Wedge shafts?

drew030303

I've always played a wedge flex or regular flex in my wedges (52, 54 and 58*). I've played stock wedges (Titleist, Cleveland etc...) and shafts until I found TSG. Currently I own a pair of Scratch wedges along with some Epon X models. My understanding is that a regular flex is recommended. I don't know if that's true but it seems most golfers and pros use a wedge flex. What is the correct flex? Will a stiffer flex in a 52,54,58* limit performance, feel, etc... on short, mid, and full shots? Will a stiffer flex tighten up your full shots? Just curious. thx

I've never seen or had a wedge with a reg. flex. Always been Stiff or wedge flex.

I would think it would come back down to your swing speed or stay consistant with the rest of your clubs.

IMHO

Edited by idrive

I think tour players prefer heavier shafts in their wedges. I know Luke Donald uses S400's in his wedges. I'm not sure about what is better though.

A couple months back I bought a WRX Mizuno wedge (ported), and the shaft is not very stiff. Guess what? It is my most inaccurate wedge. I don't feel as comfortable over the ball with this wedge compared to my other wedges. I'm going to change them all to S400's in the future. Just my .02

I agree that much like putting, shafts in the wedges are very personal. When I used to use X100's, I had those in the wedges as well. In fact I use to prefer that. I just felt like I could control the head. It didn't affect any shot that I would play.

After switching to the NS1150's, I went x-stiff in all the irons, including PW, but I went stiff in the wedges. I wanted to try it out and I had been working on making a more controlled move with the wedge shots. To go along with that I wanted a little softer shaft since I wasn't making violent, so to speak, moves at the ball. With the wedge I just want to turn and turn as smoothly as I can. I think going down a flex allows me to do that. I've found its not necessary to go aggressive on a wedge, in fact I think it can be counterproductive. There's so much loft on a wedge (sand,lob) that with too aggressive a swing, the ball just rides up the clubface and you end up losing distance. And with the wedges, distance, controlling that is, is what its all about.

Most tour players want S400's in their wedges, even on the Japan tour.

My personal best results come from heavier and stiff wedge shafts to improve accuracy but I play a graphite X flex shaft in one of my wedges and that has improved in distance control and feel for small chip shots from the fringe.