forged 8620 steel?

landshark

i noticed that some of the crews wedges are 8620 forged. how does this rank them compared to the 1025 or 1020 forged i see from most other forgings? also, would double forging make the club more solid, and do most forgers use this?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 8620 is cast as are most Crew's wedges. They may used the term forged (like honma does with their form forged cast irons).

As for multiple forging, this is common to make an iron stronger and softer, a lot of irons are at least two times forged, Srixon uses a method that involves 6 times.

Actually 8620 Carbon steel in reality is an alloy steel and not regarded as a true carbon steel at all.

This is why you often will see this particular steel used in cast clubs, that sort of pretend they are forged.

As in Bridgestone's new West Coast design wedges and Titleist's Vokey wedges- Also the Cobra Carbon players cavity back clubs are cast from 8620 "carbon steel"

Not saying clubs can't feel great, when made from 8620 alloy steel - they sure can and I still love my cast 8620 carbon steel Vokey wedges (although they do not match my custom made proto Scratch wedges, which are quad forged from 1018 carbon steel) and will always and forever have a trio of Vokey's in my possession, just stating the fact that 8620 carbon steel has too little carbon in the steel to be called actual real carbon steel, but normally is being referred to as an alloy steel - except within certain places in the golf industry of course :tsg_smiley_drool:

To defend the use of 8620 carbon steel, I've tried the Cobra Carbon CB irons and they actually feel great for a cast set of irons - wonderful set of clubs. However they still are cast from 8620 alloy steel in my view. As stated earlier, a cast clubs can actually today be made in such a way, that it is and feels softer than a forged club. It's all about how they are made and what they are made from.

Real carbon steel in forged golf clubs starts at 1035 and the best softest forged clubs are always forged from 1025/s25c, 1020/s20c and 1018 carbon steel.

Actually to my knowledge, the only place in the industry where 8620 alloy steel is being called 8620 carbon steel is within the golf industry - that just goes to show the whole point of what I'm saying here - check this link out:

http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/8620.asp

Edited by ClubHoUno

Actually 8620 Carbon steel in reality is an alloy steel and not regarded as a true carbon steel at all.

This is why you often will see this particular steel used in cast clubs, that sort of pretend they are forged.

As in Bridgestone's new West Coast design wedges and Titleist's Vokey wedges- Also the Cobra Carbon players cavity back clubs are cast from 8620 "carbon steel"

Not saying clubs can't feel great, when made from 8620 alloy steel - they sure can and I still love my cast 8620 carbon steel Vokey wedges (although they do not match my custom made proto Scratch wedges, which are quad forged from 1018 carbon steel) and will always and forever have a trio of Vokey's in my possession, just stating the fact that 8620 carbon steel has too little carbon in the steel to be called actual real carbon steel, but normally is being referred to as an alloy steel - except within certain places in the golf industry of course :tsg_smiley_pinocchio:

To defend to use of 8620 carbon steel, I've tried the Cobra Carbon CB irons and they actually feel great for a cast set of irons - wonderful set of clubs. However they still are cast from 8620 alloy steel ion my view. As stated earlier, a cast clubs can actually today be made in such a way, that it is and feels softer than a forged club. It's all about how they are made and what they are made from.

Real carbon steel in forged golf clubs starts at 1035 and the best softest forged clubs are always forged from 1025/s25c, 1020/s20c or 1018 carbon steel.

Actually to my knowledge, the only place in the industry where 8620 alloy steel is being called 8620 carbon steel is within the golf industry - that just goes to show the whole point of what I'm saying here - check this link out:

Very good info thanks.. :tsg_smilie_surprise:

Not saying clubs can't feel great, when made from 8620 alloy steel - they sure can and I still love my cast 8620 carbon steel Vokey wedges (although they do not match my custom made proto Scratch wedges, which are quad forged from 1018 carbon steel) and will always and forever have a trio of Vokey's in my possession, just stating the fact that 8620 carbon steel has too little carbon in the steel to be called actual real carbon steel, but normally is being referred to as an alloy steel - except within certain places in the golf industry of course :tsg_smiley_pinocchio:

To defend to use of 8620 carbon steel, I've tried the Cobra Carbon CB irons and they actually feel great for a cast set of irons - wonderful set of clubs. However they still are cast from 8620 alloy steel ion my view. As stated earlier, a cast clubs can actually today be made in such a way, that it is and feels softer than a forged club. It's all about how they are made and what they are made from.

