Best 3 wood for what I need (Japanese Brands Only)

PGAPro

what is the brand of choice for what I have described?

Epon, Fourteen, Tourstage??? I can't hit anything with a really narrow face very well, I currently play a 14 degree Sonartec 03 model, but the trajectory isn't high enough for my liking, I want one with a little deeper face and low center of gravity? Do any of you Japanese club experts have a suggestion?

thanks for your help

Edited by PGAPro

I have 2 sonartec 03 with Tour Platform, a 14 and a 16 and both play slightly higher than my new Fourteen 15 degree 3 wood which has a slightly deeper face. It is my understanding that a deeper face would promote a lower flight rather than higher. At the same time, the flight, besides a function of CG, would largely be a function of the profile of the shaft used. Then again, I am not expert in club design or function but most JDM fairway woods would not have deep face as a way to promote higher launch.

The G-Field GFT with a Graphite Design AD Tour shaft should be perfect for you, I had a 4 wood with a AD Tour I 65 stiff shaft in it, unfortunately it was stolen last week along with a set of Tourstage X Bade CB's and various other stuff. I really would like my GFT back, it was a superb fairway wood!

G-field Fairway Woods are some of the easiest to hit. It's the FW that's in my bag now. I've never had as much success with any other FW. Gets the ball up well too. Another easy FW to hit is the PRGR M3 Hit.

@ranghips7: Whattt!!! I can't believe your clubs were stolen?? How did that happen? On a course or at the range? Are JDM clubs common in your area? Maybe they can get tracked down? That's just totally horrible... sorry to hear that.

G-field Fairway Woods are some of the easiest to hit. It's the FW that's in my bag now. I've never had as much success with any other FW. Gets the ball up well too. Another easy FW to hit is the PRGR M3 Hit.

@ranghips7: Whattt!!! I can't believe your clubs were stolen?? How did that happen? On a course or at the range? Are JDM clubs common in your area? Maybe they can get tracked down? That's just totally horrible... sorry to hear that.

The clubs were securely locked in the boot of a car at my girlfriends golf club, an exclusive, members only club! The thieves targeted 3 cars, smashing window glass to gain entry, then stole a car to get away in, smashing through the car park security barrier. JDM clubs are very rare in my area, Sheffield, England, all the clubs apart from the GFT had been made for us by adt69 (Allan Taylor), Driver was a Snake Eyes Titanium Composite 420cc with Mamiya Axiv V 6066, GFT 4 wood with AD Tour I 65, 5 to PW Tourstage X-Blade CB's with Nippon NS Pro 950 GH Weight Flows, Tourstage X Blade 58* wedge with NS Pro 950 GH WF, Cobra Utility 22*, SeeMore Black Blade putter, Ping discovery stand bag, plus a couple of spare drivers which were also in the boot of the car. Most of these clubs are pretty unique as they were custom made, if anyone in the UK is offered them please PM me with details, I just want them back!!!!!!!

Epon, Fourteen, Tourstage??? I can't hit anything with a really narrow face very well, I currently play a 14 degree Sonartec 03 model, but the trajectory isn't high enough for my liking, I want one with a little deeper face and low center of gravity? Do any of you Japanese club experts have a suggestion?

thanks for your help

The Tourstage x-st would be perfect for you.

The clubs were securely locked in the boot of a car at my girlfriends golf club, an exclusive, members only club! The thieves targeted 3 cars, smashing window glass to gain entry, then stole a car to get away in, smashing through the car park security barrier. JDM clubs are very rare in my area, Sheffield, England, all the clubs apart from the GFT had been made for us by adt69 (Allan Taylor), Driver was a Snake Eyes Titanium Composite 420cc with Mamiya Axiv V 6066, GFT 4 wood with AD Tour I 65, 5 to PW Tourstage X-Blade CB's with Nippon NS Pro 950 GH Weight Flows, Tourstage X Blade 58* wedge with NS Pro 950 GH WF, Cobra Utility 22*, SeeMore Black Blade putter, Ping discovery stand bag, plus a couple of spare drivers which were also in the boot of the car. Most of these clubs are pretty unique as they were custom made, if anyone in the UK is offered them please PM me with details, I just want them back!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about that, and I'm sure we're all hoping that your clubs will find their way back to you!

