What's your guys take on Mike Austin. Check this out.

Mjr. D

Here's his site. He doesn't buy the head still, body rotate around spine teaching, that's for sure. What do you guys think?

http://www.mikeaustingolf.com/clips/

Hmmm, any particular reason why?

Hmmm, any particular reason why?

Yes Sir, Im a big fan of the stack and tilt move aka " The New Move " or " Tour Move " I am bias toward it as my instructor has been grilling me for months and its getting pretty close. I say Butch because he was Tigers trainer during his greatest years and the years that IMO he had his swing in true form. I also like butch because he is getting Phil to a place that is much more down the line without all that flipping crap that ledbetter teaches.

Outside of that there is a guy who's name is Brett Smith who is supposed to be the authority on the new move, There are many old timers who know a lot about instruction but thanks to Golf Digest many years ago naming the top 30 it has pretty much left out guys who are not only better IMO than many of the worlds top teachers but they are incorporating some new age thoughts combined with fitness and throwing all the old/current confusing terms out the window.

I really like when teachers take measurements of your arm length, your torso etc.. to come up with a dimension and depth that allows you to swing on the proper path, The old timers just dont do that, Many pro's on the PGA tour have amazing talent yet flawed swings, A couple great examples of great depth and dimensions are davis love and adam scott. The opposite would be someone like Darren Clarke. Its my opinion that validation and the skill to trouble shoot your own swing to a certain extent is VERY important to a serious golfer. Making a fierce impact with the ground creating compression with the ball is key, ever since i learned that aspect my wedges produce to much spin. Go down and attack that ball with an aggressive rotation is key and I like guys who teach this.

I was lucky enough to get a reply from the great Brett Smith via E-mail that went like this:

I really think most people that have been into the game for awhile are pretty much lost on the true mechanics- see most people are teaching characteristics... the superficial stuff like posture, plane- one plane, two plane, up and under, figure 8's.... all kinds of things out there. But when you really break down the golf swing into it's pefect truth, it's about consistently square, down- the- line pressure with predictable results.... and getting that to happen more is initially based on really getting good at understanding HOW to:

1. Measure your true arc and start trapping the ball in it. (establishing consistent radius of the lever orbiting in front of the torso by featuring connection and three dimesional depth)

2. Create repeating function of square (flat left-bent right) and pressure (compression)

3. Eliminate variables that hinder true function: flippiness vs the firm left, steep vs. shallow, rotational thrust vs the transitional void (fancy for "casting").

In regards to Jimmy Ballard, you gotta love him, low key not to flashy with some basics that no one can deny. The ultimate judgement is based on components that hold up under TOUR pressure and have produced champions- and he's got more guys with titles than Wal-Mart has scan codes.

IMO when things are in order there is no need for open or closed face angles, or lower lofts to reduce spin. Of course adjustments are necessary with equipment but in many cases some of the intense customizations are simply band aids to swing flaws. Its like VJ, the guy needs to go all In and not pick and choose what gets him down the center. Amazing work ethic but there are things that are there that need not be and vice versa.

On a side note if i were to suggest one book that holds more truth than any it would be Five Lessons by Ben Hogan. Thats my bible!

You know if you really look at him, there's really not a whole lot of movement in his swing go begin with. The one thing about golf is there really is a bunch of different ways to hit the ball with success. This I know. I've had success hitting the ball many different ways. Really the key is finding what works best for you. But when you get down to it, the less moving parts the better as its more consistent. My mantra for many years has been turn and turn. I have a very athletic move but my swing for a long time had way too much lateral movement. It takes time but if you can really get down to just turning and turning, while maintaining width in the swing, you will be very successful. Get that move down and just believing in yourself and you will go a long way. I've been reading a little lately about the "stack and tilt." I was working on that a few years back with some good success. But back then, I didn't have all the confidence and thought I needed to do something different. Lately, in reading about this, I'm discovering that I've been doing a lot of right things for a long time. Now I'm believing in myself and my equipment and just letting it all happen. I just wish I had more time like I had a few years back. Oh well, I'll take the experience as there's nothing like experience to be able to fall back on. Golf teachers are like anything thing else in life. Find one you believe in and seems "logical" or "right" to you, add in a little perserverance and work ethic, and you'll get there.

