Soft Stepping Black Gold X-100

18birdies

Hey Everyone,

I have a set of Black Gold X-100s that I know are too stiff for me. I've played them installed per norm (3 iron shaft in the 3 iron) and they were a little too much, especially in 6 and longer irons.

I currently have Rifle PX 6.0 and they feel pretty good, sometimes a hair loose, but otherwise OK.

I am considering "soft stepping" these X-100s 2 clubs, meaning I'd put the 4 iron shaft in the 6 iron. I am doing this on kind of a whim, and can always put the PX back in if I don't like X-100s "soft stepped."

What can I expect from soft stepping 2 clubs? Will it make a difference, or am I going to be re-gluing my PXs in 3 days?

Any insight/personal experience would be appreciated.

-JT

• 4 weeks later...

-------2 clubs will make a differnce... 1 THING tough--- the black golds are heavier than the PX's.. might be one big reason your not hititng them well or having trouble hitting the long irons.. just a thought--

i play the PX 5.5's... :atsg_smilie_bomb1:

Hey Everyone,

I have a set of Black Gold X-100s that I know are too stiff for me. I've played them installed per norm (3 iron shaft in the 3 iron) and they were a little too much, especially in 6 and longer irons.

I currently have Rifle PX 6.0 and they feel pretty good, sometimes a hair loose, but otherwise OK.

I am considering "soft stepping" these X-100s 2 clubs, meaning I'd put the 4 iron shaft in the 6 iron. I am doing this on kind of a whim, and can always put the PX back in if I don't like X-100s "soft stepped."

What can I expect from soft stepping 2 clubs? Will it make a difference, or am I going to be re-gluing my PXs in 3 days?

-JT

Soft step twice aproximately will have 1/2 flex softer.

However if you said PX 6.0 is a hair to soft, you might want to consider just soft step once.

Joe

Hey Everyone,

-JT

I spent some time recently building some test clubs on Black Gold for a strong-swinging customer - one on Stiff and one on X. I found that each 1/2" of tipping tightened the shaft by almost 4cpm, given the same length and swingweight. I wanted to acheive one 5.7 8i and one at 6.3. those numbers were reached with 3.5" of tipping (dead on-spec for an 8i) on the Stiff, and 2 5/16" on the X - that's more than two soft-steps. Both clubs are 36.5"/D3. I'm struggling through an injury at the moment, so my swing is really not much good as a guide right now, but i found the X to be very taut, but easy to hit straight. The Stiff played much better for me. My regular clubs are on soft-stepped PX 5.5, which not surprisingly I preferred to the BG, given my current swing. I'll ask the player to post once he's tried them out.

• 1 month later...