R7 Forged vs X Forged vs Epon J

EdChoi

I have all my life played MBs and blades, and finally want to get into a good CB because I forsee the amount of time I play golf going down a great deal in the near future.

The three irons I am curious about are the three above, i know the epon j is going to be regarded as the best quality forging, and I've read a lot of the posts related to the irons, but any additional insight is appreciated.

Ed, all three irons you mention are fantastic player's CB's. You honestly could not go wrong with any of them. The Type J would be a nice transition from blades as the J itself is the most blade like. The X-Forged are forged by Endo as you probably know and the R7 Forged is very popular in Asia and on Asian tours and a great looking iron. Have you had a chance to hit the X-Forged yet at any shops?

I have all my life played MBs and blades, and finally want to get into a good CB because I forsee the amount of time I play golf going down a great deal in the near future.

The three irons I am curious about are the three above, i know the epon j is going to be regarded as the best quality forging, and I've read a lot of the posts related to the irons, but any additional insight is appreciated.

The Type J is my all time favorite iron, its a blade cavity back style with all the good feel, the shape and setup is also another amazing thing about the J's but I must say the R7 forged has an awesome shape and great looks as well. So I would boil it down to how far from a blade you are willing to go. The J is very blade like but the R7 forged is almost a mid size players cavity back, as for comparing forgiveness of the two against each other the difference is very minimal, Your already used to blades so you must have great ball striking and would do fine with either.

My two factors would be the J's feel better and setup smaller.

Gocchin and Chris, thanks for the replies.

I have not yet hit the x forged at a fitting, but will do so soon.

But I have seen the r7 forged in person and liked the way they setup.

But I am still most curious about the epon j, you guys don't have single iron demos for either the epon j or the r7 forged do you?

I think I will flip a coin later tonight between r7 and epon j and let you guys know :)

Not played the Js but have played the other two.

R7 forged won for me and their head size is only fractionally bigger than my beloved MP33s. Because they have no undercut and there is a good lump of meat right behind the sweet spot they feel better than I imagined.

Admittedly I did use the stock PX shafts in the X-Forged and I think they would be a much better club with the TC or maybe NS shaft.

Good luck with your search. Make sure you get the right shafts as it makes all the difference.