JDM Fairway Woods

Norboo

2 hours ago, donnieu said:

Been struggling to find the right 5W last 2 years.   18/19 degree launch too high usually.  Went to a couple of 17 degree last year (Proceed and Yamaha).  Picked up a 2013 Egg 5W this year, which is 18 degree but rumored to be very long.   Has been a bit erratic so far.  Had a 16 degree 3W sitting on the shelf for a couple of years, a SYB W422V.  Figured I would put a short stiff shaft on it, ease off the swing speed a bit, shorten the swing slightly, and try it as a 5W replacement.  Working quite well so far.  Square face, large 202cc, but shallow enough face not to be a problem.

the only 5w I have is an OnOff '17 Kuro 18* wood. I like it even though I don't typically use a 5w, the face is nice and rounded off at the bottom which makes it a piece of cake to scoop the ball off the fairway or a tight lie. it's not the most shallow faced 5w in the world either, which is typically the opposite of what I like especially for a compact wood that I'll be hitting off the deck, but the face has a nice clever shape that appeals to my eye anyway. I find it to be a very easy 5w to hit

Consider higher launching shafts for deeper faced woods.

For me I value straightness and consistency for my FW.  I could care less about distance if it means my #3 gets me in trouble.