Back to blades..

Vegaman

I had more or less decided I wouldn't use blades anymore, at least not a full set. This since I haven't had much time to play this year, and feel like my game has taken a turn for the worse. The last 2 months I have however, been able to hit the gym more regularly, sp feel I'm pretty strong at the moment.

So I took out 2 sets of irons for two seperate range sessions, Legacy Blacks (stenson) and my old Raf Vega blades, the classic looking Kyoei set.

And for 2 straight sessions I hit the blades better, including the 4-iron. This even though I was half expecting the Legacy Blacks to be much easier..Shaft length was identical too, but the blades just performed much better. Oddly the face marks also showed I hit the blades much more out of the middle than the CBs..Was almost irritating

Where's the like button..

Been loving the srixon z745s & my flatbacks with same shafts are resting. Then decided to take it out on a dry midday round & the 4iron also surprised me. I need to shaft the 3i.

Same thought here, I have the 3-iron Vega head at home too..

I've had the same mindset a few times and I can't say that I've ever seen my game improve when going to CBs. Now I play them when I want to but I believe I'll always hit MBs better, or at least as good as, anything else.

I've had the same mindset a few times and I can't say that I've ever seen my game improve when going to CBs. Now I play them when I want to but I believe I'll always hit MBs better, or at least as good as, anything else.

I can very much relate. I have doubted myself into gaming CBs several times, often after having had a bad round with the blades..A bit of needling from my buddies also play a part.

I have gone back and forth between blades and cb's for decades. Up until now, blades were clearly a problem. My swing wasn't good enough. But finally great lessons have me in better shape, swing-wise. I put some Recoils in a set old (nos) Macgregor 1025M blades and wow I have never loved a set of irons this much before.

I think I am going to sell both sets of cb's (Miura Giken cb-2007 & Yamaha Tour cb) and just play blades. It's like a whole new realm opened up.

Blades almost all the way... 5-P no brainer... I have started playing 3&4 irons as MC or CB just because the bad shots are not as penalized. I frequently play my long irons off the tee on several holes on my home course, with a couple being forced carries. The CB or MC, while not hitting better than my MB, are not as punished distance wise on the occasional thinned stroke. Not as concerned with pinpoint accuracy on those shots so the trade-off is worth it.

Overall I do agree with the sentiment that you won't hit one more middled than the other if they are built right, it is just the punishment when you don't that drives people to the CBs...

Same for me! After multiple CB set's, I recently put some z945's into play and not looking back!