early wrist cock and the wall drill

jacksonlui

Tiger of old use to have his hands pretty far from his hip at 3 o'clock which extended his arc. Tiger of new as with most modern players have their hands closer to the hips at 3 o'clock for a more compact swing. I've been trying to work on the latter because having the hands too far causes me to flatten my swing and ultimately hooking. Working on the latter, I have to feel as if i'm picking up my club right away. Does this make any sense or am i going down the wrong path. Any experts out there that can help. btw..i've been working with my swing coach and he's having me work on this and i'm in complete agreement with him eventhough i can't hit with consistency since i still need to practice this.

I also need to work on the wall drill, however, it's a lot harder than it looks. Is there a better alternative to this drill that will work better? I need to get more upright at the top.

thanks

Jack

It seems to me the more we tend to keep the left arm close in the takeaway the more we take the club inside at the bottom. Maintaining the triangle with the hands as one unit in front of the chest until 3 o clock seems to work the best to get the club properly extended and going back at the top as opposed to the bottom. You don't mention any down swing problems but the early inside move at the bottom keeps the club turning counterclockwise in the swing so that its natural tendency is to continue its natural path over the top and come in sharply inside in the follow through. Each side mirrors the other, even in a bad swing. We want the club to be turning clockwise in the swing, that is, it crosses to the rear at the top so it continues naturally to the inside at the bottom for a good full inside to inside downswing. Compaction of the swing should occur by not letting the arms extend beyond the shoulder turn.

thanks for the reply.

at 3 o'clock i'm not 90 degree hinged yet unless I hinge on purpose. if I hinge on purpose it seems to create a more compact swing and prevents me from going inside and also keeps my clubhead outside my hands. I always though the backswing was quiet hands.

It seems to me the more we tend to keep the left arm close in the takeaway the more we take the club inside at the bottom. Maintaining the triangle with the hands as one unit in front of the chest until 3 o clock seems to work the best to get the club properly extended and going back at the top as opposed to the bottom. You don't mention any down swing problems but the early inside move at the bottom keeps the club turning counterclockwise in the swing so that its natural tendency is to continue its natural path over the top and come in sharply inside in the follow through. Each side mirrors the other, even in a bad swing. We want the club to be turning clockwise in the swing, that is, it crosses to the rear at the top so it continues naturally to the inside at the bottom for a good full inside to inside downswing. Compaction of the swing should occur by not letting the arms extend beyond the shoulder turn.

Hey Jack,

What you are actually seeing with TW of newer is an adusted 3dimensional axis which encourages more of a folding action of the right arm which has the appearance of earlier hinge action.

The big key for you Jack is what allows you to most effectively get inline consistently in the impact zone. I encourage connected extension on the loading as well as the release. You have to be really careful that extension doesn't come at the expense of disconnecting the left arm from the torso- that's reaching. As Mr. Ballard says- the left elbow always points down. If you're getting too flat, it's because you are doing something funky with the left elbow and/or disconnecting. Many people characterize it as compact, but the modern move is CONNECTED... which is an important function vs an empty characteristic. If you start with the connection concept, it should help you stay more effectively harnessed and inline throughout your movements. I don't encourage independent hand action because it doesn't hold up under pressure. Hope this helps..... let me know.

Bret