EPON TYPE X AND MACHLINE SHAFTS

BELA

I know most of you TSGers are not very fond of graphite shafts on irons, but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried Machline shafts on Epon irons or could give me some feedback on the shafts themselves.

Chris?

Thanks a lot.

More and more of us are indeed using graphite in our irons... there are several on this forum who are (including myself). The Mach Line iron shafts are on par with the Axiv and Graphite Design shafts, quality and performance wise. In other words, like Axiv and GD, they provide feel and performance coupled with the dispersion of steel. Mach Line did not heavily promote their Graphite shafts, which is why many people may have not even noticed that they were around. As a matter of a fact Epon is banking on the AF-701 as being the perfect match with Mach Line graphite shafts. So much that the standard tip size for the AF-701 is for graphite 0.370 parallel as opposed to the 301 and 501 which are taper.

The Mach Line offering focus on light weight and mostly low kick points (except for some of the shorter irons which are mid) until you get to the 701 models which are mid in the long irons progresing to high kick points in the shorter irons. Flex ratings are very similar to Axiv, slightly higher torque.

I like really lightweight shafts so I tried the 501's. Very smooth, nice feel and at that weight and flex ® you can feel the kick, and just as good as Axiv and GD. I think I will get a set as they are also very reasonably priced compared to Axiv and Roddio.

Thanks for your input Gocchin, I knew you would show up!

Next week I am going to be lucky enough to test some Type X with the Machline and see for myself.

One more question,

How can you tell the flex of the shaft is the sticker is missing?

The shaft itself does not say anything about that, just says 501...

Hi Bela,

Yeah that is one problem with Mach Line, they do not list the flex in the graphics but instead put it on the butt end if I remember correctly with a sticker or something. Problem is that's under the grip!! You can always test and guess the flex or if you have access to a clubfitter check the cpm's. Mach Line should definitely correct this (^_^).

If the Machline wood shaft is any indication, their iron shafts would be as good as any of the bigger name shafts such as Fuji and DG. I have the 5350 proto and 7060 and think they are great performers and of course value.

If the Machline wood shaft is any indication, their iron shafts would be as good as any of the bigger name shafts such as Fuji and DG. I have the 5350 proto and 7060 and think they are great performers and of course value.

See Bela, here's another hardcore JDM man right here who has used Graphite in his irons at one time or another. (^_^)

See Bela, here's another hardcore JDM man right here who has used Graphite in his irons at one time or another. (^_^)

ha ha, I still have a set of Speeder 603 and AXIV 558M that I need to find a good set of heads or sell them and try Machline instead. Unfortunately they are all good and the only way to test any shaft is to get identical heads.

i have the machline 501 on the type x and all i can say is that these shafts are as good as any other premium iron shaft available. very very stable and easy to use. i actually prefer these over the axiv i have on the 701s. one thing i noticed though is that the machlines seem to play softer than flex in their irons graphites

i have the machline 501 on the type x and all i can say is that these shafts are as good as any other premium iron shaft available. very very stable and easy to use. i actually prefer these over the axiv i have on the 701s. one thing i noticed though is that the machlines seem to play softer than flex in their irons graphites

The thing to watch out for in graphite such as Machline or Axiv, the heavier of the shaft, even in the same flex would also play or feel stiffer. Your Machline 501 is probably in the mid 50g while your Axiv might be the heavier mid 70 g ones while both are R or S flex. One must choose the weight class carefully or be disappointed.

The thing to watch out for in graphite such as Machline or Axiv, the heavier of the shaft, even in the same flex would also play or feel stiffer. Your Machline 501 is probably in the mid 50g while your Axiv might be the heavier mid 70 g ones while both are R or S flex. One must choose the weight class carefully or be disappointed.

This is exactly true, the only way shaft companies can drop weight in their shafts and get lighter is to use thinner plys and graphite which in effect softens the flex.

R you hit the nail on the head, perfect explanation. you are correct the axiv is in the 70-80 gram range its the 758m while the macline 501 is in the 50-60 range.

R you hit the nail on the head, perfect explanation. you are correct the axiv is in the 70-80 gram range its the 758m while the macline 501 is in the 50-60 range.

C

T is more knowledgeable :atsg_smilie_roll: but I do know my JDM since I have been playing golf for 30 years.

C

T is more knowledgeable :atsg_smilie_roll: but I do know my JDM since I have been playing golf for 30 years.

T is a wellspring of JDM knowledge. thanks guys i am just beginning to learn and understand the wonderful world of jdm

Let´s imagine there is no upcharge for the graphite shafts.

What would you buy for your Type X irons, Machline 501 or Nippon 850?

Let´s imagine there is no upcharge for the graphite shafts.

What would you buy for your Type X irons, Machline 501 or Nippon 850?

You are comparing apple and orange with 30 g difference in weight. You woul be able to swing faster with the 501 but less control with the lighter shaft, especially if it is too flex. You have a mix bag in your signature which makes it difficult to recommend. I have never play the Machline iron shafts but i do have 3 driver shafts by NGS and they are as good if not better than any big name JDM shafts. The trick is to find the right flex for you swing speed regardless of material. I play a Nippon 850 in R but would probably play the 501 in S. If it is 701 it would be SR. I know it is not much help for you too choose but I play both and i like both graphite and steel if they are the right flex.

