TS 701G vs. Callaway Legacy Irons

Randy

Finally got my new Callaway Legacy irons (3-PW, AW & SW)built and they went head-to-head with irons and wedges currently in my bag, which are the TS 701G irons and TS 901 limited wedges. I've had 3 range sessions and a couple of rounds carrying both sets in my bag.

My impressions are:

Looks - TS 701Gs definitely look a little better as they have a little more of a compact look, but the Callaway Legacy irons look pretty good to me, which on reading some posts a lot of people would disagree.

Feel - For me it is a toss up between the two. I was surprised on how good both felt being that they both have undercut cavities. I have tried some other irons with the undercut cavities and didn't like the feel at all.

Forgiveness - Edge, by some margin, but not huge, goes to the Callaway Legacy irons.

Overall - I am going to go with the Callaway's. With feel being about equal, I will take some extra forgiveness over a little better looks.

I would love to keep the TS 901 limited wedges as they are some of the best wedges I have tried, but lofts just don't fit. Legacy AW and SW are not bad though.

Below are some pictures, although not that great:

post-3241-1235621736.jpg

Sole view 3 - PW, AW and SW

post-3241-1235621872.jpg

Top View (TS irons are the one on the right for each iron)

Rest are different pictures of the PW. TS on right

post-3241-1235622010.jpg

post-3241-1235622102.jpg

post-3241-1235622058.jpg

Aloha

Randy

Good work Randy. I have to agree with you. Too many people dismiss the Legacy irons due to their look but I actually like their look. A very nice finish and high tech forged iron look. As I had also mentioned in a previous post. Feel is very good. In your pictures above the 701G definitely has less offset and a thinner topline but the the Legacy is surprisingly compact as well since it is relatively short heel to toe. Both irons don't feel like undercut cavities and are great choices for someone wanting a mid to compact CB with forgiveness.

Randy,

Thanks for taking the pictures and sharing your thoughts, very much appreciated!

I guess the 09 OnOff+ didn't make the cut?

T

OnOff + 09 did not make the cut, although they are a nice set of irons. The TS 701G and Legacy irons just fit my eye better with the Legacy irons making it into the bag. Played another round with them today and am still impressed with them

• 2 years later...

I was quite impressed with the feel and the performance of the callaway legacy forged when i hit them. These are very under-rated irons. I guess the rubber insert somehow dampens the clickiness of the pocket cavity design while enhancing feel. If these fit your eyes at address, they are a great set of irons.