Wow. Very interesting. I'm just now getting serious about golf. My game's been a disaster this past 6 months but in the long run, it will pay off. I don't know very much about the "in's and out's" of the golf swing but i do own a copy of "5 Lessons" as well as some Jack Nicklaus books that i'm reading right now. These books should do wonders in helping me understand.

I'm all about keeping things easy and simple and letting your body move freely. I believe if there's a position someone tells you to get into that seems nearly impossible, then it's probably not the position for you.

I'm very in tune with my body simply because of the years i've spent dissecting pitching mechanics and although it was a serious serious struggle littered with frustration for many years, i do realize that now, it's to my advantage to have such an understanding of the mechanics of the delivery. This is exactly where i'd like to get with my golf swing eventually. I want the ability to know when something's off, and know precisely what adjustment i need to make in order to correct it. I believe if a person has this skill along with the ability to not get TOO CRAZY with over analyzing and awareness, they have the best chance to bring forth their full potential.

I totally agree with what you said about Tiger. Although he looked really good today, i don't believe he's as solid of a ball striker as he was with Butch. He used to routinely run away with tournaments but when you watch him today, he just manages to make a few less critical mistakes than the second place finisher. Seems like he used to be a better putter as well. I might be wrong there though.

Chris, what are the main "swing types" in golf over the years? I've only heard of the "Stack and Tilt" and although i can identify maybe one other, i don't know the actual names. I'd like to know this so i can research which type i believe would best suit me.

i think the stack and tilt move is horrible it will be out of style in 3 to 5 years. it is a fad. it will ruin many young golfers carrers. it is unnatual to stay on the left side on the ball. it is a very dumb move. anybody agree with me.?

I agree with a lot of that.

I watch people on the driving range try and teach themselves this swing. What a disaster. I'm not sure that without a swing coach that trying to switch to this is a good idea.

Being taught from day one... maybe, but trying to teach an old dog doesn't make any sense to me.

It will be interesting to see how long this new "fad" lasts.

• 5 months later...

Not a fan of stack and tilt for the same reason. Mike Austin had a great golf swing but that is one "method" just like Nicklaus and Hogan had theirs. If you have the same body type and flexibility then it's safe to try that person's method. Mike was extremely strong and flexible even when he was in his late 60's hitting the ball 300 yards!

For anyone learning golf find a good teacher first before you read 12 different books! Learn how to swing with a flat left wrist, on plane, with correct pressure; then you can experiment with different variations and components.

I bought the DVD and it did help me. The round I played after watching it I shot 76 with about 5 missed birdie chances within 12 feet. Just so happened I couldn't buy a putt that day. What I like about his simple teaching is;

1. Take the club away on the inside.

2. Swing it outwards.

3. If you've seen the DVD, they use a model airplane to demonstrate the swing plane and the image has really worked for me.

His methods helped me crunch the ball that week and hit my irons really solid and on line. I'm a lazy mofo and haven't watched it since but am still working on those simple images.

This probably worked for me because my common error is to not slot the club early enough on the downswing. Forcing you to visualize a 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock swing is good for me.

• 5 weeks later...

A couple very simple words about "Stack and Tilt": TOUR PROVEN.

Now consider the fact that Mike Weir and Baddz were good enough to win before, but they have won with it- so there is credibility there. Also it was very interesting on precise he was down the stretch with TW in the Match Play and expect him to definitely win this year... he's hitting it well, close and he can putt the eyes out of it. :tsg_smilie_surprise:

bSmith

RE: Mr. Austin there>

Like the simplicity of what he has to say about plane regarding the hands just working sideways from the up position. Note what he said about NOT LIFTING THE HANDS.. that's good stuff.

Biomechanically you can tell he is a bit of a beast- stocky guy with that twitchy muscle fiber you need for snap and flexiblity. Shave his head and he could still be a nightclub bouncer- or bet if you look on his mantle, there are some baseball trophies.... or the like.

Technically, with all that mass, he covers the target with his back... with very good lines while maintaining the infrastructure- true loading with great range of motion- no cheating moves or buckling.

He needs to stop using the term "Turn" as that is categorically incorrect.

bSmith

• 2 months later...