The G-Field is a fine club however, I think it might be a little on the low side as far as face heighth. The new '07 Epon has a nice mid-high face which I like but I wouldn't say it hits it high. More on the low side.

I'm thinking two which have been mentioned the PRGR M3 and TourStage X-ST. The PRGR has a high face but with tungsten weights to promote a lower center of gravity giving a higher flight. Your current Sonartec SS03 was originally designed for low, boring trajectory. I used to have a few of those myself. Most of the deep faced fairways are that way so try to look for the ones with weighting promoting that lower center of gravity for higher shots. PM Chris for his thoughts.

Good luck to you.

I just had my Fourteen 3 wood reshafted with a old Fuji SIX driver shaft in S. Due to lightness of the Six, I had to leave the length at half inch longer than standard now at 43.5 inch playing at 255 cpm. Wow this thing just rocks now with a mid launch and long. The stock Fourteen R was not bad but just too soft for me and now this combo just go straight and long.

I have forgotten how good the Fuji SIX was and I am glad I renew the acquaintance.

Edited by Duffer19

Hey Rangship, I'm sorry for your loss of JDM gear :tsg_smilie_yuk:

Did your car also got stolen - I guess it must have been an expensive one, since the thieves sought out the 3 most expensive looking cars in the car park...ouchhhh.....I hate it when this happens to someone :tsg_smilie_mad:

What about the Epon Technity? For those of you who have hit it, any feedback?

hey everyone, im the guy that bought the epon 3wd on ebay. i just reshafted it with a matrix ozix code-6 43" 269 cfm. Now keep in mind this shaft has a firm tip with mid launch and it does exactly that but does it well and consistantly. I love the head it feels soild but maybe a bit light for some (not sure the gram weight of the head). It has a distinct sound at impact...good sounding though. if you have other questions feel free to ask and i will try to answer them.

hey everyone, im the guy that bought the epon 3wd on ebay. i just reshafted it with a matrix ozix code-6 43" 269 cfm. Now keep in mind this shaft has a firm tip with mid launch and it does exactly that but does it well and consistantly. I love the head it feels soild but maybe a bit light for some (not sure the gram weight of the head). It has a distinct sound at impact...good sounding though. if you have other questions feel free to ask and i will try to answer them.

Did you buy the Epon Technity with the Mach Line on Ebay? You can write a review too down in the review section if you'd like. (^_^)

Blader-X already has one review down there as well if people want to read up on the new Technity 3 wood... he also has it compared to the G-Field. Beatutiful looking head...

DSC_0018.jpg

thanks for your help

Mind if I ask why Japanese only?

I mean if you're looking for a great fairway, why not consider Tour Edge Exotics as well (not the CB2). I know this is made in the US, but it trully a great club.

I mean if you're looking for a great fairway, why not consider Tour Edge Exotics as well (not the CB2). I know this is made in the US, but it trully a great club.

This is a forum for lovers of JDM gear, that's probably why :tsg_smilie_yuk:

Tour Edge Exotic might be from USA, but it is produced in China, and in here China is a NO NO land when it comes to producing high quality golf gear - JAPAN RULEZZZZ :tsg_smilie_mad:

the reason I say "Japanese only" is because as you can see from my username, I am a golf professional, I have complete access to anything tour or retail that is made from a major OEM, I also have access to anything the guys on the tour are playing because of the people I have met over the years, what I don't have access to is what Chris and the guys get here at TourSpecGolf, I don't know anyone who can get the clubs this guy has and can get, so I'm glad I found this forum, my plan is to purchase some things from here that I can't get here in the states so that is why I say "Japanese only", I hope that helps explain my thinking here

the reason I say "Japanese only" is because as you can see from my username, I am a golf professional, I have complete access to anything tour or retail that is made from a major OEM, I also have access to anything the guys on the tour are playing because of the people I have met over the years, what I don't have access to is what Chris and the guys get here at TourSpecGolf, I don't know anyone who can get the clubs this guy has and can get, so I'm glad I found this forum, my plan is to purchase some things from here that I can't get here in the states so that is why I say "Japanese only", I hope that helps explain my thinking here

That makes complete sense, thanks for explaining.

Claus, so the Titleist, TM, etc in your profile is no good then? I am relatively new to golf and even newer to JDM, but I can tell you that you shouldn't assume that everything coming from China is of poor quality.

This is a forum for lovers of JDM gear, that's probably why :tsg_smilie_yuk:

Tour Edge Exotic might be from USA, but it is produced in China, and in here China is a NO NO land when it comes to producing high quality golf gear - JAPAN RULEZZZZ :tsg_smilie_mad:

Hi Claus:

This is not entirely true as a part of G-Field are made in China, especially the putters. Most Tourstage/VIQ line are either made or assembled in China as stated in its website as with some of the more popular JDM brands. I do agree with you that this is a forum for loves of JDM gear but partly for their designs and also for the workmanship if they are still produced in Japan, i.e. Honma, S-Yard, Gold's and XXIO and my beloved Matsumoto. There are other forum sites that would cater to lovers of Domestic.

Claus, so the Titleist, TM, etc in your profile is no good then? I am relatively new to golf and even newer to JDM, but I can tell you that you shouldn't assume that everything coming from China is of poor quality.

You got that wrong.

I said that in here JDM gear is regarded as the best quality gear. Golf gear produced in China is a NO NO - I said that with a smile (should have used a smiley for it, sorry).

If you read the posts in here, you will pretty fast spot that the Japan forged and produced gear in general is considered a class higher than golf gear made in China, Taiwan and even Thailand. But as with all in this world, there are exceptions to the rule.

Endo forges a lot of their products in Thailand and some of the major iron manufacturers forger their products in Japan while assembling them in Taiwan or China.

BUT as a general rule - JDM gear is considered "the top of the pops" and stuff made in China is considered being of less superior quality. Notice that I said AS A GENERAL RULE !

Of course China is perfectly capable of making great golf gear, in fact most of the US brands are made and assembled in China. The stuff from Japan just seem to be made with higher quality requirements.

With that in mind, I can't say that I don't like Titleist & TaylorMade gear - I only tried to explain why the original poster most likely was in search for a Japan manufactured 3 wood and not one made in either China, Thailand nor Taiwan.

Hi Claus:

This is not entirely true as a part of G-Field are made in China, especially the putters. Most Tourstage/VIQ line are either made or assembled in China as stated in its website as with some of the more popular JDM brands. I do agree with you that this is a forum for loves of JDM gear but partly for their designs and also for the workmanship if they are still produced in Japan, i.e. Honma, S-Yard, Gold's and XXIO and my beloved Matsumoto. There are other forum sites that would cater to lovers of Domestic.

What I tried to explain was that in this forum, JDM gear is regarded as being superior to golf gear manufactured and produced in China. I didn't say that China can't make excellent golf gear. I know they can, because I love my China produced Titleist and Taylor Made golf gear :tsg_smilie_yuk:

The tendency however is that the golf gear made in Japan seems to be of slightly higher quality and better and softer forgings - especially when it comes to irons and wedges.

Endo is probably the best and most advanced club maker in the world right now when it comes to making drivers, woods and hybrids - and I know a lot of Endo's products are made and assembled in Thailand and China. I have a lot of respect for this brand, so not trying to diss on products made in these countries.

