Anyone going big on Alibaba?

I rarely trade individual stocks unless it's a company I love, In this case I do not have any love for Alibaba but it's hard to resist not taking a punt on this.

Anyone else in the same boat? the real risk is with these Chinese plays is that tomorrow jack ma could wake up and decided he wants to get into some other business and next thing the Chinese consumer "pure play" is shot to pieces and so the stock re rates downward violently. IMO these situations are 50/50 and there are not a lot of comparable businesses.

Perhaps it's time to get rid of Yahoo as well, Softbank get's to stay for now but there is an argument that given how poorly yahoo has fared / been run over the past few years that the only reason investors have been holding the stock at all is because of its holding of alibaba. now that investors can hold alibaba directly - why own yahoo?

Eh what the heck, gonna take a bigger than usual punt to see where it goes.

What say you guys?

Not really. In my view Tencent (700.HK) is better positioned in this space. My personal view is that China will have about 5 big internet companies which will consolidate the market: Baidu, Tencent, Alibaba, Kingsoft, Sina (some people say Sohu)... Also keep an eye on the IPO of Xiaomi (this is a potential player in content + hardware ***** should happen sometime next year).

Not really. In my view Tencent (700.HK) is better positioned in this space. My personal view is that China will have about 5 big internet companies which will consolidate the market: Baidu, Tencent, Alibaba, Kingsoft, Sina (some people say Sohu)... Also keep an eye on the IPO of Xiaomi (this is a potential player in content + hardware ***** should happen sometime next year).

Can we hold you to that? =P

ha ha ha ha ha .... what is that disclimer at seekingalpha.com?

Disclaimer: The opinions and any recommendations expressed in that post are solely those of the author. None of the information or opinions expressed in that post constitutes a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security or other instrument. Nothing in that post constitutes investment advice and any recommendations that may be contained herein have not been based upon a consideration of the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific recipient. Any purchase or sale activity in any securities or other instrument should be based upon your own analysis and conclusions. Past performance is not indicative of future results. Mr. mauvanilla may hold or control long or short positions in the securities or instruments mentioned.

But going back to the topic, a nice article on the IPO and on Alibaba businesses:

http://qz.com/206283/all-the-western-companies-youd-have-to-combine-to-get-something-like-alibaba/

ha ha ha ha ha .... what is that disclimer at seekingalpha.com?

Disclaimer: The opinions and any recommendations expressed in that post are solely those of the author. None of the information or opinions expressed in that post constitutes a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security or other instrument. Nothing in that post constitutes investment advice and any recommendations that may be contained herein have not been based upon a consideration of the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific recipient. Any purchase or sale activity in any securities or other instrument should be based upon your own analysis and conclusions. Past performance is not indicative of future results. Mr. mauvanilla may hold or control long or short positions in the securities or instruments mentioned.

But going back to the topic, a nice article on the IPO and on Alibaba businesses:

http://qz.com/206283/all-the-western-companies-youd-have-to-combine-to-get-something-like-alibaba/

Excellent Article, I'm going pretty heavy (for me) fingers crossed, did very well with FB so let's see how this goes :)

Well done C.! Impressive debut...

Well done C.! Impressive debut...

I don't know, I got in half at 92 and the other half at 90 today, but I have a feeling monday comes and it will slide but oh well I'm in it for 6-24 months or at least I plan to be.

• 5 months later...

Ouch...Alibaba is killing me !!!!

Chris, i think youll actually be ok on BABA on a 6-12mos time horizon and ive actually started to add to my position as of yesterday. i got pretty lucky and sold 60% at 119 and then sold calls at 90. but at the 75-80 lvls its a good entry/re-entry point. i dont expect 120 again but 100 pretty comfortably.

yep yep....ive added to my position yesterday ! unfortunately i have no profits to report.......besides my holdings in oil drillers and biotech and some banks and precious metals and the rest is in BABA....hmmmmm i don't have any profits to show at all, just a bunch of good tax write-offs

Chris, i think youll actually be ok on BABA on a 6-12mos time horizon and ive actually started to add to my position as of yesterday. i got pretty lucky and sold 60% at 119 and then sold calls at 90. but at the 75-80 lvls its a good entry/re-entry point. i dont expect 120 again but 100 pretty comfortably.

I have faith! I believe in 10 years it will be over 200! At least!

Thats a long time to wait to double your money !!!