Swing Weight

asianplow

I was curious what people opinions were on swing weight. What I want to find out is if I have a driver that has a swing weight that's D3 - D4, what would happen if I dropped it down to D0? I know it's a lot about preference, but what does a lower swing weight vs. a higher swing weight promote? Also, if I wanted to lower the swing weight, how would I do that? Some have said to put lead tape under the grip to do that. Are there other ways without changing the setup? Just curious to see what people's thought on this was. Thanks TSG!

Heavy swing weights allow you to feel the head a little more which helps some people with tempo and timing. Swing weight can be reduced any number of ways w/o messing with your fundmental set up (tape under grip, counter balances in the butt of the shaft, etc.). INCREASING swing weight w/o messing with your setup is another issue entirely.

However, as I've said before, IMO people get way too hung up with swing weight. Use the club that feels best and that performs well, don’t look for a swing weight. SW is a static measurement relating to feel (determined by the ratio of weight concentrated in the grip and weight in the head). It’s a static measurement, NOT an empirical statement of a clubs performance characteristics such as flex or torque. I can go down to my basement right now and make a fence pole D4 or C2 or whatever. Who cares?

I’m not saying it’s not important, I’m merely reminding you that the real question is what club feels the best to swing and delivers the best results. For the same player, that might be a blade a D6 or a players cavity at C9. I've seen guys go to great lengths to get clubs dialed in at some exact swing weight only to duck hook those right into the trees as well.

Focus first on getting your lie, length, and lofts right.

My .02. Hope this helps. :tsg_smilie_cool:

The big question is why do you want to decrease swing weight? In my opinion it is harder to control the club with reduced swing weight. A D0 driver will feel very light. Most people find it very hard to be accurate at reduced swing weights, that's why most low handicap players lean towards heavy swing weights to increase your ability to feel and create tempo. Just a thought...

The big question is why do you want to decrease swing weight? In my opinion it is harder to control the club with reduced swing weight. A D0 driver will feel very light. Most people find it very hard to be accurate at reduced swing weights, that's why most low handicap players lean towards heavy swing weights to increase your ability to feel and create tempo. Just a thought...

The reason I want to mess around with swing weight, is I just want to know how it effects things. I've spent the last couple of years messing with different shaft combo, and finally felt I found what I prefer. Swing weight is something I've never really looked at, always used what was off the rack, and never gave it a second thought. I want to see how a light swing weight feels like, and then raise the swing weight and see what that does. That's all. You see tour players, and amatuers, that say there clubs are at this swing weight. Those people must of experimented a little at least to be able to say they like a specific swing weight, especially tour players. Either way, I appreciate the feedback.

I usually suggest a heavier swing weight to slow down an aggressive tempo. IMO players with a quick a violent tempo benefit from a heavier weight gaining accuracy and a more consistent result. Players with a smooth tempo usually do pretty well with clubs off the rack, in some cases it can actually increase distance because they can man handle the club a bit more when its light.

I have tried the same club and shaft with different swing weights on many occasions. For my personal swing the result with D0 was much more erratic and inconsistent than what I currently play now which is D3.

• 1 month later...

One other thing that needs to be thrown into the mix is the consistency of swing weights throughout a set. Many people are playing clubs off the rack that may have 8 different swing weights. I recently had a set of irons that the PW was D5 and the 3 iron D6. We may not all notice the difference of a swing weight, but we should be playing clubs that are consistent in my opinion.

• 9 months later...

I find that the lighter swingweight allows me to manipulate the club easier through impact, which for me isn't a good thing. I went from D1->D4 and can feel the clubhead and path I'm taking much better, and after working this for awhile I'm hitting straighter and longer. I realized this when I bought the heavy practice driver - every shot went dead left because I had no ability to manipulate the face. Getting that straightened out forced a major path change, and now the higher swingweight allows me to feel right/wrong.

• 2 months later...

Suppose that there are two people, one 5'4" in height, 60 kgs, smooth swing tempo, and the other 5'10" in height, 70 kgs, fast swing tempo. Shorty wants distance, Tally wants control. Shorty carries a 5-iron 150 yards, while Tally carries it a wieldy 200 yards. Both are using similar off-the-rack irons (for men). Both have sound swings, and want improvement in their respective games.

Assume that in the first scenario you have two women. Assume that in the second you have two men. What would you recommend? What's available out there today?

This is not a trick question. Thanks. :tsg_smilie_laugh: