphins for tradition doesn't require a lot of perspective but thanks for the condescension.

Wow, that's wild! Sad but bizarrely fascinating...who would want to hang out in all that blood? At the end of the day though animals are tasty. Would rather see them slaughtered humanely though.

Major d, c'mon bro sure there are lots of humans that are crazy but you're not seriously suggesting that it's a worse crime to abuse an animal than certain humans.... are you?

Equal. All living things

I can respect your point of view major d...you're in good company, but I also think it's unproductive to judge other cultures before spending the time to understand them....