Many JDM brands are made in China, It comes down to several things:

1. Japan Industry Standard Materials ( highest quality is 1020 double forged, Endo has its large factory in Thailand but they send over J.I.S steel to that location )

2. Price Point vs Design ( even china vs china made drivers are better in Japan. Price point allows many new experiments or technologies to be used where as in the USA due to lower cost the product its budget technology. 299 is average price of a driver in America, 800 is the average in Japan. This goes into irons and their tungsten forged inserts and complicated tooling cavity design. imagine how much more you can put into an 800 driver.

3. Quality Control and Manufacturing technique ( yes China has rapid prototyping, C.O.R testing machines etc.. but Japans got all that and next gen versions. Japan has a long tradition of process improvement, or "kaisan." The Japanese are experts at incrementally improving manufacturing methods and processes to ultimate perfection )

Its more difficult for large U.S brands, they cant produce small runs, its not worth their marketing buck or time. They have to produce cost effective yet performing golf clubs to satisfy the budget golfer in the U.S. Remember that golf is a very affordable sport in America compared to other places.

Much of the clubs in China are produced with recycled Titanium from Russian weapons to save $$$.

Japan is world known to make the highest quality Titanium and Steel, Also the surface treatment done to Ti leaves china in the dust.

I look at it this way, If I were baking a cake, i would want the best flour, eggs, sugar, and ingredients i could get. When thinking about a home, a sturdy frame with the latest technology and best materials are my interest. I feel the same way about auto's, clothing, and everything else.

TSG'ers for the most part desire something better, something better designed and made.

Also if OEMs are making their retail product in one place, and the worlds best players clubs in another, it says a lot and I think its only natural to want your clubs made where Tiger's & Phils are made.

Many JDM brands are made in China, It comes down to several things:

1. Japan Industry Standard Materials ( highest quality is 1020 double forged, Endo has its large factory in Thailand but they send over J.I.S steel to that location )

2. Price Point vs Design ( even china vs china made drivers are better in Japan. Price point allows many new experiments or technologies to be used where as in the USA due to lower cost the product its budget technology. 299 is average price of a driver in America, 800 is the average in Japan. This goes into irons and their tungsten forged inserts and complicated tooling cavity design. imagine how much more you can put into an 800 driver.

3. Quality Control and Manufacturing technique ( yes China has rapid prototyping, C.O.R testing machines etc.. but Japans got all that and next gen versions. Japan has a long tradition of process improvement, or "kaisan." The Japanese are experts at incrementally improving manufacturing methods and processes to ultimate perfection )

Its more difficult for large U.S brands, they cant produce small runs, its not worth their marketing buck or time. They have to produce cost effective yet performing golf clubs to satisfy the budget golfer in the U.S. Remember that golf is a very affordable sport in America compared to other places.

Much of the clubs in China are produced with recycled Titanium from Russian weapons to save $$$.

Japan is world known to make the highest quality Titanium and Steel, Also the surface treatment done to Ti leaves china in the dust.

I look at it this way, If I were baking a cake, i would want the best flour, eggs, sugar, and ingredients i could get. When thinking about a home, a sturdy frame with the latest technology and best materials are my interest. I feel the same way about auto's, clothing, and everything else.

TSG'ers for the most part desire something better, something better designed and made.

Also if OEMs are making their retail product in one place, and the worlds best players clubs in another, it says a lot and I think its only natural to want your clubs made where Tiger's & Phils are made.

Great post, Chris :tsg_smiley_crazy:

OT warning !

I see you currently play with the Mizzie E500 irons - how are they, are they soft feeling and don't they have a bit too much offset ?

They seem a bit bulky to me, compared to Epon type J and X you previously played with...

What about the Mizzie E500 460cc driver, I'm looking forward to a test up against the Epon 460 Technity and the Tourstage X drive 460 drivers.......will you test it soon ?

Off the tee, I strongly recommend trying the Tourstage X-Drive Fairway with Tour AD Quattro shaft. I've never hit anything as long and feels as good. It's about as long as my current driver but much more accurate. Now, all I need to do is get over my ego, sell the current driver, and tee off with a 3 wood.

Bat