Faded Epon KGX Wedge's in Charcoal Black

ukok

I have two Epon 208 KGX wedge's in 56 and 60 degree lofts in the charcoal black finish. Having used the clubs for nearly six months, I am very dissapointed that the finish is no longer charcoal black but nearer to rusty brown. Is this the norm for clubs with a black finish as I usually buy chrome/satin finish. The original black finish was excellent but alas not now.

Your thoughts.

Very few finishes of this type maintain over the long term. My KGX's faded after the first week, but I have to say that I like the look. Personally, its been a long time since I had a somewhat rusty wedge. Nonetheless, its wear that should be expected.

Very few finishes of this type maintain over the long term. My KGX's faded after the first week, but I have to say that I like the look. Personally, its been a long time since I had a somewhat rusty wedge. Nonetheless, its wear that should be expected.

I agree. These finishes don't last long and the rust is to be expected (which I think looks good on a wedge and gives it a softer feel compared to a plated finish).

Edited by dkats

It's common knowledge that any finish that is not a plating will wear and reveal carbon steal.

Pro golfers actually prefer this to wedges with chrome or satin plating while the average consumer is usually put off by it.

It's common knowledge that any finish that is not a plating will wear and reveal carbon steal.

Pro golfers actually prefer this to wedges with chrome or satin plating while the average consumer is usually put off by it.

I have the smooth gold, which in actual fact are quite copper colored. Very cool, I hope the finish lasts.

With the black ones, would it have helped to be applying regular oil or something? Like a black ox putter for example?

Paul

I absolutely love the weathered look of wedges like you're describing. Enjoy them as their performance isn't determined by how they look. Besides, it is golf, clubs are meant to be used.

I absolutely love the weathered look of wedges like you're describing. Enjoy them as their performance isn't determined by how they look. Besides, it is golf, clubs are meant to be used.

My point is not how the clubs play, which are excellent but why buy a black finish if its only going to last a few months at the most. I have several rusty look wedges and thought the black finish would be a nice change and although, I agree a clubs performance is not determined by how they look, I always look for a club that suits the eye as well.

My point is not how the clubs play, which are excellent but why buy a black finish if its only going to last a few months at the most. I have several rusty look wedges and thought the black finish would be a nice change and although, I agree a clubs performance is not determined by how they look, I always look for a club that suits the eye as well.

The only area that will wear is spot's that make contact with turf or ball. The rest of the club stay's black.

Most platings reflect the sun into the eye's and many players don't like that, especially pro's.

I prefer Black wedges vs Plated. I like the feel, look, and wear.

Have you tried wiping them down with anything? Just this week TSG added Sword Oil which is supposed to help clean your clubs and return their shine. For only twenty bucks it might be worth a shot, though I tend to like the faded look as well. If anything Sword Oil is supposed to help keep you club clean and get protect it from rust. Give it a try and let's hear back from you.