Callaway Japan Legacy Forged Iron for 2009!

gocchin

Callaway has decided to introduce a new forged iron for 2009 the Legacy Iron!

The new Legacy is aimed at the mid capper looking for a high tech forged iron for performance and forgiveness. The Legacy has a wider sole, tungsten weights and Vibration Absorption Rubber to minimize vibrations.

The design was supervised by Roger Cleveland specifically for the Japanese market featuring a easy to use head shape, slightly higher heel and semi goose neck.

legacyiron_main_000.jpg

legacyiron_1.jpg

legacyiron_2_000.jpg

legacyiron_3.jpg

legacyiron_4_000.jpg

legacyiron_5_000.jpg

legacyiron_10_000.jpg

My GF 7 iron is the same loft as the 8 iron...

Can't wait for the reviews... "I can hit these a full club longer than my old set, they're amazing"...

:tsg_smiley_putter2:

• 2 weeks later...

Well these are not supposed to be game improvement. And most lofts in general in Japan are strong, game improvement or not, ie JPX E500 Forged, AF-701 TC -550 etc...

Any way here is the press conference. Momo-chan is going to play these apparently.

They are slotted right in between the X-Forged and X-20 target wise:

post-8383-1224422031.jpg

post-8383-1224422052.jpg

post-8383-1224422059.jpg

post-8383-1224422067.jpg

post-8383-1224422073.jpg

post-8383-1224422080.jpg

post-8383-1224422086.jpg

post-8383-1224422093.jpg

post-8383-1224422101.jpg

So Momo-chan is going to give up the X-Tours... I hope that she takes her time getting set into these - she has played some amazing golf with the X-Tours over the last two years.

EDIT - is she already playing these? If so, does anyone have an updated picture of her current set?

Edited by K2_2

I didn't notice if she is actually playing these yet. I saw on TV the other day, she was working with a Callaway rep testing them with the idea of putting them into play eventually. She was testing with several shafts, different weights etc... they probably need to fine tune for her still.

This design is getting released in Europe as the Diabalo. You won't see it in the US though.

Kinda strange.

The Diablo line is a replacement for the Big Bertha line-up. The Entry level of the 3 tier Callaway line.

Callaway Europe will be releasing a forged iron that is not under the "premium" line?

Edited by xxio

Kinda strange.

The Diablo line is a replacement for the Big Bertha line-up. The Entry level of the 3 tier Callaway line.

Callaway Europe will be releasing a forged iron that is not under the "premium" line?

Got the catalogue here in front of me. They told me the iron is so good they wanted to shoe horn it in to the euro range, and offer something that the US wouldn't.

Understand where you're coming from, but the Legacy branding has no resonance in Europe, and there are already three main lines, before you start advertising Legacy in it's own right as well. By piggy backing off the Diablo name people will be aware of it.

It's likely that the Diablo drivers will hit the European tour as well, as initial feedback from there staff has been positive. I also know a tour hosel version is under development on the Diablo, FT-9, and FT-IQ. whether they all see the light of day is another matter.

Shaft and grip options haven\t been announced yet. The image I've seen is a catalogue cad. Think red badge in the cavity, with the diablo logo in a dark embossing on the toe cavity. There's mention of this model too on the the todays golfer website, but no image up last time I checked.

Thank you for all the info.

I have seen and only dry swung the Diablo and the new x22s. I understand how that will appeal to a certain segment of golfers.

"Understated Techies" I told the rep when he asked who I thought would buy that club. I guess in that sense the Diablo-Legacy of Europe will target the same but with more money.

I saw Momo this week at the Kapalua Classic and she's still playing with the Callaway X forged and the Lagacy driver. Sorry I didn't take any pic's.

I saw Momo this week at the Kapalua Classic and she's still playing with the Callaway X forged and the Lagacy driver. Sorry I didn't take any pic's.

... wait. You went to Kapalua and didn't take pictures? Just kidding man, thanks for the update on the witb for Momo-chan.

More importantly, did you have a good time at the tournament? There are quite a few that I would like to watch live, and the Kapalua Classic is certainly high on the list.

... wait. You went to Kapalua and didn't take pictures? Just kidding man, thanks for the update on the witb for Momo-chan.

More importantly, did you have a good time at the tournament? There are quite a few that I would like to watch live, and the Kapalua Classic is certainly high on the list.

I took pictures with AI Miyazato and Anna Rawson. Man Anna is Hot. I got the chance to chat with the girls as well about equipments. It was a great weekend with Morgan winning.

Al, Did you get to see what AI Miyazato was playing? I believe she plays with the ViQ Forged but just wondering if you saw anything different or a prototype ViQ Forged she was playing. Sorry to get a little off the topic.

Al, Did you get to see what AI Miyazato was playing? I believe she plays with the ViQ Forged but just wondering if you saw anything different or a prototype ViQ Forged she was playing. Sorry to get a little off the topic.

Henry, she's still playing the ViQ Forged and she has the new driver from Bridgestone don't know what model, but its all blk. with red lining on the bottom.

Gocchin...any chance of "testing" these When they come out?

Gocchin...any chance of "testing" these When they come out?

They are not out till the 25th of next month but I will try see if I can hit a demo tomorrow. (^_^)

Mixed reaction on the looks ... but the lofts will definitely throw off any well sorted set of wedges.

Not as bad here as the PW is 45. The gap is inserted between the 9 and the PW. Take a look at the Beres 802 there the 10/PW is 43, basically a 9 iron so the the set is marked 5 thru 10 but its really a 4 thru 9, so you need a true PW at 45/46 but they do not offer it in steel. That could pose a problem, but not as much in this set.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent some time hitting the Legacy Forged today. (indoors off a mat unfortunately but better than nothing).

First impression, it's much better looking in person than in pictures. The finish is like a brushed steel almost like the Ping Rapture. The face area is not that big, smaller than my gamers the Epon AF-701 and about the same sole width. Perhaps a touch less offset and a touch thicker topline. Definitely gives confidence at setup.

I hit the Legacy with the 50i graphite. I was very pleasantly surprised. As easy to hit as the AF-701 and very good feeling. Solid but pretty soft and not much click even with the undercut cavity, probably due to the Vibration Absorption Rubber in the back cavity which in fact works. Off center hits did not feel harsh at all (the graphite probably helped). I've never had a Callaway Iron I could play, the X-20's were too big/bulky and the X-Forged too hard to play. But the Legacy has changed my mind. It's going to be a good one, high tech, nice feel, good forgiveness.

• 3 weeks later...

Hit the european spec diablo version of this today. Short heel to toe, thinner topline than a FT iron, more offset than the x forged, less than 22 tour, however the transition in the offset wasn't as smooth if you know what I mean. I was really impressed with these, and I'm thinking with the amount f golf I play at the moment theses could be the way forward next season.