Black Oxide finish on Raw tour wedges

joey3108

The Caswell products work well. You dilute the blackening solution with distilled water to make a gallon. They tell you to heat the piece prior to dipping. I then use OO steel wool in between dips and reheat. Works better than gun blueing kits. After dipping let the piece dry and use gun oil to seal.

My only problem comes with paintfill. I believe its is bets to paintfill prior to dipping then use a small nail or ot get the black out of the paintfill.

Thank you!

More questions - how you heat the solution?

What clubs can you use this technique with? - I presume any raw finish? - or do you have to do somethign before doing this?

Finnally - I have soem Chrome nikes - what can I do with these? if I recall right you need some really toxiz stuff to strip them? - presume thats not diy?

-Wouldl ove to get nikes finishedi n a black and fill the tick in white - would look soooooooooooo good!

The stuff I bought from Caswell does not require to be heated. I just heat the head that I am dipping.

I never striped chrome but hear you could use sulfuric acid - buy it at any hardware store.

A better option would be to find someone that dows chrome work locally an have them strip the chrome.

AKFLY,

I see Caswell has a new product for stainless steel called Stainless Steel Blackener 370 which requires no heating, just blackener and sealer. Do you have any experience with this?

I believe I just bought the standard black oxide that produces 1 gallon. It was over a year ago.