y cutters please explain the different types

radd

I believe that there are only two way's to tell that wedges are Y-cutters:

1) there are two dots on the hosel; this is most evident in the oil can models........

2) there is a little " Y " stamped in the top left corner (top toe) area; this is evident on the black fe2o3 models....

unless it has one of the two markings mentioned above, it is eaither a retail, or better yet a tour BOX groove.......

the 15 and 16 igroove # s probably a variation between the Y grovves and the tour box grooves.......

hope this helps

cheers, Mat

• 2 weeks later...

apprantly :

And for your question as to what they are, they are the rac wedges with a more agressive groove. The grooves are shaped more in a y shape than a u shape.

Somehting like this:

/

l_l

The y groove is meant to spin the ball more. It especially helps from the rough and from around the green.

Mmmm, here in the UK there is a PCS certified clubmaker who runs a regular article in one of the golf mags here in the UK. Her credentials say that she is the top qualified maker in the UK and has been the European club maker of the year at least once.

Anyway, her recent article proclaimed that the grooves in a wedge have no ability to impart any spin on a ball instead it is the material in between the grooves that imparts spin.

So, if this hypothosis is true then any wedge that had a grooveless face would theoretically impart more spin as the surface area isn't broken apart by grooves?!?

If this is in anyway true then the hype about any grooves becomes completely meaningless and once again we're prone to marketing guff.

a groove is ment to be a way for the club to get rid of dirt and grass so that the club is incontact with the ball so no flyier. However this would mean aggressive grooves dont work.However we have all hit wegdes that have left bits of the cover in the grooves so we no that the ball diggs into the grooves so more friction. the metal between the grooves adds to the spin hence milled faces spin more. I think spin is more to do with the joining between face and groove the edge. if you have a v groove the edge is angled more than a u so hence a u imparting more spin.a y is a u groove with a deeper channel dont know how this really adds more spin on fairway and chips but it does. The y cutter is meant to help in the rough alot i believe this is because there is more room in the froove for the grass to be channelled.Hope this helps

Y cutters are TODDS salary they are a joke i dont care what anyone says i apologize but its time for me to vent.....i have had them all and still have retail wedges that spin as much.....who wants to back a ball up 30 ft from the pin instead of a tap in??? if u cant spin the hell out of it then u cant the y cutter is a TODD/BSG hype that is a total JOKE in my opinion.....Todd cant even break 80 so those of you who fall in his traps i feel sorry for....this guy is the worst golfer in the world who everyone believes on his site is a guy who can fly Tiger and Vijay by a million yards off the tee and who has won the Grand Slam 50 times in a row.......believe whatever u want i have gotten screwed up stuff from him that was junk and he is a TOTAL joke.....wish i could meet him in person.....see how much of a BIGHITTER he was.......honestly the original square groove pings or tour vokeys or cleveland for the price u will never ever beat in performance i promise u.....y pay 250 for a wedge head alone when u can get a good set of matching clevelands for the price of one dumb y cutter and have a better set of wedges????????/

my 2 cents and im off my stool and appologize who this might offend but i am tired of Todd ruling the GOLF world thinkin he is MR Know it all.......the Y Cutter subject just set me off ........

:-) TODD............. :smile2:

Y cutters are TODDS salary they are a joke i dont care what anyone says i apologize but its time for me to vent.....i have had them all and still have retail wedges that spin as much.....who wants to back a ball up 30 ft from the pin instead of a tap in??? if u cant spin the hell out of it then u cant the y cutter is a TODD/BSG hype that is a total JOKE in my opinion.....Todd cant even break 80 so those of you who fall in his traps i feel sorry for....this guy is the worst golfer in the world who everyone believes on his site is a guy who can fly Tiger and Vijay by a million yards off the tee and who has won the Grand Slam 50 times in a row.......believe whatever u want i have gotten screwed up stuff from him that was junk and he is a TOTAL joke.....wish i could meet him in person.....see how much of a BIGHITTER he was.......honestly the original square groove pings or tour vokeys or cleveland for the price u will never ever beat in performance i promise u.....y pay 250 for a wedge head alone when u can get a good set of matching clevelands for the price of one dumb y cutter and have a better set of wedges????????/

my 2 cents and im off my stool and appologize who this might offend but i am tired of Todd ruling the GOLF world thinkin he is MR Know it all.......the Y Cutter subject just set me off ........

:-) TODD............. :smile2:

All Todd bashing aside, I would offer another opinion on the y-cutters. Not that I am any authority but I did run a pretty extensive and fair as possible test on the racs. The Y-grooves do impart quite a bit more spin than retail. If you want a super high spin wedge then it might be worth the investment. If I was a TM wedge fan I would opt for the y groove at least on my LW. The BLACK stainless y cutters are very nice. I have played Clevelands and Vokeys for a long time and but if I was a RAC fan I would take a hard look a them.

What you have just said is very important. They do spin more. Not as much as some people say but they do spin more. Some times i wonder why todd can get all this stuff then i realise i dont care as long as every1 who gets his stuff is happy then great.

Ive just bought a 48 52 54 56 stainless with box grooves. Not cause they spin more but because tehy look so sweet and will match my 60 stainless y cutter

It's a real shame that there is so much negativity around the boards re Todd and BSG. Big waste of time.

Hey if you don't like the guy then don't buy from him but don't blast a perfectly good product by association.

I'm telling you the y cutters are really effective, especially on partial shots and the little shots around the green. And that statement begrudgingly comes from a guy who does not particularly like TM rac wedges.