Real carbon steel in forged golf clubs starts at 1035 and the best softest forged clubs are always forged from 1025/s25c, 1020/s20c or 1018 carbon steel.

Great info!! Thanks!! I think I'll always end up favoring the forged club. Absolutely love Miura and Yururi wedges. Last question where does the tourstage marus fit into this equation? 99.9 FE carbon? is that the material or is that the finish? I have seen the satin version and it is just a jawdropper.

Great info!! Thanks!! I think I'll always end up favoring the forged club. Absolutely love Miura and Yururi wedges. Last question where does the tourstage marus fit into this equation? 99.9 FE carbon? is that the material or is that the finish? I have seen the satin version and it is just a jawdropper.

I'm sorry, but I can't answer your question about the Tourstage clubs - maybe Chris or Gocchin can help you.

My guess -and that's purely a guess, is that 99.9 FE Carbon sounds more like the name of a finish as you imply, but don't know this for sure.

Taylor Made once had a finish on their RAC Black wedges called Rac FE Black. It would rust quickly, but looked awesome, when brand new.

What I do know is this:

The more a golf company tries to invent new expressions for finishes and materials used in their new products, the more it stinks of being just another a way of hiding a product with a somewhat inferior quality of finish or material. This does not apply all the time, but most of the time this is the case :tsg_smiley_pinocchio:

Try to look at the Epon series - they are very low key and kind of discrete in the way they promote their new products, although the products in more than one way stands for new and innovative ideas, finishes and softer forged materials. They could easily have launched their products in big style calling their products the next best new thing made from space like material directly from NASA Space lab and so on, but instead they choose to let the products speak for themselves.

I really like Mizuno irons - and will have a set of custom Japan Mizuno's in my bag next year in Brushed Satin Nickel finish, but their Cut Muscle design in my view is kind of a gimmick - but Mizuno launched them in big style and even have a website called www.cutmuscle.com

We as consumers have to be able to figure out where the gimmicks are and where the real time quality is in the golf gear we purchase for our hard earned money.

What I do know is this:

The more a golf company tries to invent new expressions for finishes and materials used in their new products, the more it stinks of being just another a way of hiding a product with a somewhat inferior quality of finish or material. This does not apply all the time, but most of the time this is the case :tsg_smiley_pinocchio:

Try to look at the Epon series - they are very low key and kind of discrete in the way they promote their new products, although the products in more than one way stands for new and innovative ideas, finishes and softer forged materials. They could easily have launched their products in big style calling their products the next best new thing made from space like material directly from NASA Space lab and so on, but instead they choose to let the products speak for themselves.

I really like Mizuno irons - and will have a set of custom Japan Mizuno's in my bag next year in Brushed Satin Nickel finish, but their Cut Muscle design in my view is kind of a gimmick - but Mizuno launched them in big style and even have a website called www.cutmuscle.com

We as consumers have to be able to figure out where the gimmicks are and where the real time quality is in the golf gear we purchase for our hard earned money.

Couldn't agree w/you more. I think Endo is a great company! Epon BG, yamaha, prgr, all great clubs by endo. Big Yay! on the Miz irons your getting!! I'm also a Miz FAN! The stuff that comes out of Miz forgings are the softest I've felt. I enjoy hitting my 60s every now and then, but right now the R7 forged is just kicking arse for me.

I think its a MAJOR difference from hitting the USDM CAST R7 TP. They really shouldn't be compared side by side. Forged club hands down!!

Edited by xchangmanx