Nippon 950, 1050, 1150 Tour

Droopy

Besides the issue of different weights, what are the main differences between the Nippon 950, 1050, and 1150 Tour? Playability? Etc...

Thanks,

Droopy

Edited by Droopy

the 1150 is more true to flex while the 950 and 1050 are softer to stated flex.

i have all 3 and the 1150 are really nice.

i don't know if it's true but many have said that the 950 and 1050 would sometimes balloon on them as they hit these pretty high.

They don't necessarily balloon shots, they just have different characteristics, the ligher weight Nippons, from the 750's which do play rather soft to the 1050's are more high launching shafts and they are meant to be. The 1150 is the lowest launching of the bunch, not only because it is heavier and stiffer which helps but also because Nippon designed their profile that way.

The lighter shafts are naturally going to feel softer due to their weight, this is a characteristic of all shafts no matter what brand, the lighter model always feels softer as the only way that manufacturers can drop weight is by making the walls of the shaft thinner.

i have all 3 and the 1150 are really nice.

Same here, 1150s on my Mp60s and epon 301s. Great combo for me.

1150s play more like DG with a lower launch, the 1050s down have a higher launch and are CPM softer than standard spec flexes. (probably due to a softer tip and butt.)

As a second note, I would be very careful ordering the 1050 down in R unless you demo first. The combination of the high launch, lightweight shaft, and softer flex may result in very high weak shots that just drop in the wind with no punch at all, even for folks who are textbook R due to their swingspeed.

I had 1030 R shafts stock in my Cobra Carbon CBs and then switched them to 950 R. The launch is very similar but I could easily tell the difference in weight and feel of the kick with a well timed impact. I could never achieve this sensitivity with R300 shafts. The 1030s were very nice but I prefer the added swingspeed of the lighter shaft as I am a balanced smoother not a hard hitter.

I had installed NS Pro Titleist labled 970 pulls in my Miura blade/combos and found these head heavy at address. Not as much as with the CB201 longer irons in the set. Although they perform well these were not as good a match to the tour blade due to the proprietary specs of the Titleist 970. I have some 850GH coming in for the Miuras and believe this will be heavenly for my tastes.