How can you be sure y cutters are y cutters

radd

Im looking into buying tm y cutters however when ive been sent pics of wedges for sale they look identical to my current tm black. Ive been told there are 2 dots on hosel but could someone easily just sell a retail as a y cutter without showing dots on hosel.

I am not sure about TM Y Cutter wedges but the scenario you are speaking of happens. Fake Tour R7, Fake Camerons, the list goes on and on. The only advice I can offer you is know your seller and know that anything you buy online comes with risk. Good luck with your purchase.

As I understand it, there are two different y groove wedges, one has two small pin pricks on the hosel to signafy "y" grooves, and the other is the stamping of the letter "y" on the face side of wedges in the upper toe outside the grooves. All of the rest are either box, " square grooves" or the "U" grooves, some are retail, some Japan retail and some are tour wedges. All "y" grooves are tour as far as I know. Just because a wedge is tour, doesn't mean it has "y" grooves.

From my understanding of these wedge grooves, no one can tell by the naked eye, which groove is which.

I own a Japan retail yellow flag 54.12, which I understand to be Miura forged.

I also own a Japan red flag 48.06, which I understand to be Miura forged, tour only. As it was explained to me, red flag signafies retail, but 48.06 was only made for the tour.

I admit my knowledge is rather limited and vague, but it's all I have. :smile2:

Everything mentioned above is true, but there is one more way to tell Y-Cutter or TM Tour wedge from retail. The retail Black, Oil Quench, Chrome have 16 grooves and the Tour ones, at least the Y-Cutters I had, have 15 grooves. Since the grooves are wider and deeper on the Tour wedges, they only have room for 15.

Everything mentioned above is true, but there is one more way to tell Y-Cutter or TM Tour wedge from retail. The retail Black, Oil Quench, Chrome have 16 grooves and the Tour ones, at least the Y-Cutters I had, have 15 grooves. Since the grooves are wider and deeper on the Tour wedges, they only have room for 15.

Never realized that before-THANKS!

Im not sure how detailed the pics are but up close the y grooves are pretty obvious if they are still sharp.

I cannot tell by simply looking at the grooves on the oil quenched Fe2O3. The 2 dots are the only indicator. I am amazed that people claim to be able to differentiate the 2. I must need glasses. The best guarantee is the y stamp on the face. Of course somebody with a little know how could counterfeit that as well. Let's hope it never gets to that point.

By FAR the easiest one to fake would be the Fe2o3 oil quenched or for that matter a 304 stainless without the y stamp. Just a matter of 2 little dots drilled on the hosel and obviously there are tons of retail OC Fe2O3 available because the oil quenched just never took off. Nobody used the OC on tour either which is why you saw them being dumped in huge quantity on ebay earlier this year.

There certainly are plenty of genuine tour oc Fe2O3 availabe. Just another case where you need to trust the seller 100%. If your buying a 304ss, the worst case scenario is that it is not a y groove but at least it still has tour box grooves.

Never realized that before-THANKS!

That's a great observation! I also agree with knowing your seller. I'm skeptical of the 2 dot Y cutters, I'd rather buy the Y stamped on the toe wedges to be certain. BTW did you know that there are some Tour Black Y cutters with "Black" stamped on them not the Fe203... :wink: Black ones are stainless steel not carbon...JFYI :whistle:

mgc

quote]

That's a great observation! I also agree with knowing your seller. I'm skeptical of the 2 dot Y cutters, I'd rather buy the Y stamped on the toe wedges to be certain. BTW did you know that there are some Tour Black Y cutters with "Black" stamped on them not the Fe203... :wink: Black ones are stainless steel not carbon...JFYI :whistle:

mgc

Yep I have seen those ss BLACK y cutters. Very nice

Here is what I got from TM wedge department direct:

"Mr Vargas,

I sent your email to our product manager for wedges, here is his response:

The Y Cutter wedges were identified by two ways. Originally we used a double dot system on the back of the hosel. Currently we have been using the "y" engraved on the toe area of the face. Sounds like your guy has two sets of Y cutters. The number of grooves on the face has nothing to do with identification.

Hope this helps!"

Good info,

what I find strange is that if the two dot hosel was the original way and the Y is the new way, why is there so many more two dots floating around than Y's??

Sounds like some big hitting guys has been centerpunching hosels in his garage to me :smile1:

Would you buy a Rolex if the only authenticity guide was a couple of centre punched dots??

I'd get the grooves under a magnifying glass... I've yet to see a picture of the close up differences of the two types of grooves, all we've got is the testimony of a bunch of sychophantic Koolaiders!

Good info,

what I find strange is that if the two dot hosel was the original way and the Y is the new way, why is there so many more two dots floating around than Y's??

Sounds like some big hitting guys has been centerpunching hosels in his garage to me :smile1:

That is the funniest thing I have read in quite some time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just recieved a 56 and 60 oil quench two dot y cutter wedge set from a well known peron......they both have 15 grooves.....also stated that there had been a band of them with 16 grooves flyin around everywhere and they are definately fakes.......take it as u want it but true oil quenched two dot y cutters have 15 grooves i dont care who says what this is a fact from a well known TM person......thats my 2 cents 15 grooves or they are not real

maybe ive seen a few cheap. ill be pretty pissed if i buy one or two get it shipped to uk pay customs tax then in feburary they bring out a retail y cutter

I'm a little hesitant right now. With this talk about retail y-cutters. I think I'll wait and see what happens. I can't play for another 4 months anyway.