Swingweight Question: Ungripped 3-wood

DUBBED

Okay so I have a Nike T60, raw swingweight at E7 which I really like. However I have decide I do not like the head and I'm picking up an Adams LP Tour.

My question is if I were to switch from the 96g V2, to a 126g Project X; how much would I need the head to weigh in order to achieve the same raw swingweight of E7?

The Nike is 43", HW is 220g, Shaft is 96g, RSW is E7.

I'd probably want the Adams at 42.5 as well.

If someone could provide me with even the formula so I do not need to make more threads like this in the future that would be superb!! TIA!!! :tsg_smilie_cool:

DUBBED

Edited by DUBBED

Okay so I have a Nike T60, raw swingweight at E7 which I really like. However I have decide I do not like the head and I'm picking up an Adams LP Tour.

My question is if I were to switch from the 96g V2, to a 126g Project X; how much would I need the head to weigh in order to achieve the same raw swingweight of E7?

The Nike is 43", HW is 220g, Shaft is 96g, RSW is E7.

I'd probably want the Adams at 42.5 as well.

If someone could provide me with even the formula so I do not need to make more threads like this in the future that would be superb!! TIA!!! :tsg_smilie_cool:

DUBBED

All of the following, +/-, equal 1 swingweight point:

2g head weight

9g shaft weight

4g grip weight

For example, +2g headweight = +1 SW, -4g gripweight = +1 SW

Length also affects swingweight:

.25" = 1.5 swingweight points

You also have to take the shaft's balance point into account. A 126g Project X, might produce the same swingweight as a 96g V2 due to the balance point of the shaft.

• 2 months later...

If you go here http://www.swingweightestimator.com/, they have a nice little web applet at the bottom of the page. Everything I've built has come in pretty close (+- 1SW) to it's estimate.

For instance, I've entered your data (assuming V2 is 96g at 48" - too lazy to look it up right now), and with a 0g grip I get an estimate of E8. Changing to a 42.5" length with a 126g shaft (uncut length of 46"? never looked at specs for steel wood shaft before), I get a SW of E7 with a 0g grip and a 217 gr head.

• 4 weeks later...

If you've already decided on your components, I don't see much point in guessing. We can sit here and do the calculations to get a very rough estimate, but there isn't any substitute for getting out the scale, the saw, the tungsten, and the rubber and actually doing the work. As always, play it safe...a good clubmaker should have that club fitted and swing weighted for you in half an hour, save for unforseen problems with the head/shaft/etc....