You are comparing apple and orange with 30 g difference in weight. You woul be able to swing faster with the 501 but less control with the lighter shaft, especially if it is too flex. You have a mix bag in your signature which makes it difficult to recommend. I have never play the Machline iron shafts but i do have 3 driver shafts by NGS and they are as good if not better than any big name JDM shafts. The trick is to find the right flex for you swing speed regardless of material. I play a Nippon 850 in R but would probably play the 501 in S. If it is 701 it would be SR. I know it is not much help for you too choose but I play both and i like both graphite and steel if they are the right flex.

You are 100% right, but those are the only two options available from the seller right now.

There is nothing left in my signature´s bag. I need to update that asap.

But I am afraid that my bag right now is still a little messy...

I play Drev stiff (63gr, 3.5 torque I believe) in my Epon 460. I have to be swinging well to hit it straight but do not know if it is the shaft or the head...

My swing speed was measured in an indoor simulator almost a year ago around 100-103mph but I don´t trust the machine anymore. I think I am in the border of reg and stiff.

I play reg flex graphite in my XXIO 3 and 5 woods. That´s 50 grams and almost 4 torque.

I have 3 iron sets right now that come in and out of the bag:

A set of Bridgestone GC mids with Nippon 105 gram reg steel that I bought just for the shafts. I think they are too heavy for me weekend golfer.

A set of Beres 702 with reg graphite shafts. No complains. These are my gamers.....for the moment

A set of Pings G10 with reg graphite shafts wich the more I play the more I love, the most forgiving irons I have played.

The Pings shafts are 75gr and I think the Nippon 105 in the Bridgestones are a bit too much for me, so I thought I could give the Nippon 850 a try, but the upcharge for the graphite is very low and that´s why I asked for advice.

Another thing to take into account is that if I buy graphite, I can always reshaft with the Nippons, because they are available here, but the opposite does not work. I can not get Machline shafts here.

Thanks very much for your input

Hi Bela,

I think you'd be okay with the graphite, but maybe 601's. Are those the stock MP400 shafts in the XXIO woods? Looking at your current make up, I'm guessing the Beres are B49 shafts? If so those are pretty close to the 501's in weight so you may be okay with those too. If the seller is an authorized Epon dealer he should have no problems getting 501 601 or 701 from Epon. If it's your chance to get mach line graphite with the irons, like you said I'd go for it. NS Pro 850 is more common and easy to get, and you have had experience with both steel and graphite so it seems like you feel pretty comfortable with graphite. (^_^)

Bela:

Looking at your current set up, it is more mixed that ever. The Drev stiff, while you did not specify which model, must be in the mid 12 flex (NGS scale) which is actually quite suitable for a 100 mph swing. I am confused by the Beres 702 regular which is extremely soft and light. If you play the xxio mp400 in regular and play it well, then Gocchin's recommendation is correct for a 601. You could benefit it more if the Drev is a SR or the flex is more in the mid 11 range. If you are playing the ping in reg graphite, you could be looking at jdm sr to fit your swing speed.

Note: Bela. if you are now playing the Beres 702, why are you looking at the tpye X. There is absolutely no advantage for you to switch. Beres are as strong loft as any irons on the market and the shaft is like a whip. Both irons have the clicky sound anyway.

Edited by Duffer19

Hi Bela,

I think you'd be okay with the graphite, but maybe 601's. Are those the stock MP400 shafts in the XXIO woods? Looking at your current make up, I'm guessing the Beres are B49 shafts? If so those are pretty close to the 501's in weight so you may be okay with those too. If the seller is an authorized Epon dealer he should have no problems getting 501 601 or 701 from Epon. If it's your chance to get mach line graphite with the irons, like you said I'd go for it. NS Pro 850 is more common and easy to get, and you have had experience with both steel and graphite so it seems like you feel pretty comfortable with graphite. (^_^)

Thanks again for your input Gocchin, and I love your avatar by the way...

The shafts in the XXIO woods are indeed MP400 in regular.

You see, XXIO is not easy to buy in my country. I bought regular because I had no chance to demo/buy stiff. They were simply not available. I tested them against other OEM´s woods in reg and stiff anyway. I bought them second hand but almost new....didn´t want to let them go....

The shafts in the Beres irons are indeed B49 in regular.

I am a regular guy. I am 35 years old. Not to strong, not to slim but I can say I hit the ball long enough.

150 metres with a 7 iron (that´s around 170 yds?), with a "normal" iron. Not strong lofted.

I don´t think this shafts are for older man, too light and whippy like some say. I think they are fine.

The problem in my country is that it´s almost impossible to get fitted properly.

I have attended several demo days from big OEMs and even one with the European Tour Van in the range to take your orders and they were all bulls**t.They just want to make money.

Just a couple of staff bags full of clubs in two or three lofts and two shafts to try and no launch monitors no computers no nothing.

The "fitter" watches you hit balls and says: "ok, you need a reg shaft, 9 degrees of loft, and -1inches, it´s 299 dollars, have a nice day"

It is dangerous and expensive but I am fitting myself.

I went to a shop some months ago and measured my swing speed in a simulator and was around 102 mph so I bought the Epon 460 in stiff from Chris.

But I honestly think I am a little below that right now. Maybe 97-98mph.

Believe me, I would be the happiest man in the world if I could be properly fitted just once and know what to buy...

But this is black or white. It´s Machline 501A or Nippon 850R. No chance of getting 601 or 701.

I don´t really need the irons but I think this is a good chance to get a set of Epons cause the price is very good..... I can always pass..

If you have no problems hitting the MP400 in the woods then you can handle a flexible lightweight regular shaft as that's what XXIO's are. I say go for the Mach Line 501's. They will be a similar weight to the Beres which you already use. You will probably be very happy with Type X and Mach Line. (^_^)